TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

It has been confirmed by Ed Hart many times that T2 will get new trains. They pretty much have to because right now all T2 has is one seven car train. It will probably also get a new coat of paint because the current one is very faded, I just hope it does not go back to that horrific bright red color.

I am going to be in the area on July 24th for Banshee Bash and I'll have a few hours and I've never been here or Holiday World. I'm having a hard time debating which park I should go to. I wouldn't be able to go to the waterpark at either.

If I go to Kentucky Kingdom:

I'll arrive at 3:30, but they close at 7:00

Tickets are $35 if I find a Kroger.

I can ride Lighning Run which looks awesome.

Thunder Run too, which looks decent.

Fearfall, which I know would be awesome.

If I go to Holiday World:

I'll arrive at 4:30, and they close at 8:30.

Tickets are $40 if I buy them online.

I can ride Voyage which looks awesome.

Raven and Legend look cool too.

But most importantly, the 2015 announcement is that night.

Unfortunately, its about 2 1/2 hours out of the way.

What do you think would be the better park to go to? How are lines usually at Kentucky Kingdom? Would 3 1/2 hours be enough time to ride the 3 mentioned above?

For you and any others wanting to find a Kroger close to the park, there is one on Central Ave towards Churchill Downs, just over Denny Crum Overpass and past Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

I wonder how many people from KK Management watched Holiday worlds presentation on the new coaster

I'm sure they all did. And they all went, "Oh sh!t."

Lol T3 isnt going to stand a chance as competition! Im sure Ed has something coming soon.

If they go all out with the Twister Twins RMC refurb, I'd return to the park. I don't feel the need to go back next year for T3, I'll be at Holiday World, riding a much superior coaster.

Agreed!!!

That's exactly what KK's problem probably is now: out-of-the-area visitors that have a choice to visit either park would rather spend it at Holiday World. Both parks are now probably going to be butting heads a lot more. In the end, though, it's the visitors who win because both parks will start to see bigger projects emerge from each, thus drawing more visitors into the area to try them out. I'm interested to see where both will be headed for the next 3 to 5 years at the least...

I think it will help both parks and it won't really be so much competition. Just look at how many people will come into the area for a couple of days just to go to both parks. I think it'll definitely help draw people to both parks.

In the end, though, it's the visitors who win because both parks will start to see bigger projects emerge from each, thus drawing more visitors into the area to try them out. I'm interested to see where both will be headed for the next 3 to 5 years at the least...

OHHH THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN! I haven't been to either park yet but I gotta plan a trip to the area now. I wonder what KK will do to counter Thunderbird in the next couple years. These parks battling it out in the future will be awesome for us.

^ Well, I think the only thing they can do to counter a launched B&M is a launched RMC on Twisted Twins. Ed Hart always went big in the past with Chang etc. and I don't expect this time to be any different, especially with the increased competiton.

As of now, I'm pretty sure Kentucky Kingdom isn't too worried about competing with Holiday World as far as new rides are concerned. Once the park is fully functional, and more established, then I think we will see them attempt to top Holiday World's rides. I'm still a believer in the park adding rides that are unique and creative, like a Mack looper (scaled down Blue-Fire) or a B&M sit-down looper (like Kraken and definitely not Time Machine). They need to build a unique ride portfolio that distinguishes themselves from Kings Island and Holiday World.

As far as an RMC re-working of the Twins, I think it would be a major departure for RMC. The ride isn't extremely tall, it doesn't have a lot of drawn out elements that could be turned into overbanked turns or inversions, and the layout isn't conducive to a lot of big airtime. Don't get me wrong, it would be really neat to see what they could do, especially if the connect both sides as well as Thunder Run as was planned previously, but I'm not hitching my cart to that wagon just yet.

Regardless, I don't think Kentucky Kingdom is too concerned, presently, with what Holiday World is doing next year.

