TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

ACE Midwest's Facebook page is on fire in terms of providing updates, and the park is building the ride crazy fast! Take a look!

10005990_10201906222314188_1273444155_o.jpg

Source

At this rate 3-4 weeks may be to long of an estimate. There less than 4 days in to construction and they have at least a seventh of it done! Also so far this coaster looks like it has the stuff to be a top 25 roller coaster.

I've experienced more airtime just looking at that picture than what's in Diamondback's second half....haha I kidd, I kidd.

Got bored, decided to do a crappy progress visualization using the rendering found in Chance's hyper lite pdf. If the weather holds out, the structure of this coaster should fly up in no time.

LR.jpg.7f2874940d01d59a498344b8cc3f4766.jpg

I just noticed this and thought it was interesting that the track connectors for the supports are level with the ground instead of perpendicular to the track.

That is pretty odd, but since it's just the support style they inherited from Morgan, it's understandable. Probably is easier to install that way too then since it just has to sit on top of the support to be attached, versus being hoisted and held into place by a crane, then maneuvered into place if the support connection is at an angle.

Interesting though looking at the track now that it's installed. The spine itself looks to be sections of straight pieces of pipe, cut and angled at every rail tie, instead of being bent out of a single piece for the spine. Quite ingenious, as it doesn't introduce the stresses caused by the heating and bending process done to a single piece spine. Wonder how the rails are bent though, whether heated and bent or mechanically bent using a rolling machine, like what B&M and I'm pretty sure Intamin also does, although neither have shown the process of how they bend their rails since it a "trade secret" according to B&M.

This got pretty far today, so expecting it to be completed structurally by the end of the month. Wouldn't be surprised if IOE headed down there as soon as a majority of the structural stuff is done to start installing the control system.

I'll give construction about 3-4 weeks.

Because you have learned all about construction schedules in your 13 years of life???

HAH! You doubted me! Look how much of the ride has gone up already! Kiss my

Wow, way to be a total douchebag to a moderator! Seriously, that was pretty uncalled for.

Now, as for Lightning Run? I think it's already looking pretty awesome!! And if anyone doubts that Chance can deliver a coaster chalked full of airtime, I have 2 words for you - Phantom's Revenge.

Loving the colors too.....very sleek!

ACE Midwest's Facebook page is on fire in terms of providing updates, and the park is building the ride crazy fast! Take a look!

Source

Maybe I'm not seeing things right, but I'm having a hard time matching this up with the rendering. To me, it looks like a curved drop into an airtime bunny hill. On the rendering, it looks like that curved drop is actually the ascent up the 2nd hill, and the bunny hill is a completely separate chunk at the end of the ride.

Got bored, decided to do a crappy progress visualization using the rendering found in Chance's hyper lite pdf. If the weather holds out, the structure of this coaster should fly up in no time.

Nice tool. Banshee had one, so why not LR. I'll be headed back up to town this weekend, so I guess I'll get another look at the coaster.

Do you guys think that Lightning Run might be better than the megalites?

Would be really cool if it were, but the bar is pretty freaking high to top a megalite.

The only thing I don't really like with LR is that some of the transitions seem weird and old school.

Nice tool. Banshee had one, so why not LR. I'll be headed back up to town this weekend, so I guess I'll get another look at the coaster.

If I-264 WB wasn't such a nightmare on weekdays around the time I'm headed to work, I'd swing by a snap a couple. I don't hate my life enough to warrant that kind of aggravation though.

Source

Maybe I'm not seeing things right, but I'm having a hard time matching this up with the rendering. To me, it looks like a curved drop into an airtime bunny hill. On the rendering, it looks like that curved drop is actually the ascent up the 2nd hill, and the bunny hill is a completely separate chunk at the end of the ride.

GL's old stumps creating the illusion the bunny hill and the second hill are connected....They are separate like the rendering. It's a wicked visual trick though. That'd be an insane, possibly life-ending (worth the risk) finale.

image.jpg.b2c8d83a178e6c615a37f4833ba8bc0e.jpg

DAT optical illusion though!

Edited by mudvayneimn

I'll give construction about 3-4 weeks.

Because you have learned all about construction schedules in your 13 years of life???

HAH! You doubted me! Look how much of the ride has gone up already! Kiss my

Wow, way to be a total douchebag to a moderator! Seriously, that was pretty uncalled for.

It was meant to be a joke. Sorry if it sounded really douchey (if "douchey" is even a word).

GL's old stumps creating the illusion the bunny hill and the second hill are connected....They are separate like the rendering.

Aww. Did not know that's what those were! Well, at least we're getting what I'm sure will be a worthy replacement.

I'm sure the coaster will be great and I look forward to riding it... but I still can't help but to look at the track and have thoughts of pain or discomfort run through my head.

When I think of this more traditional track style, I think back to the days of Arrow and early Vekoma. The problems were mainly transitions which weren't the most comfortable due to technological limitations. I have never had a problem with this track design where it's just simply rough. Morgan hypers proved very well that you can have this style of track and provide a comfortable ride for well over a decade now, and their transitions were mastered back then. I imagine Lightning Run to be just as smooth and track nicely like its older cousins.