TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Yeah, I'm mean two fences and the B&M roar wasn't enough to stop that ole' dude from getting his block knocked off.......I will say so far I haven't seen anyone even contemplate hopping the fence into the LR area; I also have not seen anyone in one of the trains with a hat on either. When I worked at RRE we never had problems with someone trying to enter the restricted area until they'd lose a hat and want to get it right then and there.....yay for E-Stops!

Seriously, I am so tired of hearing/reading all of these extra measures theme parks go to,

to insure that some idiot won't climb over a fence, etc etc etc.....

I say, if they get hit or killed, it's their fault, not the park's. Simple.

I visited briefly on Memorial Day. The crowds weren't that bad, at least in the front of the park. Waited less than an hour for Lightning Run and that was with it breaking down for about 10-15 minutes. Don't expect to get a season pass processed quickly though.
Going by opening weekend it will be busy but planning should make it tolerable. I would absolutely run to Thunder Run and ride it first; then double back and hit Fear Fall. The wait last Sunday for Thunder Run was an hour around 5-7pm, even with very very quick dispatch times. Lightning Run's wait was only around 30 min when the line was stretching out past to BBQ resturant. It was not too bad at all; I can't vouch for the other rides wait times. If you are trying to do Deep Water Dive prepare to wait, it'll probably busy.

Thanks guys! Is Deluge still closed? The park's website states that all of the water attractions are open, but reports from last weekend said it was closed with a lot of work to do...

Seriously, I am so tired of hearing/reading all of these extra measures theme parks go to,

True but the park will still be blamed and receive a plethora of bad press.

I'm studying mechanical engineering and my parents are both industrial engineers, so I know a considerable amount about why this happens.

The reason it does that is because allowing it to be flexible helps it absorb the forces a bit more. Ever notice how tall trees sway in the wind without falling over or how palm trees bend in hurricanes? This is sort of nature's way of demonstrating this. Skyscrapers sway in the wind similarly. Even wooden coasters can visibly be seen deflecting sometimes. It's about absorbing the force instead of withstanding it.

If I'm correct, this is what killed Kings Island's original Bat. It was built too rigidly and the structure couldn't move with the train and it caused structural problems. I might be wrong but that's what I thought caused it. Some B&M track connectors are visibly made to be able to accommodate deflecting track, Mantis's are a good example.

I just finished my junior year in Mechanical Engineering, (take a wild guess as to why) so the nerd in me is unable to resist piggybacking on what you said and must educate the uninformed.

Every solid material acts like a spring; when a force is applied to the object, it will deflect to some degree. Objects don't technically rupture from forces, but rather pressures or stresses (a force divided by the area over which it acts.) Under a certain range of forces, called the elastic range, the object will just bounce back from its original shape. Beyond this range is called the plastic range, where once an object is stressed enough, it will permanently deform, either only partially returning to its original shape or not returning to its original shape by any amount. Then, after a certain point, it physically ruptures. Note that not all materials undergo significant deformation before rupturing; Those that do are considered ductile (copper) and those that don't are considered brittle (concrete.)

Also, there is the concept of fatigue, where after a force is repeated a certain number of times, the part will actually rupture at forces well below the elastic limit (the highest stress in the elastic range.) Some materials, (mostly steels) have what is known as an "endurance limit," where if a repeated stress is applied at or below this value, the stress can be applied an infinite number of times. The exact causes of fatigue are not known (which surprised me when I learned about this last semester) but what I've been able to gather is that one of the main causes is that defects in the material's microscopic structure concentrate the stresses and produce cracks, which propagate until the part breaks.

Since I'm not employed by Chance-Morgan, I can't say exactly whether or not they designed the supports and track to withstand stresses below their endurance limits or not, but my guess is that they actually didn't, and probably designed them to last several million cycles instead, as that those stress limits are quite a bit higher, meaning they can use a lot less material.

Never worked in Loss Prevention I take it? lol

Just had to share this great GP comment from a girl that just came into my store to buy a KI ticket.

