TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

For some reason, I have a feeling that they will just completely cut off a side of this coaster and make it have a single track. I bet it'll still be great, maybe even have a Medusa drop, but I really doubt they will keep it racing. (And definitely no launches). I just don't think they have the budget for it.

For some reason, I have a feeling that they will just completely cut off a side of this coaster and make it have a single track. I bet it'll still be great, maybe even have a Medusa drop, but I really doubt they will keep it racing. (And definitely no launches). I just don't think they have the budget for it.

This. I bet they utilize some of side 2 but not all. We have yet to see anything that points to a launch, but they couldn't utilize all of both sides with only one lift.

This. I bet they utilize some of side 2 but not all. We have yet to see anything that points to a launch, but they couldn't utilize all of both sides with only one lift.

I like this idea actually, it's like we're getting a custom RMC, I don't think I would refer to this ride as Twisted Twins iron horse anymore. It's exiting to think of the completely new name it will receive since Twisted Twins and Double Trouble are now out of the window.

True, it would be cool if there was a barrel roll right before the brake run like on some wing coasters. But I hope that the ride rips through its course at a consistent, fast, speed like lightning run. Which will probably happen if ride centerline designs, which will most likely happen.

That would be cool, honestly I think 2 inversions is the most this coaster should have. I would prefer 1 just to mix in a little variety with the airtime and over banks. I think it was a great idea shortening TT into 1 layout. It shows that they will be careful when spending money, and that they won't spend to much or go all out year after year. They know they are a small park, and they know their limits.

Just left the Park, T3 is just as rough as before minus the Head banging. As far as Twisted Twins, one lift hill has had the bottom half of it's lift removed and the one other as had the top of it's lift plus half the turn around removed to the first drop. Not much track left on any of the coaster at all, no telling what they are doing. Didn't get any pics as I was driving down Crittenden Drive beside it.

Edited by ratdogg68

Wow, this is getting pretty interesting, I can honestly say I'm more exited for this than I was for thunderbird. What would be funny (and cruel) though would be if Ed was taking pieces of TT off to make the enthusiasts Rock hard. And then just get some bulldozers and knock the whole thing down, while watching all the enthusiasts dreams get crushed.

Wow, this is getting pretty interesting, I can honestly say I'm more exited for this than I was for thunderbird. What would be funny (and cruel) though would be if Ed was taking pieces of TT off to make the enthusiasts Rock hard. And then just get some bulldozers and knock the whole thing down, while watching all the enthusiasts dreams get crushed.

I posted the comment below on Robbs video for Lightening Run and decided to go ahead and post it here. While at the park I was discussing if I should (and wondered if I really wanted to) describe my day at KK and at the time decided not to do so but after spending a few hours on YouTube enjpying TPR vidoes and having the video of Lightening Run show up as something I should watch I decided to speak up about how bad my day was at Kentucky Kingdom. It was years before Six Flags closed the park after I had a bad day there, it has be 2 years (I think) since the park reopened without Six Flags and it still was a bad experience. It will be MANY years before I bother to try again!

"Was at KK yesterday (07/16/15) and while this coaster was super FUN to ride the park itself was a non-FUN experience. Single trains on all the coasters, waits as longs an hour for rides that should have been less than 15 minutes if being used to their full capacity or simply if the people running the rides actually cared about the guest experience and made the effort to try and speed things up. I hated this park when it was Six Flags and honestly don't have anything nice to say about it now! Horrible is the best way to describe it."

edit... I could have used my ClubTPR discount when buying tickets online it would have saved me and extra $20.00 for the 2 of us but decided not to, figured the already discounted online price was good enough and just bought the tickets. My mistake! After spending the day at the park the $20.00 I could have saved still would not have made up for the how ridiculous the park operations were.

I posted the comment below on Robbs video for Lightening Run and decided to go ahead and post it here. While at the park I was discussing if I should (and wondered if I really wanted to) describe my day at KK and at the time decided not to do so but after spending a few hours on YouTube enjpying TPR vidoes and having the video of Lightening Run show up as something I should watch I decided to speak up about how bad my day was at Kentucky Kingdom. It was years before Six Flags closed the park after I had a bad day there, it has be 2 years (I think) since the park reopened without Six Flags and it still was a bad experience. It will be MANY years before I bother to try again!

"Was at KK yesterday (07/16/15) and while this coaster was super FUN to ride the park itself was a non-FUN experience. Single trains on all the coasters, waits as longs an hour for rides that should have been less than 15 minutes if being used to their full capacity or simply if the people running the rides actually cared about the guest experience and made the effort to try and speed things up. I hated this park when it was Six Flags and honestly don't have anything nice to say about it now! Horrible is the best way to describe it."

edit... I could have used my ClubTPR discount when buying tickets online it would have saved me and extra $20.00 for the 2 of us but decided not to, figured the already discounted online price was good enough and just bought the tickets. My mistake! After spending the day at the park the $20.00 I could have saved still would not have made up for the how ridiculous the park operations were.

Did you tell guest services?

I had this suspicion! I knew it!

I imaginne they are going to reuse the footprint, maybe for some bunny hills.

Sorry to hear you had a horrible time at the park. I can understand your pain for single trains on Thunder Run and T3 (if you got to try it), but if Lightning Run was only 1 train, then that might have been a bit inexcusable. The only time you'll really see 15 minute waits or less are on days of inclement weather, or some days in May or early June.

And just to update anyone else trying to hit Kentucky Kingdom anytime this summer, make T3 a priority. People wait for the park to open, then immediately power-walk their way to the back just to hop in line. A little over an hour after park opening can see to 30-45+ minute waits on certain days. Later in the day, it can get to over an hour.

While I understand the frustration, I'm not entirely sure what your expectation was for your visit. It has been well documented that KK has been running one train ops on their coasters (lightning run is the only one that currently has the ability to run more than one train). Also, the slow checking procedures have been a topic of conversation. In its current state and for a multitude of reasons, KK is not able to run as well as a regional park.

On my visits, the key has been patience and tempered expectations. With that in mind, I have had some good times at KK.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. After visiting parks like Dollywood, Holiday World and recently Canobie Lake Park where the customer service is superior, I can truly say that I hope Kentucky Kingdom does something to correct this. I have heard and read countless reviews saying employees are rude, unenthusiastic and slow. This park has potential, but will not succeed if they don't find a way to make their employees smile and engage with guests. You can almost forgive a long wait in line if the employees make you feel welcome.

I would only add that KK is the only park I've ever been to where certain employees were upbeat and enthusiastic, but STILL moved achingly slow. We talked about this before, but it appeared that everyone at KK has been told to be careful and take their time, and what they need is a top-down change in overall employee atmosphere where more attention is given to throughput. Hopefully, if they go a couple more years without decapitating anyone's feet or whatever, that can happen.