TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

does KK have lot's of space for future expansion? i'm just curious as i have never seen it in person. might get up there next year though.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe KK (or the fair board idk which) owns all the land behind deep water dive, T3, and Raging Rapids, which includes the vacant parking lot between the hotels and the waterpark. Again, I'm not 100% sure but I do believe they own all that

All the recent momentum with the professional soccer team may be an interesting wrinkle for the Fair Board - Old Cardinal Stadium is probably too far gone to save, but the Fair Board could replace the stadium with something more soccer-friendly (9000-10000 seats, grass field, etc. - the drainage system is still in place) with the condition they get to use it during the State Fair for concerts. They may be willing to sell some land to Kentucky Kingdom to raise some cash. A smaller stadium would still allow the Fair Board to construct their storage building that they want to build upon demolishing the current stadium.

Kentucky Kingdom doesn't really appear to be using its amphitheater, so removing that could free up some space as well. I went to a couple of concerts there during the Six Flags era, so there could still be some plans for it for 2016 or beyond.

When it's time for Broadbent Arena to come down, that will be time for Kentucky Kingdom to literally move the front gate closer to Freedom Hall - a new arena could always be be built elsewhere on the property if it's needed, and it opens up space for the theme park further away from the airport.

You could say Old Cardinal Stadium is too far gone... It was completely demolished last winter. I wouldn't anticipate a soccer stadium coming to the Fairgrounds. The Fair Board is notoriously difficult to deal with and after the difficulties had with the Bats organization, LCFC will not be building at the Fairgrounds.

I think what KK needs to do is get rid of the Motion theater (something that will never happen) and continue construction back into the parking lot to the northwest. The park is already very disjointed, and adding rides behind T3 and the waterpark would only contribute to that. Adding in the front section of the park would put more dry rides in a location that has some semblance of "flow."

Old Cardinal Stadium is very much still there. I drive by it on my way to work every day.

According to what I've read, in order for Louisville City Football to participate in MLS, their stadium has to be built downtown. This would rule out a fairgrounds location. That's a lot of eventual empty space for KK to move into.

^ Seems such an odd requirement. I know MLS has standards for how the stadia are to be built, but I can't imagine why they would impose a location requirement. They don't with other teams; heck, Sporting KC's stadium is out by Schlitterbahn!

http://www.kvia.com/news/mls-commissioner-stadium-in-downtown-necessary-for-all-future-mls-expansion-franchises/26514652

http://www.wave3.com/story/29887171/louisville-city-fc-eyes-potential-sites-for-stadium

In order for the team to become part of Major League Soccer, the stadium would have to be downtown. At least that's what the MLS commissioner has indicated, Duffy said.

Seems like a recent push. I think their downtown stadiums have been more successful so they're pushing all future franchises towards downtown locations.

And to keep us on topic... AIRTIME!

Interesting. Sounds like that would be a step forward for the city if it can happen.

Wait for it....

Just like Kentucky Kingdom's return is a great step forward for the city. I've been holding out for the rides to be fully re-opened, but I am definitely looking forward to getting out there, if not next year then 2017. If Storm Chaser turns out as well as anticipated, it and Lightning Run will be quite the headlining pair.

soccer is for nancy girls, coasters are for men. anyone who play's soccer should try a man's sport and play American Football. GO VOLS!

Is the game booth where you could win either a Tennessee or Louisville basketball still there? That seemed like an odd combination given the proximity of UK and IU.

^ i wouldn't know as i have not had the pleasure of visiting KK yet. but at my home park Dollywood, they have basketballs, footballs, and various other prizes of schools hundred's of miles away. i've never understood why, my best guess is that maybe they just want to appeal to out of state folk, " gotta satisfy that one person looking for a UCLA basketball in pigeon forge" , or maybe they just get'em on the cheap. however, "every theme park should have Tennessee Volunteer merchandise, there can never be enough orange in the world". j/k. "Go Vols"!

^ i wouldn't know as i have not had the pleasure of visiting KK yet. but at my home park Dollywood, they have basketballs, footballs, and various other prizes of schools hundred's of miles away. i've never understood why, my best guess is that maybe they just want to appeal to out of state folk, " gotta satisfy that one person looking for a UCLA basketball in pigeon forge" , or maybe they just get'em on the cheap. however, "every theme park should have Tennessee Volunteer merchandise, there can never be enough orange in the world". j/k. "Go Vols"!

Sorry but this is all I think of when I hear anything UT...

haha sorry, Go Cats.

after seeing the announcement of The Joker, Storm Chaser looks much better in my opinion, "but neither one as sweet as Lightning Rod"

Actually, I agree. I feel like the layout is a little more ordered and purposeful, less random. And I just love the big airtime hill intro, to me that's the best way to start a ride.