TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I saw this on BParcs Facebook last night, surprised it wasn't on here yet. Here's another element that (not-surprisingly) looks better than the initial rendering!

Sort reminds me of WC's double reverse hill. While it is a different element, it should give a similar mix of laterals/ejector, ehich was probably the most intense element on WC.

This coaster is looking better and better! Honestly, it would not surprise me if it ends up being towards the upper echelon of RMC's. It has decent length, some of RMC's best elements, a camelback which could offer the best sustained airtime moment of any RMC, and it will also throw in some unique elements as well. As long as the pacing is on point, Storm Chaser should be one helluva ride!!

We're talking about amazing inversions and high speed overbanks... and this guy ^^ is all over here like... "Dat transfer track though..."

sorry I see the coaster 2-3 times a day so the overbank is old news to me...

I was just poking fun at you. I didn't mean any offense.

I wasn't offended at all lol just was trying to figure out how its going to work being they are keeping the original station.

I wouldn't say it has decent length, it seems extremely short like outlaw run, but I expect it to be intense and airtime packed

Watching the POV, Storm Chaaer has 13 elements of substance, including 2 inversions and 8-9 airtime moments. That is decent length, and in line with most of RMC's best creations. It definitely appears to have more action packed in it than Iron Rattler or Goliath, which both have critical acclaim.

Yes, but from the top of the first hill to them remake run is less than a minute in duration, putting this on par lengthwise with about outlaw run, a short, but amazing ride.

El Toro as well is in that timeframe. I guess what we consider short is different, that's sll.

Damn this park still amazes me! Two years ago it was a SBNO Park that was over grown and decrepid, and now it is a booming Amusement park again with the closest thing to an Intamin mega lite the U.S. will see AND an amazing RMC I Box (that isn't at a SF Park BTW)! I cant wait to get back to KK. I haven't been in several years since before its closure.

I saw this on BParcs Facebook last night, surprised it wasn't on here yet. Here's another element that (not-surprisingly) looks better than the initial rendering!

I'm really surprised so many people put negativity in their faith in this ride after a silly animation. An animation of all things that was obviously rushed.

Roller "every time an animation follows an announcement, people on this site always complain and are immediately put down by others who insist that it is not a accurate representation of how the ride experience will really be, which is an accurate counter. But when the animation is obviously sloppy horse crap, somehow, everyone is convinced the ride will exactly be sloppy horse crap too" Manic

^This gets me curious as to what rides have awesome animations, but turn out worse in real life...

Also, I ran by the park this weekend again and got some more photos. I've been busy since, so I haven't been able to get it posted, but I will soon.

------

Edit: I swear, at least two or three others went to photograph Storm Chaser on the same day as I did! Either way, here are some of what I shot. For those who prefer quantity, I have most of my Storm Chaser construction update photos in its own Flickr album (to keep from crowding my normal Kentucky Kingdom album).

2S8A8469(Edited)(800x).jpg.0f0cf4deeb8aa5d32c2e7ac3427ee64d.jpg

2S8A8471(Edited)(800x).jpg.6270e8525061145360cf840df3c1ca49.jpg

2S8A8483(Edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.43180dcf9dbbc18a1d643ed23e61ed57.jpg

2S8A8509(Edited)(800x).jpg.1935ce2effd2a88abe19c56f33ca188b.jpg

New bits since the last time I was by here!

2S8A8516(Edited)(800x).jpg.420981cb513a2d37291c200c7ee8ff35.jpg

The sign is new!

2S8A8525(Edited)(800x).jpg.444360bebe96cf14c7790e49924c77b9.jpg

2S8A8528(Edited)(800x).thumb.jpg.13f7ca12fd321c6685c4126441fc9cbc.jpg

Kentucky Kingdom has updated the Calendar and Hours for the 2016 season if anybody is interested. https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/experience/hours/

Awesome, thank you! Helps with planning with my possible June trip. I like that they've labeled everything before Memorial Day as "pre-season." Hope that helps to set expectations.

^ It's not a black strip, it's basically no paint at all. It's where the wheels will be running. If you look, there is also no paint where the guide wheels will be running. I'm sure there is no paint where the upstop wheels will be running as well. They've had problems with the rides breaking in the last couple of years with the nylon wheels they've been using. The rides don't start running at full speed until the wheels essentially rip all the paint off the track where they will be running.

What Wicked Cyclone looked like under construction:

Medusa looked the same way when it was built. Here is what it looked like after nearly 10 months of operation:

thumb_medusa_pov4.jpg

This will be nuts. I wonder if the new black strips on RMC track are for friction or just added strength since WC and TC seemed to wear quickly.

I believe it's because WC (and maybe the others) had issues with the paint rubbing off on the wheels, causingcextra frictions that slowed sown the teains. The strip on SC doesn't look black...to me, it simply looks unpainted, which would go along well with my theory.

^ Got ya! Thank you! I wonder if this could also lead to B&M going back to paintless running rails, like they used to from their inception to around the late '90's?

I doubt it. I think B&M has worked so long on perfecting their coasters that they have moved away from the paintless running rails that they previously used for a reason.