TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I thought about the drop tower thing as soon as I read it. I am okay with it as well, but I figure the press and some general public will go crazy about it. I think the coaster looks awesome and is going to be an airtime machine. I think while it is smaller, it will back a punch. It also puts a nice new steel coaster in the front of the park that can be seen from the dividing road and from the parking lot. I do wish the name wasn't Lightning Run since Thunder Run is already in the park. It is appropriate to announce the coaster named after lightning since later on this Sunday the area is suppose to have really bad severe storms.

Obviously they are adding on to the main money makers the most, Hurricane Bay. That is a very smart move as long as we don't see a Geauga Lake happen where the water park is all that will be in a few years. I also think it is pretty cool they're gonna have a seal show. You don't see many non-marine theme parks with that anymore.

I think it is gonna be a great opening year for them and many great years ahead.

Jake

Lightning Run looks like its going to be a fun coaster. So T2 and Twisted Twins are just not opening till they are upgraded right? I understand Twins is getting the RMC treatment I believe. Just I figure they have T2 open the first season back.

I think the new coaster looks a bit meh to be honest, but check out that pricing for the season pass, that is an incredible value!

Can't wait to follow the water park construction.

I don't really see the drop tower as a problem, because of the accident.

If anyone would bring it up, Ed would just blame it on the bad maintenance of Six Flags, and most people would probably accept that answer, and be happy with it.

Americas tallest water slide.... wow something bigger is coming than the one schlitterbahn is building already?

Well it says America's tallest speed slide when I look at the site. I imagine it will be a clone of the new slide that went in at Port Aventura this year, maybe slightly taller.

Edit: I see it now, it's says different things on different places on the site. Hopefully they get it sorted out soon.

Edited by _koppen

I am just excited to see Change Morgan back in the fold. I think it was a great surprise. Although this is not an Intamin Mega-Light... this is the FIRST Mega-Light style coaster in the US! Am I right? That's pretty major right there... Regarding the drop tower... I curious to see the stats. If its anything like Knoebels or the one at Waldameer then I don't think it will be that large of a stable to draw much attention connected with the old accident.

Edited by vacoaster09

Although this is not an Intamin Mega-Line... this is the FIRST Mega-Light in the US! Am I right?.

No, sorry. Megalite is not a name for hyper coasters around 100 feet tall, it is Intamin's own name for the specific model that is the Megalite.

Although this is not an Intamin Mega-Line... this is the FIRST Mega-Light in the US! Am I right?.

No, sorry. Megalite is not a name for hyper coasters around 100 feet tall, it is Intamin's own name for the specific model that is the Megalite.

I do believe that Chance calls theirs a Hyper-Lite.

Looks like a pretty fun coaster to me. I was also surprised to see a drop ride right away too. I'm sure the media will find a way to have a field day with that. As far as the other two coasters they already have on the map......can't wait to see what those will end up being.

I referring to the style of coaster ... I know the names are different Mega-Light/Hyper-Light.

What happened to the days of us calling them Junior Hypers? Who cares what the style is called, it looks awesome.

I admittedly have not been following this project very closely. I had not realized that T2 wouldn't be open with the park next year, but it makes me excited and hopeful that the delay will me some major refurbishment and possible new/modified trains. I have always heard T2 was the worst hang and bang of them all.

Also looking forward to see what they do with Twisted Twins. I think it's great that they are posting them on the maps and stating a year. Shows their confidence in the project.

Definitely pleased with LR; I originally dreaded hearing Morgan hyperlite (promo layout from their video didn't look too intense). For a smaller coaster this one still manages to have quite a variety of elements. The waterpark additions are looking solid as well, it is going to be really interesting seeing a waterslide standing 20 feet taller than a looping steel coaster right next to it. I thought that the Schlitterbahn slide was way taller than 120ft though, does anyone know the stats for it?

I know I'll be helping the attendance figures next year, nothing beats a 5 minute drive to an amusement park! The reopening linup is quite a bit better than I'd hoped so no complaints here, and for the coaster....it's not a standard model Skyloop so I'm happy.

Edit: Are those FLYING SCOOTERS? I'm so down for that.

Edit #2: Then there's this little nugget: Aqua Theater - Rescued Sea Lion Show ....I thought the old Looney Tunes Theatre looked a little wet.

Lightning Run looks amazing! All the elements arrangement look so natural. I would love to ride it someday. With a 7 million budget this could probably be the best choice (compare to Volare, SkyLoop etc) Just because it provide a lot of airtime, I like it. I don't mind how it compares to Mega-Lites. Plus it's good to see Chance coming alive.

Lightning run looks like WATER, that thing flows so well. And those overbanks. <3

Definitely need to get down there next year. And if this is just year one, I can't wait to see what comes for T2 and Twisted Twins. I unfortunately never got to go when it was Six Flags, I was crushed when it closed, I can't wait to finally go!

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet....

While *I* personally think it's great, does anyone else think it's sort of weird they are adding a drop tower for their re-opening year? Seems to me that's just asking for the press to bring up the accident. And that's only because the press are dumb and would be looking for a headline...

Found this interesting point under the FAQ section of the website. Seems like they are trying to be covered when someone brings it up. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, as this would remind people of the accident. http://www.kentuckykingdom.com/park-info/faqs/

1036085715_Screenshot2013-11-17at7_37_04AM.jpg.d72f6b2588b935af6567625290b48576.jpg

^Hmm--that FAQ is interesting. I still think there's a chance for a PR firestorm over the park having a drop tower, though--especially if it has some routine mechanical problems and breaks down.