TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Not saying this applies to you at all, but there's some inner-city bias at work when it comes to people's opinions regarding KK. For some people out there, where a park falls on the scale from "ghetto" to "family friendly" primarily has to do with how many white people they see.

My "ghetto" comment wasn't directed at any specific race (there were far more examples of "white trash" at KK then at any other park I've been to), but IMO the park is not a nice-looking park at all, and the crowds themselves are very obnoxious. Smoking in queues, having obscene conversations, I could go on. There was a restaurant extremely visible coming into the water park with a torn facade, the very awkward layout of the entire place, the landscaping under LR (at least that one's been fixed by now). That's something that should've been a top priority.

I've said a lot of bad things about the place, but I'll try and not do that anymore because I'm starting feel like a broken record. I just don't get how people can honestly say that KK is anywhere near the level of HW at this point. But to each their own, I guess. I'm glad the people of Kentucky have a park to go to once again, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. Hopefully when I go back I have a more positive experience.

Why wouldn't we consider them in the same league? Before the park was sold to six flags, it had nearly 1.5 million people visiting it a year, way more than HW has ever had. They're about the same size in terms of attractions, and maybe most importantly, they're about an hour drive apart. I've been to KK plenty of times since it opened back and haven't been put off by the clientele; it's the standard amusement park fare. I also thought the landscaping was surprisingly nice considering its surrounded by highways/airports. Not saying it's as good of an experience as HW, but I'm sure KK is going to make it much harder for HW to continue to expand its market.

Not saying this applies to you at all, but there's some inner-city bias at work when it comes to people's opinions regarding KK. For some people out there, where a park falls on the scale from "ghetto" to "family friendly" primarily has to do with how many white people they see.

My "ghetto" comment wasn't directed at any specific race (there were far more examples of "white trash" at KK then at any other park I've been to), but IMO the park is not a nice-looking park at all, and the crowds themselves are very obnoxious. Smoking in queues, having obscene conversations, I could go on. There was a restaurant extremely visible coming into the water park with a torn facade, the very awkward layout of the entire place, the landscaping under LR (at least that one's been fixed by now). That's something that should've been a top priority.

I've said a lot of bad things about the place, but I'll try and not do that anymore because I'm starting feel like a broken record. I just don't get how people can honestly say that KK is anywhere near the level of HW at this point. But to each their own, I guess. I'm glad the people of Kentucky have a park to go to once again, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. Hopefully when I go back I have a more positive experience.

Why wouldn't we consider them in the same league? Before the park was sold to six flags, it had nearly 1.5 million people visiting it a year, way more than HW has ever had. They're about the same size in terms of attractions, and maybe most importantly, they're about an hour drive apart. I've been to KK plenty of times since it opened back and haven't been put off by the clientele; it's the standard amusement park fare. I also thought the landscaping was surprisingly nice considering its surrounded by highways/airports. Not saying it's as good of an experience as HW, but I'm sure KK is going to make it much harder for HW to continue to expand its market.

I've been to a decent amount of theme parks and the clientele at KK was by far the most obnoxious. Maybe I was just unlucky, I don't know, but I wasn't imagining the people in the queues blowing smoke in my face. Haven't experienced anything that bad at any other park.

Anyways...

It's not that big of a deal, but why did the park's website change so drastically? The old design was a lot more classier and cleaner. This new one is kinda awful.

Anyways...

It's not that big of a deal, but why did the park's website change so drastically? The old design was a lot more classier and cleaner. This new one is kinda awful.

The new design is meant to operate with phones as well as PCs, it appears. Not a great choice as far as PC experience goes, but I think it helps ease site maintenance.

Its set nearly in stone now. However, Ghostrider retrack could be for CA - not sure if RMC considers this type of work a major project.

I wish I could apply. I wouldn't mind driving to Pigeon Forge.

'emailed Lance.

RMC confirmed that there's one Six Flags project next year, it will be SFDK

I know. Nobody of RMC has made any statement about SFDK though, to make that clear. What I am saying is that *possibly* only two of these are the "projects" Alan has been talking about, and the last (CA) is simply a minor retracking. What kind of entitlement do enthusiasts have to think Alan isn't summarizing?

I would assume that when Alan says "three", he really is saying "pretty much-". In fact, that how I take every "[so-so] said this" sort of thing. I could see RMC doing sone other retracking (even traditional retracking) later this year.

I do wonder why Roar East us not done first. Maybe transportation costs? The older, worse, and PTC trains of the two. In fact, I foresee SFDK shipping their Millennium Flyers over to SFA.

Edited by RollerManic

I know. Nobody of RMC has made any statement about SFDK though, to make that clear. What I am saying is that only two of these are the "projects" Alan has been talking about, and the last is simply a minor retracking.

I would assume that when Alan says "three", he really is saying "pretty much-". In fact, that how I take every "[so-so] said this" sort of thing. I could see RMC doing sone other retracking (even traditional retracking) later this year.

I do wonder why Roar East us not done first. Maybe transportation costs? The older, worse, and PTC trains of the two. In fact, I foresee SFDK shipping their Millennium Flyers over to SFA.

Not sure what you mean by "only two of these are the projects". Theres no way SFDK would not be a full I-Box. It wont just some topper track.

Oops. I forgot. The retracking was directed at Apocalypse or Ghostrider.

A lot of people want a moibus loop on TT, but theyre forgetting that the pre-lifts are entirely mirrored /opposite to each other (with no way to take the turn at any substantial speed), hence the facing lifts.

What color was the steel spotted on site?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the helix at the base of the front lift. I would rather see a station flyby worked in.

T3 has enough of the red hues to last the park for years. I'm rooting for lime green and teal ala Fury 325. Although I wonder if they'll go with the original train colors....

OOOH. Pink and teal tracks! I like that idea. The park is good at the semi-subtle throwbacks!