TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Thats too funny. I think that Twisted Colossus is the most unimaginable RMC and the ugliest. Neon blue and green, really?

Red, brown, orange, orange, orange, neon blue / green, orange, purple / green, red, brown, brown. In that order.

I'm personally okay with a change of pace.

I would have much, much rather seen an earlier change in pace with Medusa being green and WC being blue (both of which also would make more sense. Its ironic. Oh, SFI.

Nothing against the Joker's colors. Those are great and themed appropriately.

P.S.: Lightning Rod is painted black, at least by inspection of the announcement.

Edited by RollerManic

I have 100% confirmed that Kentucky Kingdom will be my theme park vacation next year (with a swing by of Beech Bend ), can some of you regulars give me an idea of when to plan for minimal crowds? It will be a 4 or 5 day trip.

A 5 day trip to Kentucky Kingdom? Even with Storm Chaser and Lightning Run, and the waterpark if you're into that, KK is a 2 day park at the most.

Just go weekdays in June, if that doesn't work, weekends in early June shouldn't be miserable.

Oh, and stop by Holiday World while you're at it.

i'm just the kind of person who enjoys a long term experience at a good park ( get to know the nooks and crannies of the coasters ) in my opinion, that's impossible to do in a 2 day trip. You gotta be there long enough to let the excitement settle, then feel like you live there as if it was your home park. That's when you can truly take in the full aspect of a coaster. I feel that when you hit that relaxed state on a coaster you have achieved the best experience your gonna get. I recently took a 5 day trip to Carowinds, by the end of the trip, i equate riding Fury to sitting in my chair at home watching one of my favorite movies. "pleasure at it's finest". And yes i would love to do Holiday World in the same trip, but time off work and budget don't alot for it. It'll be it's own trip sometime though.

You can afford to spend five days at Kentucky Kingdom but can't afford to spend 1 day at Holiday World? Have you been to either? I could spend all summer at Holiday World, but 1 day at KK is absolutely plenty. You come here asking for advice, you shouldn't be surprised when every single person is going to tell you to change your plans.

Guys, guys, maybe mordecai just really likes Kentucky Fried Chicken and a 5-day trip to one mid-size park is all the cover story he needs.

Well, maybe I'm biased, but the fried chicken at the park IS pretty good. And if there IS a season pass involved, that gets paid-off in two to three visits to the park (only two visits if you bought one before September 30).

Speaking of which, I didn't realize it initially, but the season passes bought before September 30 included the free drinks. Every other season pass after that date will have them $1. It's not a huge difference, and not really something someone should complain about (still a far better deal than any other larger-chain park...), I just wonder how they're going to separate the passes when the time comes.

Speaking of which, I didn't realize it initially, but the season passes bought before September 30 included the free drinks. Every other season pass after that date will have them $1. It's not a huge difference, and not really something someone should complain about (still a far better deal than any other larger-chain park...), I just wonder how they're going to separate the passes when the time comes.

...barcodes?

^I would assume they will be getting a season pass and intend on getting their money's worth....at least that's what I would do if I planned to spend more than 2 days at a park (like I did with Carowinds this year and Dollywood last year).

exactly.

I have 100% confirmed that Kentucky Kingdom will be my theme park vacation next year (with a swing by of Beech Bend ), can some of you regulars give me an idea of when to plan for minimal crowds? It will be a 4 or 5 day trip.

I will be glad to see you at Beech Bend next year! My advice is just do not come on a Saturday they get kinda crazy especially the line for the wild mouse and do not cut yourself short on time plan on spending at least a full day. Plus if you have never rode it, the Kentucky Rumbler is AWESOME!!! Also Air Race, Vortex, SeaDragon, and hopefully some new surprises for next year!

Thank you, i've watched a walkthrough of the park and it looks to a great little place. Rumbler is the whole reason i'm stopping by, it'll be my second GCI, can't wait! We will definitely make a full day of it though.

^I would assume they will be getting a season pass and intend on getting their money's worth....at least that's what I would do if I planned to spend more than 2 days at a park (like I did with Carowinds this year and Dollywood last year).

exactly.

I still think you should spend no more than 2 days at Kentucky Kingdom. We were done with the park after 3ish hours, and if we would've done the water park it still would've been a day trip. I mean, it's your call, and I kind of get the "getting to really know the park" thing, but I still would highly recommend doing both HW and KK.

If you can't afford 2 days at KK and a few at HW, just do 1 day at Kentucky Kingdom and get HW's 2 day pass (I'm pretty sure that's a real thing...), which shouldn't be that much more than the price of 5 days at KK. Just do the coasters and whatever you want at KK and do a few of their water park's stand-out attractions, which won't even take up a full day (especially on a weekday) and then hop on over to HW and do their coasters and flat rides one day and their world-class water park the next.