As of now, I'm pretty sure Kentucky Kingdom isn't too worried about competing with Holiday World as far as new rides are concerned. Once the park is fully functional, and more established, then I think we will see them attempt to top Holiday World's rides. I'm still a believer in the park adding rides that are unique and creative, like a Mack looper (scaled down Blue-Fire) or a B&M sit-down looper (like Kraken and definitely not Time Machine). They need to build a unique ride portfolio that distinguishes themselves from Kings Island and Holiday World.

As far as an RMC re-working of the Twins, I think it would be a major departure for RMC. The ride isn't extremely tall, it doesn't have a lot of drawn out elements that could be turned into overbanked turns or inversions, and the layout isn't conducive to a lot of big airtime. Don't get me wrong, it would be really neat to see what they could do, especially if the connect both sides as well as Thunder Run as was planned previously, but I'm not hitching my cart to that wagon just yet.

Regardless, I don't think Kentucky Kingdom is too concerned, presently, with what Holiday World is doing next year.

it's going to amazing to see how RMC is going to pull this off .

plus this was on HW Thread pretty funny

KK's faces last night at the annoucement:

@ The fact that it's a launched B&M coaster

@ the fact that it's a wing coaster

@ the fact that HW finally has a Large Steel Coaster

@ the fact that it has 4 inversions

@ the fact that HW dropped $22 Mil on a single ride!

I wonder how many people from KK Management watched Holiday worlds presentation on the new coaster

I really don't get why people think that KK and HW are in some battle to the death and they can't both survive just fine together. And honestly, I think the new KK coaster looks like more fun the the new HW one. But, I will still gladly visit both parks.

A rising tide floats all boats - An increase in attendance at one park, normally means an increase at all parks in the area.

I don't think either are trying to run the other out of business, it's all just competitive fun. In terms of dominating each other in presence though, that's a bit one-sided. For instance:

1382957749_IMG_1241(Edited)(2000x)(Midgetman82).thumb.jpg.6ad46f00d4c1f03179be95bab0ff1c1d.jpg

One of 2 billboards I know of literally right next to the park. There's also one for Banshee not too far from the park, and even that is next to another HW billboard.

I'm sure they watched it an cheered that they would still have the most intense coaster in the area and for a lot less money. If only they could keep it operational all the time.

I'm sure they watched it an cheered that they would still have the most intense coaster in the area and for a lot less money. If only they could keep it operational all the time.

I do agree that Lightning Run (which I have ridden) will be better than Thunderbird. But to the GP, Thunderbird looks far superior and if they have to make a choice between the two parks, Thunderbird is going to draw them to Holiday World.

I do agree that Lightning Run (which I have ridden) will be better than Thunderbird. But to the GP, Thunderbird looks far superior and if they have to make a choice between the two parks, Thunderbird is going to draw them to Holiday World.

Remember a lot of park attendees, and those that spend the most money (family with young kids) don't have a choice and are going to the closest park. I'm sure the thrill seekers in Louisville have been going to Kings Island and Holiday World for years anyway.

Louisville is practically the same distance from Cincinnati as Holiday World. KK does not need to compete with HW in the same same that it doesn't need to compete with Kings Island. There are enough people in Louisville to support the park. If KK does something sufficient with the Twisted Twins plot in the future they should for fine.

Sure as an enthusiast, I was bored as hell at the park last week, but I really enjoyed Lightning Run and Thunder Run was running good.

I'm looking forward to Thunderbird, but Lightning Run is still way better than any wing coaster could ever hope to be

Sure as an enthusiast, I was bored as hell at the park last week, but I really enjoyed Lightning Run and Thunder Run was running good.

I felt the same way about the dry park. The waterpark makes it worth the price of admission, though.

Ok guys...I have a question. I will be going to kentucky kingdom on monday! My problem is im gonna be alone and really want to do the water park, since im sorta a water park fanatic. Is it hard finding people to team up with on slides like deluge and the family raft/tornado slides? Also, from what I have read here, its better to do the water park at opening correct?