TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Neither; that's T2's faded black scheme. I imagine work on T2 won't begin until after the park is open for business.

Edit: I looked at the pictures again; are you referring to the lift hill? The first drop and inversions are definitely just the faded black. On first and second glance I interpreted the darkness of the lift hill as shadow and not paint; if that is actual paint then I'm so glad it's not that original RRRRREEEEEDDDDD! Doubt that would be primer though; what colors would use black as a primer? Serious question if anyone knows as painting is most certainly not my cup o' tea.

Actually, Vampire at Walibi Belgium currently has the red track and black support paint scheme. At least that no longer has the standard red track and teal supports many Six Flags SLCs have been painted. I'd like to see something other than red track though. I think a majority of the SLCs are painted with red track.

I've looked at some older pictures on Flickr (actually some of Midgetman82's) to see if it was just a leftover from Six Flags, possibly going to be repainted before they backed out of the park, but that looks like it's been painted fairly recently. I'm sure they're starting with the lift as I can imagine that there will be some track work done. Wouldn't doubt if we would seem them working on it during the summer. That track is in need of some desperate work...

Huh, I never noticed the blacker parts on T2. Not sure what they're doing there.

Also, I did a last sweep by the park before driving back to school, and there was heavy construction going on in both the water park, and Lightning Run's area.

On T2, I always thought the red track looked funny with the pink trains. I vote for going crazy with the paint scheme... Lime green track and violet supports and keep the new trains pink... oh, wait, that's what they did to Chang when they were building Blizzard River and debating the DC overhaul of that area... so not so crazy after all.

BTW, If you did fill out a job application, you should have gotten your "first interview" e-mail by now...

Also, mentioned earlier... Lightning Run is not a new "custom" coaster, it is the first of what I'm certain Chance Rides is hoping to be many clones. Kentucky Kingdom is essentially getting the park-ready prototype. This is not uncommon for Ed Hart. The Ferris wheel and Quake were Vekoma firsts. I'm not sure about the Vampire (boomerang) or the Roller Skater, but I am certain that Quake was the prototype Waikiki Wave (and the only non-flipping model) and the Giant Wheel is one-of-a-kind. While T2 actually was a prototype model, it is a clone, but there is only 1 other model identical to it (El Condor @ Walibi which was the first).

^Remember, they actually starting clearing the ground back in late summer when Greezed Lightnin' was dismantled. I think construction has been going on. It's just a little late for track construction. This coaster is half the size of Banshee at KI, and that took around 5 months to complete track construction. This ride is about half the length, so I'd give KK at least 2 1/2 months to complete it.

^Remember, they actually starting clearing the ground back in late summer when Greezed Lightnin' was dismantled. I think construction has been going on. It's just a little late for track construction. This coaster is half the size of Banshee at KI, and that took around 5 months to complete track construction. This ride is about half the length, so I'd give KK at least 2 1/2 months to complete it.

How could you even compare this to Banshee? Track length is not the crucial factor that affect the length of the construction time.

How could you even compare this to Banshee? Track length is not the crucial factor that affect the length of the construction time.

Considering this is the first of its kind, I think it would be reasonable to expect the ride to take more than your typical rollercoaster. Who knows? Like I said, first of its kind.

The park has come a long way in the last 12 months. I mean, a year ago nobody believed the place was ever going to open again. Now we are seeing construction updates on the world's tallest body slide and a brand new steel coaster!

I don't know if I'll get to the park next year since I already have plans to go to so many other parks. Plus, in 1 or 2 years the park will have even more credits, so I might as well just wait to visit until then. Can't wait to see trip reports!

Considering this is the first of its kind, I think it would be reasonable to expect the ride to take more than your typical rollercoaster. Who knows? Like I said, first of its kind.

It may be "the first of its kind" but it's the exact same track and support design as Morgan's other coasters.

I'm glad to see the progress that they are making. I find the idea of combining their wooden coasters to be very unlikely. As much as I would like to see a new coaster war for the longest wooden coaster, I think they would need to start from scratch instead of using Twisted Twins. While I will acknowledge that the longest doesn't necessarily mean it also needs to be the tallest, the Twisted Twins are on the short side. Part of what makes the Beast fun beyond the length is it still one of the taller coasters. Also looking at the intensity that is Outlaw Run and many coasters made in recent years, they would need a much steeper drops. Given Ed's track record of going for being one of the first to offer something and going for lower cost attractions, I don't find this realistic but I hope he is able to make something impressive nevertheless.

^^^ Not until I see some hair-time on Lightning Run will I be able to judge which is better.

I don't think there should be any worry on them getting the coaster up and running. Smaller footprint should mean relatively quicker setup, I'm sure. They still have roughly 4 months until the park's planned opening.

With the very specific park opening date they've set, I'd imagine it will have to be in order for the ride to open with the park.

I have a good deal of faith that they'll certainly try to meet the deadline. Just remember, the physical redevelopment of this park has been going on for quite some time now. CAI/Zamperla rebuilt Coney Island in 100 days. This park project has had far more lead time than that, so I'd say it is certainly possible that they'll meet their schedule with some time to spare.

On their fb page, they said that the weather hasn't hampered them and they were only a week or two from erecting steel. Here's the link and article:

http://www.wdrb.com/story/24617959/ky-kingdom-construction-not-bothered-by-harsh-winter

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - With five inches of snow on the ground in the Louisville area, riding a roller coaster or swimming in a wave pool may seem a long way away.

But at Kentucky Kingdom, the clock is ticking as the amusement park's grand opening date in May approaches.

Despite the harsh winter weather that seems to have no end, work to restore Kentucky Kingdom has continued in full force during the past few weeks.

WDRB News visited the park recently, and it was a very cold day with temperatures hovering in the low teens. Despite the bitter cold, there was plenty of construction activity underway.

"We've lost a day or two, but with the commitment we have it is 24/7, we make the day up on weekends if we have to," said Communications Director John Mulcahy.

One area of activity is the site of a new coaster under construction, on the east side of the park. "Site preparation is underway for the new Lightning Run coaster, which is our new signature coaster," Mulcahy said.

During the next couple of weeks, workers will begin erecting the steel and then the area will really begin to look like a coaster.

Kentucky Kingdom's new water park will be twice as big as in years past. Mulcahy said a 13- story tower will be built that will be part of what will be the nation's tallest body water slide.

One area the general public probably won't ever see is a new metal tech services building that has just been completed.

Mulcahy explained, "This is part of a $2 million commitment that we have made to upgrade the infrastructure and the behind-the-scenes facilities necessary to keep Kentucky Kingdom up and running as a top notch operation."

Despite one of the coldest winters Kentuckiana has seen in years, Mulcahy says the park is still set to open on time. "It's full steam ahead and everyone is committed to that May 24 opening," he said."