TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Question.....

I was told by someone that the park offers a "starlight ticket" for later entrance into the park. However, I can't seem to find anything about it. Does anyone know if they offer this?

I am going to be passing by the park next week, but it will not be untill 430-5, and do not want to buy a full day ticket for just a couple of hours.

Thank you for any input.

^I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure don't understand it if this is a ticket option, considering the park has a ridiculous policy where they stop allowing guests into the park at 6pm and all of the ride lines close at 6:15pm (45 minutes prior to closing time).

^I don't know the answer to your question, but I sure don't understand it if this is a ticket option, considering the park has a ridiculous policy where they stop allowing guests into the park at 6pm and all of the ride lines close at 6:15pm (45 minutes prior to closing time).

I also don't understand fully why they do this, but I can think of one reason. The park has very short hours being 11-7 all summer or 11-9 on weekends. Usually at around 6, the park is still busy (instead of normally people leaving in the last hour) and the biggest rides in the park have bad capacity problems. Lightning Run's line moves at snail pace even with two trains, Thunder Run is one train ops so it's line is usually long, Fearfall has the fastest of the three, but it's still slow. Each of these lines are at least 45 minutes or longer at 6. I guess KK wants the park cleared by 7? I don't know, it's just a bad policy.

A guy operating Thunder Run stated that the park would be extending park hours to close at 11pm on weekends next year, and I can't remember what he said about weekdays but I think those will be moved to a 9pm closing.

^^ how about a *dueling* motorbike launched coaster??

I hope not. What the park needs is a smooth, inverting steel coaster. Time Machine at Freestyle would be a great ride for the park.

I agree!

Throttle Of Full was smooth. Plus it makes since to have a launch considering how the park has a 180?ft height limit.

I just got back from Kentucky Kingdom. Here's my experience with some of the major rides:

Lightning Run - 3 rides, 1 front & 2 back (1-train operation. My first ride was a walk-on, and it had about a 45 minute wait the rest of the day)

The back seat is definitely the best, for the airtime down the first drop and first camelback. After that, the rest of the ride felt about the same to me, regardless of which seat I was in. About halfway through the ride, the airtime started to feel stronger, and that intensity kept up until the end of the ride. The final bunny hops were brutal, but not in a painful way. The only thing I didn't like was the funky lumbar support ridge on the back of the seat. The shin restraints were fine for me. Even though the ride is intense, it's very re-rideable. I'd rank it in my top 3 for sure, probably above Maverick.

Thunder Run - 2 rides, 1 front & 1 back (1-train operation. <10 minute wait both times I rode it)

The first drop isn't very exciting in any seat, but the first few camelback hills have some nice sustained airtime, especially in the front of the train. The banked turns are surprisingly forceful, too. The ride felt a little rough near the end, but it's MUCH better than it used to be.

Deep Water Dive - 1 ride (longest wait of the day, probably around an hour)

I had never been on a speed slide before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was hoping to be able to look out at the rest of the waterpark as I was going down the slide, but instead I had to keep my eyes shut as I was engulfed with a giant wall of water from the very beginning of the drop. I don't remember it even feeling like a drop. It just felt like I was going really fast while someone was giving me a wedgie and spraying a fire hose up my nose for a few uncomfortable seconds. At least it cleared out my sinuses

FearFall - 1 ride (walk on)

I always enjoy a good ARM tower. I had just ridden the slightly taller Oh-Zone at a Lake Winnie a couple days prior. While Oh-Zone has the superior drop, IMO, this one still packed a punch. The seats feel very open, like there's not much holding you in on the sides, which definitely adds to the experience. The view on the parking lot side of the tower wasn't that great, though. Also, the queue entrance was in a really weird and confusing location.

Other general park stuff:

I didn't pick up a park map, because I thought I was familiar enough with the general layout of the place already. However, even after walking through most of the park, I still thought the layout was confusing... like REALLY confusing. I found myself constantly hitting dead ends when I thought I was headed the right way (even for areas I'd already visited), and often it was hard to tell which way to go to reach a certain ride.

The type of pavement in the water park varies as you walk between areas. In some places it felt fine, and in others it felt uncomfortably hot to my bare feet. Every time I hit a hot patch of pavement, I'd suddenly start power-walking to get past it and onto the comfortable pavement again. This isn't the type of thing I'd typically pick out of my experience at a water park, but it was hard not to notice.

11:00am-7:00pm is not a lot of time, and the water park was open for even less time than that. It really only felt like a half-day at the park. I'm looking forward to extended park hours in the future.

It was interesting seeing the still-overgrown back half of the park from the top of the water slide towers. I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of the place over the next couple of years. The part that's done right now looks nice, especially the water park area. It makes you forget that you're in the middle of a city.

In my opinion, whenever the time comes for KK to build a new thrill ride, they need to stick with unique rides like Lightning Run. Not necessarily new coaster styles/companies like Lightning Run, but layouts that aren't "cookie cutter" layouts. It is very difficult for the park to compete with Kings Island for the thrill seeker crowd, just based on quantity of major thrill attractions. The one reason I bought a season pass to KK this year is because the uniqueness of most of their rides. I think adding any of the old Hard Rock Park rides would be a big mistake regardless of price. I know that may not make financial sense right now, but the park has to carve its own niche to stay viable in this area, and I think they can do that with rides that aren't just inversion after inversion like Zep Coaster/Time Machine.

Question has anyone of you got the chance to ride Time machine from freestyle music park? If so how was it? And would it be a good fit for KK?!?!?!

I rode it, and it was really boring. Just a standard grouping of un-forceful elements. It's not worth saving and I would be really sad to see it end up at KK.

Kentucky Kingdom already has Coasters planned for the next 2 years, I doubt they would buy it and put it in storage for 3 years. They will be adding new rides with the coasters over the next 2 years, but those are the only Coasters planned til 2017 at least.

Kentucky Kingdom already has Coasters planned for the next 2 years, I doubt they would buy it and put it in storage for 3 years. They will be adding new rides with the coasters over the next 2 years, but those are the only Coasters planned til 2017 at least.

This is always confusing to me. Are T2 and Twisted Twins the two new coasters for the next two years? I don't really consider them new seeing that they're both over 15 years old.

This is always confusing to me. Are T2 and Twisted Twins the two new coasters for the next two years? I don't really consider them new seeing that they're both over 15 years old.

They will be opening them to a crowd that wants to ride them again. To market them as new while it is just TLC to make them open is very smart and beneficial for them. However, I do see them opening brand new flats with these openings. Just because they aren't actually new, for them to open again is enough to bring people through the gates again.

Question has anyone of you got the chance to ride Time machine from freestyle music park? If so how was it? And would it be a good fit for KK?!?!?!

I rode it several times. nice first drop, some rattle (first and second year) the mid-course BRAKE (geesh I see this word spelled wrong soo much lately) run kinda killed the second half, but im sure the ride would work for this park well. The music was a plus.

I seem to remember more than one actual new coaster being in their original proposal, which is why I usually get confused. But I think the new tube slide complex went where one of the coasters was originally planned to go.