TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Woah! Check the FB page. Free parking to all season pass holders!! That's a game changer there.

I'm sure more people will be buying them now. Many were complaining about that problem.

Even at its best, KK never offered free parking. I would say the Fair Board a lot easier to work with lately, since they've lost pretty much every other major attraction at the fairgrounds. This is way better news for locals than any of the kingdomseven things

I just saw it on Facebook, and my jaw absolutely dropped! You know you pay off your season pass in just two visits to the park, right?!

Two visits with at-gate pricing: $99.90

Two visits with online pricing: $79.90

Two (or more) visits with current price of Season Pass: $69.95

I didn't include the $8 parking cost in those, so this is a SPLENDID deal!

(I feel like I'm marketing for them now... but it's a big deal for locals!)

I just saw it on Facebook, and my jaw absolutely dropped! You know you pay off your season pass in just two visits to the park, right?!

Two visits with at-gate pricing: $99.90

Two visits with online pricing: $79.90

Two (or more) visits with current price of Season Pass: $69.95

I didn't include the $8 parking cost in those, so this is a SPLENDID deal!

(I feel like I'm marketing for them now... but it's a big deal for locals!)

I feel the same way. Its hands down the best season pass deal anywhere around. I've told so many people this morning as well and I know six of my friends bought theirs today after the news. Several were people who don't live in Lousiville were on the fence about purchasing them, but went ahead after this. I can't believe they left the price so cheap and added free parking. They easily got 100$ from me in parking last season, so I would expect changes in the season pass prices later/next season, but this is a very nice perk this year!

Hopefully this will encourage parents to stay with their kids instead of dropping them off! I always thought the parking prices had a little bit to do with the amount of unaccompanied kids in the park

Hopefully this will encourage parents to stay with their kids instead of dropping them off! I always thought the parking prices had a little bit to do with the amount of unaccompanied kids in the park
This would be a nice change. More families enjoying the park together and not treating it like a daycare, and less unaccompanied kids/teens causing any ruckus at the parks.

-----

A quick blurb from WDRB

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The Kentucky State Fair Board is granting free parking rights to season pass holders to Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay.

The board approved the decision on Thursday.

The theme park will pay the fair board an additional $400,000 annually for the parking privileges.

"You would think that adding eight rides, providing $1 soft drinks, unlimited admissions would be enough to satisfy our ever-growing base of season pass holders, but I will tell you that free parking is something that they will definitely respond to," said John Mulcahy, a spokesperson for Kentucky Kingdom.

Free parking for season holders will go into effect on the park's opening weekend, which is April 25.

This would be a nice change. More families enjoying the park together and not treating it like a daycare, and less unaccompanied kids/teens causing any ruckus at the parks.

-----

Sorry to break it to you guys, at my place of work we have dealt with this problem since season passes have been introduced, and free parking and even free general admission doesn't seem to make a difference one bit. Even on the days we restrict free general admission for unaccompanied minors, they still arrive with parents and the parents seem to turn them loose on the place. Management addresses the issue the best they can by threatening and following through with revoking passes either temporarily or for the entire season for those who misbehave (our wristband bar-code system tells us which season pass each wristband belongs to). I haven't been to KK to see how well they handle it, but I have found that you need to set the standard early and follow through with it to keep the "daycare" kids from thinking they run the place. Local parks that are reasonably priced and easily accessible from major residential areas are never going to fully eliminate the daycare problem, but they are forced to have make the best of the situation.

Without giving names, I do know of one park that severely put a dent into this problem by outright jacking up the prices for season passes. Pass volume was reduced obviously, but many of the problems that they believed ruined the value of the park for others were reduced to a minimum.

-----

Sorry to break it to you guys, at my place of work we have dealt with this problem since season passes have been introduced, and free parking and even free general admission doesn't seem to make a difference one bit. Even on the days we restrict free general admission for unaccompanied minors, they still arrive with parents and the parents seem to turn them loose on the place. Management addresses the issue the best they can by threatening and following through with revoking passes either temporarily or for the entire season for those who misbehave (our wristband bar-code system tells us which season pass each wristband belongs to). I haven't been to KK to see how well they handle it, but I have found that you need to set the standard early and follow through with it to keep the "daycare" kids from thinking they run the place. Local parks that are reasonably priced and easily accessible from major residential areas are never going to fully eliminate the daycare problem, but they are forced to have make the best of the situation.

