TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I still can't understand why they would use the old track style. They have a new better track that they have used perviously, the original hyperlite concept showed that track. This type of track was outdated in the early 2000's, and for a company that have not built any coasters lately you would think that they would bring out the new technology when they are given a chance.

I still can't understand why they would use the old track style. They have a new better track that they have used perviously, the original hyperlite concept showed that track. This type of track was outdated in the early 2000's, and for a company that have not built any coasters lately you would think that they would bring out the new technology when they are given a chance.

It worked just fine for Phantom's Revenge, so I'm not going to complain unless this turns out differently.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it lol. We will see how that track design works out (hopefully) opening day.

I have to say I wasn't really sure if that color combination was going to work at first; man do those colors look nice and rich in reality! Even if the Banshee and Lightning Run turn out to be just "fun" coasters, KI and KK both have very pretty new coasters opening this year!

When you say old track do you mean track with rails coming from the outside like arrow's? Because I don't really see any problem with that, just a different style (vekoma is still using it on some of their coasters)

There could be 100 different reasons why they chose that style, but at the end of the day does it really matter? So long as the ride is structurally sound, does it matter at all? I doubt the park is telling Chance, "Sorry, this style of track doesn't look cool enough! We want that OTHER style of track!"

It doesn't really matter where the rail is and is by no means, "out of date." I mean, that's all that wooden coasters use is inside rails, where the bogies are on the inside of the track. Just depends on the manufacturer. Arrow used it for their entire coaster lineup, going from Matterhorn all the way up to X/X2. Vekoma still uses it for a majority of their major coasters. Only time that Morgan used an outside rail was when they built Steel Dragon 2000, and that's now using B&M trains.

Since Chance acquired Morgan in 2001, they had all of the steel designs for it, so why not use it. It doesn't make a difference in terms of ride experience, but as a design stand point, it does allow a narrower clearance around the track since it doesn't have to worry about clearance for the wheels.

Also on an un-related note, didn't realized how many companies went under around 2001-2002. Arrow, Custom Coasters, and Morgan all went under around that time. Boy, that was a rough time for the industry, losing a few of the biggest manufacturers at the time.

^ I seem to remember Alan S or Ron Toomer back in his Arrow days saying it was more expensive because of the each tie needing to be cut and welded... or something along those lines (inside rails that is). But whats not to say Chance Morgan has a machine that can make this type efficiently now. From cost of materials to design to the trains to the way it manufactured all play in to it. (Even patents play into it - Vekoma licenses the Arrow track design from them if I remember correctly).

There could be 100 different reasons why they chose that style, but at the end of the day does it really matter? So long as the ride is structurally sound, does it matter at all? I doubt the park is telling Chance, "Sorry, this style of track doesn't look cool enough! We want that OTHER style of track!"

Yes, there is a reason why they are using the old track style, and I would like to know it. Morgan developed the new track for Steel Dragon 2000 that is superior to the old design, and the original Chance Hyperlite was shown with that track, and then they are building this with the old track style.

For a company that has not built a ride in so long you would think they would bring out some new technology given the chance. It dosen't really matter if they have improved their skills at shaping the track, the outside design is still superior when designing wheel bogies.

It doesn't really matter where the rail is and is by no means, "out of date." I mean, that's all that wooden coasters use is inside rails, where the bogies are on the inside of the track.

It maters as it will make a difference in the ride experience when the ride is aging. Inside wheel steel track is outdated, and outside wheel track is far superior.

Just depends on the manufacturer. Arrow used it for their entire coaster lineup, going from Matterhorn all the way up to X/X2. Vekoma still uses it for a majority of their major coasters. Only time that Morgan used an outside rail was when they built Steel Dragon 2000, and that's now using B&M trains.

And look at how good all the Arrow rides are tracking? Sure they didn't have spring loaded wheel assembly's but still.

Steel Dragon is still running with the Chance train, B&M just built the body, most likely because the park was seeking a more open design.

Vekoma don't build the old track style anymore, unless someone buys an standard SLC, Boomerang or Mine Train, but I would suspect that they are also moving away from the old track style in their future Mine Train coasters.

Since Chance acquired Morgan in 2001, they had all of the steel designs for it, so why not use it. It doesn't make a difference in terms of ride experience, but as a design stand point, it does allow a narrower clearance around the track since it doesn't have to worry about clearance for the wheels.

Chance also have the right to the Steel Dragon track. The clearance is not a reason for choosing the old track.

Tennesee Tornado used the new inside wheel track by Arrow and last time I rode it I had a smooth ride. I don't think there is nothing wrong with using inside wheel track as long if it is done right. I mean, it just depends on what your experience on the ride is like and not what the track looks like, right?

Tennessee Tornado and the Morgan hypers track amazingly and they use inside rails. I think more then just the style of track goes into how well a ride tracks from how well the pieces are welded together to how the layout is designed. Like you mentioned how well the arrows tracked. Well majority of those were designed by drawing on the shop floor a bent to the shape. Well before the use of computer aided systems designing the layouts.

Other then it being your own opinion where is the research on whether one is far more superior then the other design. To me this like trying to argue to why Intamin still uses the lattice track and over the new spine track they developed. I'm sure there's a reason why they chose this style over the other and unless your apart of the design team between KK and Chance we may never know.