TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

This coaster is going to be vicious. I remember that Alan Schilke said once that he likes working with the more compact layouts better, and it really shows. The out-and-back designs of RMC are still more amazing than most coasters, but the compact ones are almost like a step up (and not a step up under flip ).

It's like the smaller coasters can fit more intensity and "in your face" elements in their layouts. There's no meandering segments or meandering curves. This coaster may be a dark horse for best new coaster of the year. It will be hard to beat out Lightning Rod though.

Whoops, almost forgot to post mine here as well. Basically the same thing... but with snow!

2S8A9677(edited)(800x).jpg.713ca9d5c3fb34c4a98fdad821696dae.jpg

Drove up from my college town on Valentine's Day and got another look at SC considering it has been months since the last time I saw it. The big overbank now gets a little brother!

2S8A9682(edited)(800x).jpg.519f5166c3aec7b6687dbeb83829d649.jpg

So tiny!

2S8A9696(edited)(800x).jpg.92d68e782ef701111087bc2a7b055d49.jpg

Did I mention Louisville received 4 inches of snow on Valentine's Day?!

2S8A9702(edited)(800x).jpg.97bfa28e32c876a6b7ba989b793808f0.jpg

The station looking fresher than ever. I also noticed, after looking through my photos, they kept the gates on the opposite side of the station...?

2S8A9703(edited)(800x).jpg.bfbb58edb76b6757c13c80a7952bb8fa.jpg

This entire curve is complete now.

2S8A9710(edited)(800x).jpg.51c40797762c0f7dd3e56eb8dac0e793.jpg

The piece connecting the track to the station needs to be put in.

2S8A9717(edited)(800x).jpg.c2a701cdaa091dde0687c5c5ed45a5f8.jpg

Airtime x2!

2S8A9720(edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.d40a14711b66b6d0125f09df702ac152.jpg

Looking at the big and little overbanks from another angle.

2S8A9737(edited)(800x).jpg.a082bc627fd45195f76c8129fc414454.jpg

This small airtime hill will be the next big installment.

2S8A9776(edited)(800x).jpg.858b4dfe539a31d47aece6a164adbdd9.jpg

You can see the brake run on the other side of the station from here.

2S8A9778(edited)(800x).jpg.5321deabe279818de3087bf064b092ce.jpg

A closeup of the snow covered little-bank.

2S8A9787(edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.71a6cc5c5ee89cb9d740f4b673f614ee.jpg

The lift hill still needs some additional parts to it.

2S8A9808(edited)(800x).jpg.c176abf83bfaf95a22df62a2aadd8a9a.jpg

Another large piece of track waiting to be installed.

2S8A9811(edited)(800x).jpg.880acfcc9482e4e8a54f1ab144290b29.jpg

Looking from across the street at the coaster.

2S8A9686-Pano(edited)(2000x)(marcusdorsey).thumb.jpg.7b770d8b0f8f09ed099a25d449d69628.jpg

Panorama #2

2S8A9821-Pano(edited)(2000x)(marcusdorsey).thumb.jpg.f4724322659e850c097b829dc0b91590.jpg

And of course, panorama #1

2s8a9703_edited__800x_.jpg

Love this pic!! Knowing RMC, both hills should provide strong ejector with laterals mixed in. This coaster is going to surprise a lot of people I think, despite RMC's reputation. As far as RMC's go, the elements and layout is pretty simple, which I feel will actually work in its favor, ride experience-wise. It will have a clean, smooth flow with some great new and traditional elements, whereas some new RMC's are a little choppy with the things Alan like to work into the design. This will be one of the most classic designs from them (despite crazy inversions and banking on seemingly normal elements). Can't wait to check out the POV since the animations were so crappy and far off from what the final product is shaping up to be.

2s8a9703_edited__800x_.jpg

Love this pic!! Knowing RMC, both hills should provide strong ejector with laterals mixed in. This coaster is going to surprise a lot of people I think, despite RMC's reputation. As far as RMC's go, the elements and layout is pretty simple, which I feel will actually work in its favor, ride experience-wise. It will have a clean, smooth flow with some great new and traditional elements, whereas some new RMC's are a little choppy with the things Alan like to work into the design. This will be one of the most classic designs from them (despite crazy inversions and banking on seemingly normal elements). Can't wait to check out the POV since the animations were so crappy and far off from what the final product is shaping up to be.

I'm not sure Alan even designed this one, I think it may be all Joe's doing. Of course, they could split the designs up, I'm not exactly sure. I do know Joe designed Lightning Run also, so that's a good sign!

another crane on E.Adair st behind amphitheater something else coming possibly?!?!

Isn't that over near the edge of the water park and T3? I would think this is what they hinted at earlier on facebook.

Correct!!! Just went back past and now it's gone

I think they used 90% of the animation money to pay for the sexy red paint

But seriously, I've seen so many better NL2 video creators on youtube, it's not that hard or cost intensive to give a decent NL2 rendering

I think that Kentucky Kingdom has learned their lesson on this ride and will have a lot better preview for the next ride that deserves one.

I think that Kentucky Kingdom has learned their lesson on this ride and will have a lot better preview for the next ride that deserves one.

Learned their lesson? What lesson is there to be learned?

Learned their lesson? What lesson is there to be learned?

I was talking about how bad the preview was. The preview was bad and thus a lot of being decided against this coaster before it started being built. I think that the next time Kentucky Kingdom put out a preview video for another ride it will look a lot better since they had a bad experience from this one. Nonetheless, it is cool seeing how many people are taking back what they thought before based just on the preview video lol.

Making the "fancy" kinds of preview videos isn't easy - I spend enough time and resources just making 3D stills for my own projects. It can even be a nightmare sometimes.

The industry has been using NoLimits as a preview tool for years, and this sort of underestimation always happens. Recent examples (of which I too have been fooled by) include this one, Wildfire and Impulse. When you need to get buzz about a coaster out the door quickly and efficiently, NoLimits is your best bet. A roller coaster in a traditional amusement park is pretty self-explanatory, it doesn't need any fluff in its marketing. A quick POV, a logo and a few Photoshops and you're done. Going above and beyond that is basically just icing on the cake - it's no longer about what the park needs, but what it wants.

Kolmården chooses to go above and beyond in their marketing because they're banking on Wildfire to be the best roller coaster in the world and make the park known as a bonafide holiday destination. Kentucky Kingdom is pretty established already, with Storm Chaser just being another great addition to the park instead of a shockwave game-changer. In reality, only we are really underwhelmed, whereas the public looks with optimism at the park's upcoming new ride.

The industry has been using NoLimits as a preview tool for years, and this sort of underestimation always happens. Recent examples (of which I too have been fooled by) include this one, Wildfire and Impulse. When you need to get buzz about a coaster out the door quickly and efficiently, NoLimits is your best bet. A roller coaster in a traditional amusement park is pretty self-explanatory, it doesn't need any fluff in its marketing. A quick POV, a logo and a few Photoshops and you're done. Going above and beyond that is basically just icing on the cake - it's no longer about what the park needs, but what it wants.

Did you see the video though? Fine, use No Limits, but at least get a computer that will run it with decent graphics and a better frame rate. No video would've been better than what we got.