TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Oh boy, this might cause a scheduling conflict concerning next season's plans when it comes to visiting amusement parks. Already I decided to wait until 2016 before revisiting Kentucky Kingdom ( in hopes I'll lose enough weight to ride Lighting Run and see what they did with Twisted Twins), but with all the excitement they're generating with T3 and several other rides, I feel like I might want to revisit the park next season.

Perhaps they should rename the park Temptation Kingdom.

Apparently two people have filed lawsuits against Kentucky Kingdom for giving them the wrong tubes and causing injuries at Hurricane Bay... I'm waiting for the story to show up online.

Edit: Here we go.

Two lawsuits filed alleging untrained staff at Kentucky Kingdom led to water slide injuries

Source

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) – A pair of lawsuits have been filed against Kentucky Kingdom alleging staff at Hurricane Bay is improperly trained and allowed the plaintiffs to use the wrong tube for the water slide they were on, causing them to fall out and hurt themselves.

The lawsuits were filed by attorney Hal Friedman on behalf of Brandon McClellan and Felicia Evans, who Friedman believes were on the ride together.

Both lawsuits claim staff at the water park instructed and/or allowed the plaintiffs to use the wrong tube for the slide they were on, which is what caused them to fall out of the tube and get hurt.

McClellan claims to have suffered a shoulder injury in the fall, while Evans claims to have suffered a head injury which causes her seizures.

Evans's lawsuit alleges staff members at the bottom of the slide were improperly trained on what to do in the event of an injury. When Evans reached the bottom of the slide, the lawsuit states she “received little or no assistance from Kentucky Kingdom employees, who appeared untrained and unclear regarding their obligations or responsibilities.”

The lawsuits ask for punitive damages and compensation for the plaintiffs in an amount to be determined based on the facts of the case.

Kentucky Kingdom sent the following statements:

"We do not comment on pending litigation. For their own safety, we expect guests to follow all instructions relating to rider responsibilities. This includes the instructions given by Kentucky Kingdom's ride operators, pre-recorded audio instructions and signs posted at each attraction which detail the park's rules and regulations for that attraction.

"As we know, there are always two sides to every story. Kentucky Kingdom strongly disputes Mr. McClellan and Ms. Evans account of the incident.

[Kentucky Kingdom] completely supports its staff of over 100 lifeguards who worked diligently this past summer to keep the water park safe and enjoyable for the almost 600,000 men, women and children who experienced it."

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved."

I don't get it, there is only a certain set of tubes for each slide. They only use 2 different tubes, singles and doubles. Unless they carried a tube from another slide, they shouldn't have received the wrong tube. Sounds like someone is just wanting some money, I'm sure this will be dismissed.

I've actually had this happen to me before, minus the injuries. I was at Soak City at Cedar Point in 2010, and the attendant at the top let us use rafts for the body slides. It was her first day, and she didn't know they were solely body slides. I'm not saying that KK is at fault here, but it is plausible.

The tubes at Mt. slide Hai (the original slide complex) do vary in size, but only slightly. If it's any other slide, then I second what ratdog said above. I'm not sure how an "incorrect" tube could've been the cause of an injury, or cause one in the first place. Besides, it's mostly up to the guests to make sure they don't end up in situations like this in the first place. Hopefully the lifeguards didn't just stand there and stare when the actual emergencies came up.

The news story is pretty vague, so it's nearly impossible to make any logical conclusions. It doesn't even state that the plaintiffs requested medical attention right away.

I also found this quite odd:

The lawsuits were filed by attorney Hal Friedman on behalf of Brandon McClellan and Felicia Evans, who Friedman believes were on the ride together.

So he filed the lawsuits for them and only BELIEVES they rode together? Typical attorney BS...

I don't know about any of you, but I don't mind that shade of red.

I like the color, too. But I am generally not a fan of single-color paintjobs and would have preferred if the supports were black or something, to mix it up. Otherwise it just turns into a big blob of red.

Nice paint job but I'm not a fan of the single color. To me it just looks odd from a distance.

For me too. Even though I like red I think that if they wanted to go for a single colour (which is already a weird idea) there would be better options (like black).

Maybe it's just because I'm a Kentucky fan, but I do not like the all red. It hurts my eyes. or maybe it's the fact that it's an SLC that hurts. I would much rather have red track and black supports. Oh well