TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I am a bit worried about them spending 12 million dollars for the water park expansions and that expansion going in the same spot Chang did and only 7 million dollars going towards a new roller coaster. Ed Hart must be really confident about this 7 million dollar roller coaster to get people excited about since people have been wondering what the new roller coaster is going to be and if it turns out to be something not interesting for people to travel for and those people end up going to Kings Island for The Banshee.

If it was me and on a budget like Ed Hart is, I would of lowered the amount the water park expansion got and put a Intamin Mega Lite where the new roller coaster is going, have the supports painted blue and track yellow. Great marketing to go along with the first Intamin Mega Lite in the United States. Enthusiasts would travel to ride the first one in the United States and not to mention it being a great fun ride with airtime etc.

It seems like water parks really soak up a lot of money from the GP, especially in this area of the country. Look at Holiday World. More people go to that park for the water park and hit the coasters if they have time. It was kind of a buzz kill for me when the 'new expensive attraction' for Holiday World was a new water attraction, for several years coming. However, that's what brought people back in droves. I personally think we're going to see more of the same from Kentucky Kingdom. Either way, I'm not complaining. Whatever it takes to get the park on its feet.

I'd have to think that there's a lot of evidence to show that waterpark investments have a much higher return. And it makes sense...when I think about money that I've spent at a park, I always end up spending more on the waterpark side. I end up realizing that I need a locker, then use the people-dryer or end up purchasing a towel, I've had friends come in sneakers and buy flip-flops in the waterpark, etc. Also, I feel like in the dry park I'm a lot more likely to get a hand stamp and then go off-site for food. In the waterpark, it's so much more convenient to just stay in your board shorts, grab a quick burger, then head back to the lazy river.

Hmm... well, a Mega-Lite would be fun, but the GP would call it a kiddie coaster because it is slightly small, not gimmicky, and has no inversions. That's personally why I think Maverick is such a success - it has the unusual launches, inversions, and 95-degree drop. A Mega-Lite has none of that. Although it might fit in this park now that Chang is gone, I would imagine that the GP still would flock to T2 first. I hope not, but still.

A Mega Lite would be taller, faster and longer than T2, making it the largest in the park. Funny how that works - when all of your coasters are around 100 feet or below in height (T2 is 102 feet), a "compact" coaster seems large.

^LOL. I've never been on T2, but isn't it quite crappy even for an SLC? I'd actually want to ride it because it's one of only two prototypes, but still.

I think some seats in the back were more bearable than others, but it still knocked the crap out you. iirc, the weirdest thing with it was there wasn't as much headbanging as there was jerking your whole body in every direction possible. Not pleasant, but I still loved it.

It was the only SLC I've ridden I was able to enjoy; riding it right was key. It was so strange the last two cars where the smoothest on that ride. I agree the ride was more shuffle than headbang (unless you sat in the front), and if you knew where the bad spots were you could prepare and avoid severe pain. The worse jolt was the exit out of the roll over but if you firmly held your head back and on the right headrest you could make it. There was a funky shuffle in the not-so overbanked floaty hill and the sidewinder. If I kept my head a bit outside of headrest range I was good for all of it. Through the carousel and rolls I kept my head on the right headrest and that was it, I might just be a glutton for punishment. T2 became a guilty pleasure of sorts, I've not been able to enjoy any other SLC I've ridden.

At this point though that ride needs a date with the scrap yard. It is a shame that to get to Twisted Twins we will have to wait for the T2 refurb; although that is still better than not having the park at all.

I'm sure Ed will do the best he can with T2, interested to see what they have in store for 2015. As for the rest of the Park, it is looking very nice, new paint everywhere. I'm sure I will get a Season Pass, or I may go back to work there, next year.

Snow is definitely promised in January and February, but how much of it will come down is unknown to me due to it differing every season. Last year there didn't seem to be as much as the previous years, so I don't think there should be much slowed progress. Ed Hart did say that he wanted to get the exterior of everything done first before working on the interiors, so at least many workers will be within something when the weather does change.

It's always been like that on the Crittenden Drive boundary of the park; the property goes right up to the road. They have the wooden fence over where the attractions run right up to the edge, but once the boundary gets away from being right on the road it's just that barbwire.

There has been some talk about kk getting the time machine rollercoaster from hard rock park, but due to timing, money, and space that just doesn't seem practical. But what if kentucky kingdom got their mine train or launched coaster. This also fits nicely with the screamscape rumor that rides will be leaving hard rock park very soon.

There has been some talk about kk getting the time machine rollercoaster from hard rock park, but due to timing, money, and space that just doesn't seem practical. But what if kentucky kingdom got their mine train or launched coaster. This also fits nicely with the screamscape rumor that rides will be leaving hard rock park very soon.

Screamscape also seems to think the majority of rides will probably be hitting Asia.

According to Mr. Hart, this will be a "brand new steel coaster". He doesn't seem to be the type of guy to mince words so I doubt the new coaster will be refurbished. Only a few more weeks until they announce the new coaster and rides though. I'm changing my guess again; put me down for the first launching inverted Maurer Söhne Skyloop.

I think it would be awesome if they went with some crazy, new design. The downside with a brand-new type of coaster would be the inherent risks of it not working properly. That could be bad during the first year that Kentucky Kingdom being open to have the new coaster closed all the time.

They are definitely smart in investing more into the water park this first year. A small investment goes a long way with water parks.

I sense a one-train operation with how far forward it took for the train to stop.

Not any worse than Bizarro @ SFNE where the train stops about 7-10 feet from the train in the station.

Great to see they're making progress.

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/DQUTurfx0UE[/youtu_be]

Thunder Run has always only had one train operation. I was hoping they'd finally remove/relocate the gift/photo shop that's in the way. With that shop right next to the brake run, there's no room for a transfer track/storage shed. Thunder Run is looking pretty good though, and the new logo isn't bad either.

According to the WDRB story, the new ride announcements will take place during the first week of November.

Iconic Kentucky Kingdom Coaster Opens for First Time in Five Years

"...Officials said more announcements are coming the first week in November. At that point they will allow the public to see the new layout of the park..."

Edited by mudvayneimn