TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

What is your favorite part of this ride?

The first drop in the back seat is something else. It starts off with a little bit of hangtime, but once the train gets some speed it just throws you spinning down.

The corked roll is really cool too, it's a legitimate zero-g roll, where you're between the seat and the lap bar the whole time. And the first airtime hill is really good, and the first two overbanks are great. Most of the ride is pretty fantastic, except for the end. The end sucks.

It's a little hard to see in the reverse POV, but the last double down has that weird airtime that throws you forward more than out of your seat and you come crashing down on the restraint. There's also that last overbank, which is just really, really, really awkward. In a not so good way.

Don't get me wrong, SC is an amazing ride, it's just that after the first half of the Twist and Shout, it loses a looooot of momentum.

Easily one of the best things about this coaster is the placement of the on-ride photo. Finally someone put it on an airtime hill, and the results are perfect.

13128677_1297906093570405_1530791220_o.thumb.png.ac0aa2e8c504cfd602e7c564b008523c.png

sorry if that wasn't coherent purdue is really far away and we've been driving all day

What is your favorite part of this ride?

The first drop in the back seat is something else. It starts off with a little bit of hangtime, but once the train gets some speed it just throws you spinning down.

The corked roll is really cool too, it's a legitimate zero-g roll, where you're between the seat and the lap bar the whole time. And the first airtime hill is really good, and the first two overbanks are great. Most of the ride is pretty fantastic, except for the end. The end sucks.

It's a little hard to see in the reverse POV, but the last double down has that weird airtime that throws you forward more than out of your seat and you come crashing down on the restraint. There's also that last overbank, which is just really, really, really awkward. In a not so good way.

Don't get me wrong, SC is an amazing ride, it's just that after the first half of the Twist and Shout, it loses a looooot of momentum.

Easily one of the best things about this coaster is the placement of the on-ride photo. Finally someone put it on an airtime hill, and the results are perfect.

[attachment=0]13128677_1297906093570405_1530791220_o.png[/attachment]

sorry if that wasn't coherent purdue is really far away and we've been driving all day

That is to bad about the ending. I have noticed that awkwardness in the videos but did not think it would be negative.

However, from everything else it appears to be an amazing ride. Do you feel this is the "biggest surprise" for 2016 or will that go to Monster at Adventurleand or Lighting Rod?

Loooove that photo! The fact that they put it where they did! It will make me get one!

That is to bad about the ending. I have noticed that awkwardness in the videos but did not think it would be negative.

You know when you start to fall over to the side, and you start jumping to that side to correct yourself? That's what it feels like the ride is doing.

Do you feel this is the "biggest surprise" for 2016 or will that go to Monster at Adventurleand or Lighting Rod?

I'll put it this way. I'm trying to make the trip out to Adventureland this summer. Had we not been invited for media day, I probably wouldn't have done the same for KK.

Comparatively, the first half of Storm Chaser matches the insanity of Wicked Cyclone. The barrel roll drop is wonderful in the back row and the airtime on the straight hill and off-axis hills is incredible. I'd say the straight hill is easily the best airtime of the RMC's I've ridden. There are quite a few lateral moments from the off-axis hills as well.

The ride does have the downside of losing momentum after the corked roll. There is a lot of speed being killed off quickly, though you still got great airtime on those four bunny hills. It's pretty obvious to see why RMC changed the design from the outward banked turn to a standard helix.

Don't get us wrong, the ride is still Top 10-15 material, and will certainly be a hit for Kentucky Kingdom. Riding it 16 times today really made me appreciate how awesome it's design overall is!

Another thing I'd like to add. The ride experience can noticeably change depending on the time of day or if the train is empty/full. Our last ride on it felt MUCH faster than the first one. So the second half of the ride's speed is highly dependent on those factors.

Edited by Koasterking48

LOOKS SO GOOD. thanks for sharing and bring it on! can't wait to get on this bad boy. Between Storm Chaser and Lightning Run, it looks like KK has incredibly stepped up their game. Glad to see the park revived and offering stiff competition to the local market. Wish we could get Nashville back in the game.

You know when you start to fall over to the side, and you start jumping to that side to correct yourself? That's what it feels like the ride is doing.

