TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

^ And yes, Kentucky kingdom was a money maker before Six Flags bought it. Ed Hart has a YouTube Chanel on which he replys to viewers questions and tells how KK was a major money maker before Six bought it out.

That is my issue though. It's Ed Hart saying it. You would think if it was such a money maker pre-Six Flags that several people would have wanted to get the park when it closed, but it seems the only interested parties were Ed and the Koch family, and they backed out. It would not surprise me if the park was profitable in the sense that their revenue was greater than their rent, labor costs, food costs, maintenance costs, etc. I just have a hard time believing they were very profitable when you include their capital expenses for Vampire, Thunder Run, Hurricane Bay, T2, Change, etc.

I'm not trying to call Ed a liar or manipulator of facts, but I have know business operators that when they publicly spoke about their business they skewed facts to make things look better when in reality they were breaking even, if that. So unless same actual black and white revenue figures get released, I just find it hard to believe.

^ And yes, Kentucky kingdom was a money maker before Six Flags bought it. Ed Hart has a YouTube Chanel on which he replys to viewers questions and tells how KK was a major money maker before Six bought it out.

That is my issue though. It's Ed Hart saying it. You would think if it was such a money maker pre-Six Flags that several people would have wanted to get the park when it closed, but it seems the only interested parties were Ed and the Koch family, and they backed out. It would not surprise me if the park was profitable in the sense that their revenue was greater than their rent, labor costs, food costs, maintenance costs, etc. I just have a hard time believing they were very profitable when you include their capital expenses for Vampire, Thunder Run, Hurricane Bay, T2, Change, etc.

I'm not trying to call Ed a liar or manipulator of facts, but I have know business operators that when they publicly spoke about their business they skewed facts to make things look better when in reality they were breaking even, if that. So unless same actual black and white revenue figures get released, I just find it hard to believe.

How many people are there in the US that could effectively manage a theme park? Even if I had the capital and knew for a fact there was money to be made in reopening KK, I wouldn't even consider investing in it because I have no idea how to run an amusement park. I would imagine that this, along with the strange property ownership had a lot to do with the lack of prospective investors.

From the perspective of someone who just lives here, it seems like KK failed from a bunch of bad things happening all at once: an economic turndown, a bad accident, a confusing profits sharing scheme, and the ownership by a struggling company. I think there is definitely a market here for a reasonalbly sized amusement and waterpark (100k season passes sold already for a park that didn't break 500k in it's entire last year seems to show that!), and I think they have the right people to bring it back. Hopefully now that the YUM center is finished and that there is hardly anything going on fairgrounds, they will be a lot more cooperative with the park.

These are just my thoughts; the park's plans seem to be ambitious, and I think they have the money pretty secured to refurbish T2 and do a pretty extensive makeover of twisted twins, regardless of how the first seasons turn out. After that we can only hope for the best! I know everyone here would love to see RMC turn Twisted Twins into the Steel Sisters or something (but with a more clever name haha).

No one was really committed to investing as much money as it took Ed Hart to fix all the damage and neglect from the water slides not being properly winterized to ride cars not being properly stowed for the winter. Ed has earned major respect from me because he's not doing it for money, he's doing it because he loves KK and he knows how vital the park is to the Louisville economy. I give him major kudos and proud to say I live in the same city as he does!

That is my issue though. It's Ed Hart saying it. You would think if it was such a money maker pre-Six Flags that several people would have wanted to get the park when it closed, but it seems the only interested parties were Ed and the Koch family, and they backed out.

A lot of investors were put off by the demand/restrictions of the Kentucky Fairgrounds Board.

Edited by larrygator

Here is more photos of Lightning Run that were sent to Screamscape.

Screamscape - Kentucky Kingdom News & Rumors

Park News - (4/24/14) If you can’t wait to try out a ride on Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom when it opens, this will really get you excited. Check out the view from the top of the lift hill in four new pictures sent in to Screamscape this week.

db_2014_0423_LightningRun1.jpg.97ff3a71641efbf1b3f4f801a07ab72d.jpgdb_2014_0423_LightningRun__2_1.jpg.58ef0e5a250b685447286fadc4afa174.jpgdb_2014_0423_LightningRun__3_1.jpg.304e9bcd1e5f06db927f85d878f04f25.jpgdb_2014_0423_LightningRun__4_1.jpg.70e17af1b1ab74f777ac502c0a215925.jpg

Part of the coaster sits on Sky Coaster's and Road Runner Express' old land, so I'm betting some concrete flooring is under a good portion of the spaghetti bowl. Other than that, there's lots of dirt.

I've never been as excited about Lightning Run as some other TPR members have, but I'm especially wary now. These pictures of the spaghetti bowl remind me of something I would have built in RCT3 career mode on an extremely low budget.