TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

The ride definitely climbed in my books thanks to the new video! It looked kinda dull in the first video, but it looks really great in this new one. Still can't wait to see if they are actually gonna use the old track shape for this or not.

^...but Thunder Run was built in 1990...

He probably means Lightning Run.

I did. What park has two coasters that have similar names? Seriously, Lightning Run and Thunder Run, that has to be intentional.

We all know I won't be the last to get the names mixed up.

^...but Thunder Run was built in 1990...

He probably means Lightning Run.

I did. What park has two coasters that have similar names? Seriously, Lightning Run and Thunder Run, that has to be intentional.

We all know I won't be the last to get the names mixed up.

Well of course the park named Lightning Run to match Thunder Run. They were named like that to be a "matching pair" or whatever.

I love the rides name! I enjoy when parks get creative and use names that connect other rides. I even like the Ghostrider/Coast rider play on names!

I do agree with this. (Though, I don't like the names GhostRider and Coast Rider at the same park since they have near-identical pronunciations.)

I like the name combo although I really wished it was "Lightnin' Run"..... I miss GL.

I'm going to avoid ranking predictions, but I will say I'm extremely happy that the park has managed to order a roller coaster that will offer a ride experience that is more that just a steep drop or gimmicky inversion. Even if the ride doesn't contain the "pop" those bunny hills give in the animation, you definitely will get a nice rush in the back seat of the first drop. I really hope those final bunny hills do produce that pop though; that would pretty awesome.

There was one thing I've been reading and hearing about is how the dry side of the park is really going to hold up this first year with only two actual adult coasters, especially one with only one train, and another with 800 rph. I thought I'd mention one thing I noticed about the 2014 season. It is obvious that the season is quite short; noticeable exception of September; I believe that issue is the reason for 2014's shorter operating season. When KK opens next year the water and dry park will be open together from day one and stay that way until the KSF. Then there's the complete omission of October from the season... and this is where I'm going to start flying off the rails with ridiculous assumptions and theories based on something I probably just dreamed of; and never even actually heard or read anywhere. Be prepared to say "wtf?"

I can't remember where I read it and if it was just rumor or confirmed, but I believe it was mentioned that the Halloween event that is obviously not happening in 2014 would be introduced in 2015. That would make a little more sense; you can expand the operating days into October as you'd have another big coaster in the mix (one with inversions for better/worse that is sure to draw it's own GP crowd being the only one in the park that loops) to help ease some of the congestion at LR and TR. 2016 would see an actual full season with an early spring opening, reintroducing the pre-SF teen dance party nights, and Halloween events. Twisted Twins will receive some type of very significant RMC treatment with inverting elements to help thin the T2/T3 congestion. If TT stays as two separate tracks, they might open one side season 2016, and the other side 2017; they'd have to be significantly different from each other though (one launched, one lift). Then KK could go for the marketing gimmick of "first launched woodie" if one isn't built by 2015. I also think the 2015/16 seasons will see some type of notable additions to Hurricane Bay to help even out the park over all. If the park makes it through these first 3 seasons, I think we'll see the next two seasons go to heavier investments with the water park (due to the smaller new ride investment numbers from the proposals). Holiday World will probably add their first major steel coaster during one of those seasons; and if the water park additions are first of their type or World Record rides, that would still give people a reason to visit both parks. The dry side of the park would receive unique flats to keep things a bit interesting to hold over until the next big endeavor blah blah blah...

Hope that was an exhaustingly fantastical read that manages to be utterly fanboyish, childlishy unrealistic, and makes you think "yeah cool, but let's get through Season 2014 first".

If you were a park trying to reopen to the public, wouldn't you want your new star attraction to be open and ready?

Maybe not. The park itself reopening is going to be a big draw. After things settle down a little the coaster opens and you get another bump. Getting people to come back more than once to the park.

Bob, you reasoning makes perfect sense for a park being reborn

The only way I would disagree is if a the new ride was promoting as opening with the park at the beginning of the season.

Luna Park in Coney Island was absolutely packed on opening day and 5 of 22 rides were not ready. People were just glad to have a park again.

Edited by larrygator

I always thought the Coaster looked fun, but now I think it will be a Blast and just what the Kingdom needs for a relaunch. I think the park will do good next Summer, I also think the season will be expanded in 2015 for Spring Break and a Halloween Event, they were always big draws before.

I really cant stand the Fair Board. They are mostly to blame that the park sat idle for as long as it did!

They aren't mostly. They ARE the reason it sat vacant.

And the reason Six Flags left town.

Absolutely right. I don't know if Six Flags would still have the park now, but if not for the Fair Board they would not have left so abruptly, and the Park may have been passed into other hands rather than closing all together if Six Flags had still decided to leave. But, at least its on the right track again.

Did Six Flags really leave all that abruptly, though? I thought the removal of Chang and the announcement of a HUGE water park addition without a single detail or piece of concept art released was a pretty gigantic, in-your-face red flag. And there was the whole thing with a fourth of the park being closed since 2007...plus the removal of Hellevator, Rainbow, Chaos, and other rides with no replacements...