She didn't want to spend the $34 on a KI ticket and I was like well we have a great deal on KK season passes and you pay for it in two visits. Her response was how do they expect me to go there when they have no coasters that go upside down. So I tried to tell her that well the new coaster they have is amazing and then there is the waterpark. She told me if she wanted to ride a coaster that went up and down she would just ride in a car.

UGH!!

Also, there is the concept of fatigue, where after a force is repeated a certain number of times, the part will actually rupture at forces well below the elastic limit (the highest stress in the elastic range.) Some materials, (mostly steels) have what is known as an "endurance limit," where if a repeated stress is applied at or below this value, the stress can be applied an infinite number of times. The exact causes of fatigue are not known (which surprised me when I learned about this last semester) but what I've been able to gather is that one of the main causes is that defects in the material's microscopic structure concentrate the stresses and produce cracks, which propagate until the part breaks.

I am studying Materials Science and Engineering and the main cause of fatigue is cyclic loading, the material is exposed to either periods of tension and then compression or tension and then returns to normal. So once a microscopic crack appears in the material, the cycles of differing forces cause the crack to grow with each cycle until it gets to a critical size causing the failure.

I'm studying mechanical engineering and my parents are both industrial engineers, so I know a considerable amount about why this happens.

The reason it does that is because allowing it to be flexible helps it absorb the forces a bit more. Ever notice how tall trees sway in the wind without falling over or how palm trees bend in hurricanes? This is sort of nature's way of demonstrating this. Skyscrapers sway in the wind similarly. Even wooden coasters can visibly be seen deflecting sometimes. It's about absorbing the force instead of withstanding it.

If I'm correct, this is what killed Kings Island's original Bat. It was built too rigidly and the structure couldn't move with the train and it caused structural problems. I might be wrong but that's what I thought caused it. Some B&M track connectors are visibly made to be able to accommodate deflecting track, Mantis's are a good example.

I just finished my junior year in Mechanical Engineering, (take a wild guess as to why) so the nerd in me is unable to resist piggybacking on what you said and must educate the uninformed.

Every solid material acts like a spring; when a force is applied to the object, it will deflect to some degree. Objects don't technically rupture from forces, but rather pressures or stresses (a force divided by the area over which it acts.) Under a certain range of forces, called the elastic range, the object will just bounce back from its original shape. Beyond this range is called the plastic range, where once an object is stressed enough, it will permanently deform, either only partially returning to its original shape or not returning to its original shape by any amount. Then, after a certain point, it physically ruptures. Note that not all materials undergo significant deformation before rupturing; Those that do are considered ductile (copper) and those that don't are considered brittle (concrete.)

Since I'm not employed by Chance-Morgan, I can't say exactly whether or not they designed the supports and track to withstand stresses below their endurance limits or not, but my guess is that they actually didn't, and probably designed them to last several million cycles instead, as that those stress limits are quite a bit higher, meaning they can use a lot less material.

I will be studying Mechanical engineering. It's great to learn about all these knowledge, thanks!

If the support swings a lot, would it cause too much pressure to the bolts that connects the support and the footer? Does track and support swinging has anything to do with the loose bolt issues on Smiler and Volcano?

^You are correct, it will affect the bolts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual swaying of the track would cause the support to move and deflect, and all this would more likely strip the threads of the nuts and bolts, and instead the vibrations that the track encounters would actually loosen them; this can be mitigated by using certain kinds of nuts (jam nuts, etc.) or using two or more nuts right next to each other (this is how coaster supports tend to be constructed) and cars and aviation vehicles often use bolts with very fine threading to minimize this as well, because they encounter lots of vibrations. The possibility also exists that the construction crews didn't tighten the bolts enough, and that the mechanics didn't inspect the track of those rides properly.

I will be studying Mechanical engineering. It's great to learn about all these knowledge, thanks!

Me too. It's funny how I always wanted to become a mechanical engineer long before I knew it was useful for amusement ride designing.