Without giving names, I do know of one park that severely put a dent into this problem by outright jacking up the prices for season passes. Pass volume was reduced obviously, but many of the problems that they believed ruined the value of the park for others were reduced to a minimum.

I went many times last year and it wasn't really too much of a problem. I know KK got a bad reputation in the past for having lots of uncapponaied kids, but this year it didn't seem any worse than Kings Island or other major parks. It is worse than Holiday World, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the park in any way. I did see one instance of line cutting and security took the kid out. I also saw one kid being taken out of the park (or appears to be) and this was in 10 or so full day visits. I'm not sure I would even have noticed otherwise. So whatever the park is doing, it must be working to some extent.

I think we will see lots of small noticeable improvements this year, especially in the food offerings. I talked to someone in management there and they said it was very hard to even know how much food, cups, plates, etc to order. Which caused them to run out of stuff occasionally. We talked about some of the food and they said they cooked a lot more things in house than most parks, which I really appreciated. They had fresh pita chips, tap beers, good salsa, and lots of things I didnt find at other parks which have chains taking care of the bulk of the food. Plus the prices were good if you have a season pass.

I'm still just impressed that they took that overgrown, pillaged, shell of a park that six flags left behind and made it into KK in a year.

Took a drive by the park the other day.

1549999703_photo1.thumb.JPG.86d5117112d4d09776e7c49738458e40.JPG

Enterprise is fully assembled and ready to go.

1361465802_photo2.thumb.JPG.b44c500c8dfaf527c5e2db4c6d9b51e1.JPG

This new Zamperla ride now resides in Rainbow's former location.

1188571693_photo3.thumb.JPG.802a5ef4ec3d2323ad69d3c5a6af5ddc.JPG

The location where Cyclos will be is still vacant.

1706062690_photo4.thumb.JPG.0fdce1e2ee65e6d2a30a432410cea915.JPG

Skycatcher is now complete as well! Interesting placement with this one.

1798404499_photo5.thumb.JPG.2a948afb3e76a1a9d5214e6fdea352b0.JPG

The dragsters are now gone, but Greezed Lightnin's train is still on site.

-----

I went many times last year and it wasn't really too much of a problem. I know KK got a bad reputation in the past for having lots of uncapponaied kids, but this year it didn't seem any worse than Kings Island or other major parks. It is worse than Holiday World, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the park in any way. I did see one instance of line cutting and security took the kid out. I also saw one kid being taken out of the park (or appears to be) and this was in 10 or so full day visits. I'm not sure I would even have noticed otherwise. So whatever the park is doing, it must be working to some extent.

I think we will see lots of small noticeable improvements this year, especially in the food offerings. I talked to someone in management there and they said it was very hard to even know how much food, cups, plates, etc to order. Which caused them to run out of stuff occasionally. We talked about some of the food and they said they cooked a lot more things in house than most parks, which I really appreciated. They had fresh pita chips, tap beers, good salsa, and lots of things I didnt find at other parks which have chains taking care of the bulk of the food. Plus the prices were good if you have a season pass.

I'm still just impressed that they took that overgrown, pillaged, shell of a park that six flags left behind and made it into KK in a year.

The park had far less problems with guests (especially younger ones) after the initial days of opening. They took care of the problems right away, and I think some of the things that helped were having ambassadors as well as a small handful of LPD wander throughout the park to keep peace. It wasn't a major issue (if any issue at all) in the latter 3/4ths of when the park was open.

And you're definitely right about not completely eliminating the "daycare" aspect, especially since there are neighborhoods that are merely walking-distance from the park.

Definitely a good move....I could hit LR before work without shelling out $8. I'll buy a funnel cake to help make up for it haha.

I have a feeling that was part of the plan - get people in the park a few more times and have them spend more on food, locker rentals, etc. rather than on parking. At $400,000, the park is only subsidizing 50,000 visits (50,000 x $8), and it had 555,000 last year. I'm really surprised the State Fair Board let Kentucky Kingdom pull it off for that little. The bad part is that this probably rules out the park opening in October, unless if it is willing to renegotiate the parking lease.

Other events booked during the Spring and Summer months could benefit as well because any season pass holder could go to an event elsewhere on the KEC grounds for free (aside from the State Fair).

I totally underestimated the potential for Twisted Twins becoming one long RMC coaster, and would be fully onboard with seeing something like this happening if they did. That coaster probably could have gotten rid of that barrel roll into a helix at the end of the yellow section, but the rest of the coaster looks like fun!