TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Yep, we're far beyond now that track style doesn't really matter. Now that designers are able to calculate g-forces in real time for coaster track long before any steel is welded. There wasn't that luxury even a few years ago for coaster designers. Yes, there are programs like NoLimits that does such a thing, but that's mainly simulated and not even close to the accuracy that you can get with some of the CAD programs.

Arrow during the 70's and up until the very early 90's, all used to build and assemble their coasters all on-site, the track itself was never made in a factory up until around the time Intamin with Giovanola realized that was the more accurate way to build and assemble a coaster. So all of the track was bent and shaped up on the support structure with assistance from surveyors on the ground directing them to where the track needed to go.

Coasters were also designed and calculated on paper until CAD during the late 80's became feasible, hence why a lot of the early Arrow transitions are bad, but yet some of their later coasters are actually decent, like Tennessee Tornado and Big One. Still wasn't quite accurate enough until the 2000's came around as there were a few issues that never showed until the rides were actually built, like a few transitions here and there. Also why we consider a lot of the B&M coasters during the 90's their "golden years," because the g-forces were a bit higher or lower in real life than what they may have calculated on a computer. Now that they're able to get the g-forces almost exact to how it's going to be in real life, a lot of us consider their newer coasters more "tame."

So because Chance is using a track design that dates to the 60's means that it's out of date and won't "age well?" Nope, like I said, we're way past the point where track design matters and if companies still decide to use an inside rail than an outside rail, go for it. You have the technology to make sure the coaster will last for a 100 years so there's no point on changing it because it's an older design.

Also why we consider a lot of the B&M coasters during the 90's their "golden years," because the g-forces were a bit higher or lower in real life than what they may have calculated on a computer. Now that they're able to get the g-forces almost exact to how it's going to be in real life, a lot of us consider their newer coasters more "tame."

That does make sense. Still, I'm not sure if it was exactly the case as all their coasters were reasonably intense, and so that would mean they wanted to build all of them less forceful but because of imprecisions the came out with nice forces. And, if so, they would have realised, after their first rides, what the relation between their calculations and reality was which would mean they would have been able to build them less intense.

That is a valid possibility, just not sure if it really was the case.

Well I for one am glad this is not a B&M like what Ed originally planned for. I will gladly take a 100 ft tall "prototype" over a 150ft mini-dive machine or wing coaster. I do wish Chang was still residing at it's original home though....I actually loved that ride, never had any of the issues people have with the other stand ups. Sucks the park lost one of the last intense B&Ms before the floaty revolution happened.

It might not be because of the whole g-force thing, just a theory of mine. It does make you think though. Could be various of factors, but B&M's coasters built the past couple years, something has changed in their design process so the g-force change has been made more subtle.

I mean, it wasn't like a whole 1G difference, but there are certain number of their coasters in the 90's that certainly had some g-force issues, like Mantis and a trim brake being added to the 1st drop before the loop because it was slightly uncomfortable due to the forces.

Also makes you wonder what Intamin has been using the past few years for designing and simulation. The two bigger flubs of recent times, Maverick's heartline roll and Intimidator 305's turn into the airtime hill, makes me wonder why they didn't see some of those issues ahead of time in the software. It seems they've got it right with Skyrush, but just gets me thinking.

^Skyrush raises a very important question for me, which is how didn't they realise those restraints would be so painful. I don't know much about the designing process but shouldn't that have been clear?

Back to lightning run, looking very cool. I really am looking forward to see what Chance can do with this type of ride?

^ SkyRush's lift hill is too steep that people slip back and leave a gap between their tights and the restraints. At least I couldn't think of any other ideas to solve the problems. At least there are already a lot of different ways to avoid pain. A coaster cannot be perfect, SkyRush's flaw violent enough to cause discomfort so the little problems turns into a huge issue. B&M nowadays stays at the low G range so their little problems could not show up too much. That's what I think.

I guess the experience of LR would somehow be like Outlaw Run for the train design.

^Skyrush raises a very important question for me, which is how didn't they realise those restraints would be so painful. I don't know much about the designing process but shouldn't that have been clear?

Back to lightning run, looking very cool. I really am looking forward to see what Chance can do with this type of ride?

Agreed. Very weird for intamin..

^^ It's not just discomfort, it is great pain (at least to me) and I don't think it is about the gap either as they tighten during the ride and still provide pain. I think it is about two things: their position (should be further back, closer to the waist as it has been said that if you slip forwards a bit the pain will go away) and their shape as the part of the restraint that actually holds you is pretty small. Naturally, if the ride had fewer Gs they wouldn't be as uncomfortable but if these two things were changed it could be comfortable and intense at the same time, which would, in my opinion, make it the best ride ever.

If we want to be really technical, Chance never left, but the Morgan name was dissolved into the umbrella of Chance Rides. This company is quietly one of the most solid names in the ride manufacturing sector. Their rides are extremely reliable, comfortable, and easy to operate. To say they just now coming back is huge understatement. True, this is their first larger coaster in a long time, but they have been chugging along just fine building and refurbishing many other types of rides and attractions in the meantime.

I'm surprised the got this for only $8 million, looks amazing

300th post

Was anymore track added today?

Well take an American Company (Less Shipping Costs?)

Take a Company that hasn't built a new coaster in a while (At least not partnered with)

Make it a Prototype (Again less cost)

Makes since to me.

I'm surprised the got this for only $8 million, looks amazing

300th post

Was anymore track added today?

Well take an American Company (Less Shipping Costs?)

Take a Company that hasn't built a new coaster in a while (At least not partnered with)

Make it a Prototype (Again less cost)

Makes since to me.

I never thought of it that way..

Of course if the coaster doesn't turn out so good, everyone will question going with a prototype.

For the record I approve of KK trying to do something different.

Something Different? This is what Kentucky Kingdom was always about back in the day. I am sure being different is going to be the title of this park in the future as well.

The worlds first 2nd generation drop Tower

The worlds first SLC

The worlds first dueling coaster

The worlds largest Spill Ride

The worlds longest and tallest stand up coaster

The worlds first ride of it's kind (quake)

Now we have in 2014...

The worlds first Chance Morgan Hyper

The U.S. Tallest Body Slide...

Different is Kentucky Kingdom's title. What is next??

^ T2 wasn't the world's first, that title goes to El Condor. It was America's first SLC however. One thing I've never understood about those two is El Condor's layout is more akin to the current SLC layout whereas T2's layout is very clearly protoype-ish. The fact that they also had to shorten the length of the train on T2 makes the story even more perplexing. Maybe T2 was designed first but El Condor was the first to open?