Now I want it even more

The hour wait sign that used to be in Lightning Run's queue seems to be gone. I didn't see it, unless I wasn't looking hard enough.

Our wait was about 20 people out the entrance both times we rode and we were on the ride within 30-40 minutes. There's a concrete pad to the left when you pass the entrance sign, I wonder if that'll be used for a switchback eventually.

Does anyone know why the park still has not gotten an entrance sign. It would not seem so strange if they did not still have the old six flags entrance sign still there empty. They really need to get a sign or take down the frame.

Stinks to hear Enterprise isn't getting to operate anytime soon. They must be having problems getting it up and running due to how old it is. Also, I'm really glad to see T2 (Terror to the Second Power) will be getting an upgrade on its name: T3 (Cubed Terror! )

Is there a chance Twisted Twins will operate again?

It is confirmed to be reopening in 2016. Newspaper article I read states that it will be getting a $10 million refurbishment and that both sides will possibly be combined into a single ride.

Is there a chance Twisted Twins will operate again?

It is confirmed to be reopening in 2016. Newspaper article I read states that it will be getting a $10 million refurbishment and that both sides will possibly be combined into a single ride.

Definitely sounds like RMC to me, $10 mil seems to be their magic number

Edited by Superbatboy

Stopped by the park today after Holiwood Nights. The line for Lightning Run spilled into the midway, and the operations were abysmal at best for that ride. Even still it only took about 45 minutes total to get on. We rode in the last row. WOW! This ride has suck it's way into my top ten steel coasters. I cannot believe how incredibly smooth it rode while delivering constant ejector air time. Now I know there's been a lot of chatter on the restraints. While they were fairly restrictive, I didn't find them to be too awful. It's just when you have that kind of ejector airtime, it does kind of abuse your thighs.

The only other ride we rode today was Thunder Run. It was pretty decent, not too rough and has some pretty good air time. I have been on it before, in 2006, and today's ride was definitely better, but it still isn've a very memorable ride. I do get really annoyed with single train operations, and Thunder does not have a second train.

The park overall looked pretty good, but they still have a lot of work ahead of them. I'm just very happy to see the place open and full of people. I mean it was seriously packed. Good for them! That should help the checkbook!

Stopped by the park today after Holiwood Nights. The line for Lightning Run spilled into the midway, and the operations were abysmal at best for that ride. Even still it only took about 45 minutes total to get on. We rode in the last row. WOW! This ride has suck it's way into my top ten steel coasters. I cannot believe how incredibly smooth it rode while delivering constant ejector air time. Now I know there's been a lot of chatter on the restraints. While they were fairly restrictive, I didn't find them to be too awful. It's just when you have that kind of ejector airtime, it does kind of abuse your thighs.

The only other ride we rode today was Thunder Run. It was pretty decent, not too rough and has some pretty good air time. I have been on it before, in 2006, and today's ride was definitely better, but it still isn've a very memorable ride. I do get really annoyed with single train operations, and Thunder does not have a second train.

The park overall looked pretty good, but they still have a lot of work ahead of them. I'm just very happy to see the place open and full of people. I mean it was seriously packed. Good for them! That should help the checkbook!

We went for the first time as well and I had the same concerns about the dispatches but that should get better as ride ops get more experience. We spent most of the day with the kiddos in the water park and to me it seemed like they would wait for the previous rider or riders to clear the splash down pool before sending the next rider. I was scratching my head about the drop tower, it seems odd that they put the que on the backside and you have to go down a dead end path that doesn't look like anything would be back there since the entrance is farther down from the drop tower almost to Lightning Run. All in all I had fun and was impressed with the crowd and how well the park looks. I'm really excited and hopeful for the future of KK. I was very impressed with RMC's work on Thunder Run, I was able to keeep my hands up all around the circuit which was unheard of with the state that TR was in when Six Flags closed the park. I didn't get any rides on Lightning unfortunately since the kids were with us and I didn't want to stick the kids with my wife for 45 mins, sigh, there's always next time I guess... good thing we have season passes.. lol