Like I said though, it's your trip, do whatever you really want to do. I just wanted to tell you how I'd do a trip like yours. The main reason I'm trying to steer you away from 5 days at KK is that (IMO) it really isn't that great of a park. Lightning Run and FearFall were great, and Storm Chaser looks great too, but I cannot fathom doing 5 days there. It still feels very much like a SF park, from the landscaping to the employees to the crowds to the layout, I could go on. Maybe it's improved since my last visit, but I had a friend visit this year and she wasn't a fan of the place either.

However, if you are really stuck on have a relaxing, one-park, week-long trip, I'd do a week at Holiday World in 2016. Yes, Storm Chaser looks great, but Holiday World is a much more matured park, KK still is working on getting its kinks. Do a week long trip to KK in a couple of years when they've gotten some more rides and have cleaned up the place more.

I don't know, it's your choice, and you seem to have a different idea of what an ideal theme park trip would be like, and I totally respect that. I just want to make sure you have the best trip possible, even if it is a week at Kentucky Kingdom.

If you want the real "home park" experience, you'll need to repeat what you're doing for years on end until you become bitter at the experience and desire something different. Kentucky Kingdom is probably 1/3 the park Carowinds is. I could definitely have a good day there. I might even be able to push it and have a couple good days there with healthy hanging out at the water park. Unless you want to go to the opera/ballet, visit Churchill Downs, go to minor league baseball, and maybe take a boat ride down the Ohio, you should perhaps consider some of the other advice being provided.

If you want the real "home park" experience, you'll need to repeat what you're doing for years on end until you become bitter at the experience and desire something different.

Hence why I still believe Great Adventure is pretty horrible while others feel it's one of the top three in the chain. I grew up 10 miles from the place and had a season pass pretty much every year from when I could walk to my second year of college. Sometime during high school it stopped being something cool and awesome to being something to do to waste time.

exactly.

I still think you should spend no more than 2 days at Kentucky Kingdom. We were done with the park after 3ish hours, and if we would've done the water park it still would've been a day trip. I mean, it's your call, and I kind of get the "getting to really know the park" thing, but I still would highly recommend doing both HW and KK.

If you can't afford 2 days at KK and a few at HW, just do 1 day at Kentucky Kingdom and get HW's 2 day pass (I'm pretty sure that's a real thing...), which shouldn't be that much more than the price of 5 days at KK. Just do the coasters and whatever you want at KK and do a few of their water park's stand-out attractions, which won't even take up a full day (especially on a weekday) and then hop on over to HW and do their coasters and flat rides one day and their world-class water park the next.

Like I said though, it's your trip, do whatever you really want to do. I just wanted to tell you how I'd do a trip like yours. The main reason I'm trying to steer you away from 5 days at KK is that (IMO) it really isn't that great of a park. Lightning Run and FearFall were great, and Storm Chaser looks great too, but I cannot fathom doing 5 days there. It still feels very much like a SF park, from the landscaping to the employees to the crowds to the layout, I could go on. Maybe it's improved since my last visit, but I had a friend visit this year and she wasn't a fan of the place either.

However, if you are really stuck on have a relaxing, one-park, week-long trip, I'd do a week at Holiday World in 2016. Yes, Storm Chaser looks great, but Holiday World is a much more matured park, KK still is working on getting its kinks. Do a week long trip to KK in a couple of years when they've gotten some more rides and have cleaned up the place more.

I don't know, it's your choice, and you seem to have a different idea of what an ideal theme park trip would be like, and I totally respect that. I just want to make sure you have the best trip possible, even if it is a week at Kentucky Kingdom.

thanks for the advice, it really is appreciated. But honestly, doesn't anyone remember being a kid? Going to a county fair or such? You got all excited because you could ride the gravitron over and over. My vacation is based around doing that with an opening year inverting RMC. From the way you all challenge my way of thinking, i may end up being the guy who holds the record for most rides on Storm Chaser in it's opening year, (and i give the back side of a rat's butthole about that) just gonna go, relax , treat it like a beach. (you get there, that's your destination, nothings gonna change while your there. So own the experience)

If you want the real "home park" experience, you'll need to repeat what you're doing for years on end until you become bitter at the experience and desire something different.

Hence why I still believe Great Adventure is pretty horrible while others feel it's one of the top three in the chain. I grew up 10 miles from the place and had a season pass pretty much every year from when I could walk to my second year of college. Sometime during high school it stopped being something cool and awesome to being something to do to waste time.

I had a similar experience with Kings Dominion. Season passes for several years, worked there one summer... Finally got tired of Paramount destroying the feel of the park in the late 90's. I warmed back up to KD when I305 opened though!

...barcodes?

Well, there's that, but I was wondering about the aesthetics of the card and whether there would be a different color pass with different graphics or images on it.