Do you feel this is the "biggest surprise" for 2016 or will that go to Monster at Adventurleand or Lighting Rod?

I'll put it this way. I'm trying to make the trip out to Adventureland this summer. Had we not been invited for media day, I probably wouldn't have done the same for KK.

Thank you for your input. That feeling is going to personally be very interesting to deal with. Very few coasters I have ridden have done that to me. This may put a wrench in it being in my top 10.

I wish I could be at Adventureland for media day/opening. That is my true home park and they have not opening anything major like this in years!! So excited for them!

Looks like it gives a lot of airtime, especially with that first airtime hill. Shame about the ending but as long as it doesn't seriously impact the experience it shouldn't matter too much. Overall the reviews seem good, which is great

Storm Chaser looks great; as for the ending, I've seen worse on other coasters. (For a truly insane ending, try KK's Lightning Run.)

I love the plane flying overhead at the end of the video.

The planes looked to be flying ridiculously close to Storm Chaser. It was really awesome to see and hilarious during Ed Hart's speech.

Speaking of Storm Chaser, dear lord. That first airtime hill is ridiculous! There was no bad seat for that airtime! The front was just ridiculous ejector throughout the entire hill. The back was INSANE ejector getting pulled over the hill. Even the middle was wonderful floater into ejector back to floater! Overall, an incredible coaster. If you feel like riding a coaster with a fantastic ending, just head to the front of the park and ride Lightning Run for that incredible ending, and then run back to Storm Chaser for more insanity.

So wouldn't the people being overly positive be just as bad considering they haven't rode?

There are some that have legitimately rode and are confirming the suspicious of the people you hare shaking your head at. so I smh at your smh

I am very excited to ride Storm Chaser! It may not be the best roller coaster ever or as good as RMCS but it still looks amazing.

So wouldn't the people being overly positive be just as bad considering they haven't rode?

There are some that have legitimately rode and are confirming the suspicious of the people you hare shaking your head at. so I smh at your smh

I'm not talking about folk on here.

I've been reading reviews of the ride from yesterday's media day and after watching videos and whatnot, I can only say one thing: Just WAIT until the ride runs faster. The purple train runs slower than the blue. As a matter of fact, the fastest time we clocked on Storm Chaser VIA the control panel on the blue train was 11 seconds faster than the fastest time clocked on purple. 11 SECONDS! A lot of this was because of track prep/conditions/weight. There was minimal hesitation through the ending, especially the final overbank. Can't wait to see reviews once the ride is broken in more.

Wow, an 11 second difference is crazy!! haha

I've been reading reviews of the ride from yesterday's media day and after watching videos and whatnot, I can only say one thing: Just WAIT until the ride runs faster. The purple train runs slower than the blue. As a matter of fact, the fastest time we clocked on Storm Chaser VIA the control panel on the blue train was 11 seconds faster than the fastest time clocked on purple. 11 SECONDS! A lot of this was because of track prep/conditions/weight. There was minimal hesitation through the ending, especially the final overbank. Can't wait to see reviews once the ride is broken in more.

11 seconds is a huge difference. I assume that will even out but now I'm going to be trying for the blue train during my visit, even if both trains are running the same by then.

Still would love to go ride it, but wow that has to be the worst ending to a great coaster that I've ever seen.

I'd rather have the coaster lose steam towards the end of the ride and use up all of it's energy than have it slam into the brakes full speed. If it ended before the helix/overbank, people would complain that it hits the brakes with way too much speed and they under utilized the coaster's potential. Now that they actually use up every last bit of energy, enthusiasts complain. What is life.

It seems to me that most of the conversions follow a basic pattern. Inconsistent ride, with some balls-out crazy till the end, others petering out through the final elements, whether due to trains or time of day etc. Anyone who's read the reviews of NTG, Iron Rattler, and Wicked Cyclone shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

It seems to me that most of the conversions follow a basic pattern. Inconsistent ride, with some balls-out crazy till the end, others petering out through the final elements, whether due to trains or time of day etc. Anyone who's read the reviews of NTAG, Iron Rattler, and Wicked Cyclone shouldn't be surprised by any of this.

Iron Rattler perhaps, but I really thought NTAG and Wicked Cyclone were awesome up until the brake run!