TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Back at Kentucky Kingdom. The concrete pad next to Lightning Run's queue now has switchbacks! I'll have photos of it later today. Also, I finally have a recommended path for those visiting the park. Essentially, you arrive when the park opens at 11am and hit the water park right away (Deep Water Dive better be your first slide!), then return to the dry side at around 2pm or 3pm for relatively shorter lines (Edit: Since most people will be in the water park). They close the water park 1 hour before the park closes every day, so expect lines to get extra long by then.

-----

Edit:IMG_2833(edited)(1000x).thumb.jpg.850b5215ce49965f25241c6ef298dd86.jpgIMG_2835(edited)(1000x).thumb.jpg.b093115b78a5745ea25128deb1b28de7.jpgIMG_2838(edited)(1000x).thumb.jpg.f64a9f8a9e539217e375bf8cbb281868.jpg

Big thumbs up from me, sure does keep the line from spilling out.

IMG_2840(edited)(1000x).thumb.jpg.563e205dec17f64f3a5a449af725e044.jpg

Along with those, these signs were implemented around various queues, including Thunder Run's. Park security has been doing a pretty good job on having presence all around the park, and I've seen a noticeable decrease in line jumping the more I visit the park.

Edited by Midgetman82

Kudos to Kentucky Kingdom and the report that attendance is through the roof!!!

Three cheers!!!

I wouldn't mind visiting the park again, but it probably won't happen in a few years in which, hopefully at that time, they would have all their rides running and I'll be slim enough to ride Lighting Run. As for the possible Top Spin flat ride placement I can see two possible locations: one would be between Mile High Fall and Roller Skater, and the second one would be in the back of the park somewhere between the amphitheater and River Rapids Ride. But one more flat ride they could use to put into the once-closed-and-soon-to-be-reopened section should be the Scrambler.

ROLLER SKATER - TAKE A RIDE AROUND OUR RINK!!!

I disagree with the park's decision to kick the guy out for wearing a Speedo, but I must say I also disagree with that guy's decision to wear a Speedo...I don't think they're really "in" right now.

If the guy pictured in the article is the guy they are talking about - I'd say that it was pretty damned "in."

Whew - it's getting hot up in here

Just wanted to make a quick post. I was able to visit Kentucky Kingdom for the first time on Sunday. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit my fat ass on Lightning Run but I still had a great time in the park (and I was very appreciative for the test seats). The park looks nice, you can tell a lot of work was put into it and I think it will continue to do well. I was surprised with how good Thunder Run was. It was definitely a lot better than I was expecting with nice speed, a smooth ride after the re-tracking, and great airtime! Awesome and not brutal forces in the big sweeping turn after the first drop and some nice twisty bits. The weather that day was, over all, brutal though. It was 94+ degrees and my friends and I didn't feel like going on any water slides. After 4 hours we were quite done. The waterpark was absolutely packed which made the wait times for most rides very short as the sane people were avoiding the heat. I look forward to the rehabbing of T2 and the twins. They will really get things going once they can open up the whole park (and hopefully they'll lengthen the operating hours).

By the way, if you're staying at the Crowne Plaza hotel, you can take their shuttle to the park and they'll pick you up when you're ready to leave in about 15 minutes after you call.

All KK is doing is trying to keep the water park family friendly by having a dress code just like HW. If the guy had gone to HW they would have done the same thing. Its just another case of someone trying to create bad publicity for a good thing like the other cases over the past couple of weeks.

I can understand how any park might want to enforce certain dress codes, but throwing in slurs and calling them names (although not proven, and I too am fishy about this as well) is far from necessary; whether you're an officer or not.

Any advice for visiting Kentucky Kingdom? I'll be visiting next Friday (7/25/14.)

I'm pretty certain dine-in restaurants (like the swamp restaurant) are cheaper than many of outdoor ones like the stands in the water park. Do you plan on hitting the water park?

^ I completely agree with you about slurs & such, I think the report of what happened was slightly over exaggerated as none of the local news stations never even mentioned anything about this especially if it did indeed involve LMPD.

Any advice for visiting Kentucky Kingdom? I'll be visiting next Friday (7/25/14.)

I'm pretty certain dine-in restaurants (like the swamp restaurant) are cheaper than many of outdoor ones like the stands in the water park. Do you plan on hitting the water park?

If I ride everything, then I plan on hitting the waterpark. I've read nice things about the water park, so I'm 90% likely to hit it unless I really, really like the rides.

From Holiday World's Facebook

You should also add to your list of family benefits,that nursing moms will never be harrassed for publicly or privately feeding their babies in your park,because your nursing policy is nicely in line with Indiana state law...unlike some parks who have managed to find themselves making unfortunate headlines.

3 · July 11 at 10:24am

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari: Thanks, Aven. We're all about "free, unlimited" drinks here ... and that includes the little ones

This park sure is getting a lot of bad publicity.

^I'm assuming this is them replying to a comment made on their Facebook page, because I don't see it as a main post on their feed.

If I ride everything, then I plan on hitting the waterpark. I've read nice things about the water park, so I'm 90% likely to hit it unless I really, really like the rides.

Might be an all-day thing. Do the water park first thing in the morning (if you arrive then), because lines will especially pile up by mid-day.

I am going to be in the area on July 24th for Banshee Bash and I'll have a few hours and I've never been here or Holiday World. I'm having a hard time debating which park I should go to. I wouldn't be able to go to the waterpark at either.

If I go to Kentucky Kingdom:

I'll arrive at 3:30, but they close at 7:00

Tickets are $35 if I find a Kroger.

I can ride Lighning Run which looks awesome.

Thunder Run too, which looks decent.

Fearfall, which I know would be awesome.

If I go to Holiday World:

I'll arrive at 4:30, and they close at 8:30.

Tickets are $40 if I buy them online.

I can ride Voyage which looks awesome.

Raven and Legend look cool too.

But most importantly, the 2015 announcement is that night.

Unfortunately, its about 2 1/2 hours out of the way.

What do you think would be the better park to go to? How are lines usually at Kentucky Kingdom? Would 3 1/2 hours be enough time to ride the 3 mentioned above?

You'd definitely have plenty of time to hop on those three in 3 1/2 hours (Maybe fit two rides in on Lightning Run), but I personally think Holiday World offers just a bit more for what you pay. Someone over at the Holiday World thread mentioned that they shed a little off the admission price after a certain hour (Central Daylight Time), so that's another bonus. Here, you'd have to add the separate $8 parking fee as well.

From Holiday World's Facebook

You should also add to your list of family benefits,that nursing moms will never be harrassed for publicly or privately feeding their babies in your park,because your nursing policy is nicely in line with Indiana state law...unlike some parks who have managed to find themselves making unfortunate headlines.

3 · July 11 at 10:24am

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari: Thanks, Aven. We're all about "free, unlimited" drinks here ... and that includes the little ones

This park sure is getting a lot of bad publicity.

It was just a bunch of to do over one employee's misunderstanding of the policy. Ed Hart personally posted on KK's FB page and clarified exactly what the policy is. The supposed mass breast feeding sit-in was cancelled after Ed Hart clarified the policy and said no one would ever be harassed and he just asked for mom's to use their discretion.

All KK is doing is trying to keep the water park family friendly by having a dress code just like HW. If the guy had gone to HW they would have done the same thing.

I really don't see how HW would be able to since they have a dive show where the divers wear speedos. Now maybe if his was really revealing they could. The picture I seen from the articles was just a rear view so you can't tell.