TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

The new ride won't go in Chang's spot, the new water park is going there. The new ride will go where the Schwarzkopf, that is now removed, stood.

According to the report they sent to the fairgrounds last year, they also were looking into putting a coaster over there right next to the new water park and behind or next to the picnic pavilion "a family wooden coaster" were currently the go cart track is, if I remember correctly.

The new ride won't go in Chang's spot, the new water park is going there. The new ride will go where the Schwarzkopf, that is now removed, stood.

According to the report they sent to the fairgrounds last year, they also were looking into putting a coaster over there right next to the new water park and behind or next to the picnic pavilion "a family wooden coaster" were currently the go cart track is, if I remember correctly.

The RFP report was a decoy to other parks from what it appears so far IMO. The facebook page already confirmed that the Thrill Karts will be taken out for the water park expansion.

This may not be very popular, but I think that would be very good for the park if they added 2 coasters, for example, a Vekoma Boomerang and a Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster. However, other than that, here are my top three possibilities:

1. Gerstlauer Eurofighter. After all, Rock Bottom Plunge only cost $2,500,000. They could do something larger and longer with $7,000,000.

2. Relocated Time Machine from Freestyle Music Park. Used coasters are affordable, and I think they could afford it with their budget.

3. A prototype coaster. Because prototype coasters are typically affordable.

How about an Intamin ZacSpin? They got a layout that is bigger than Green Lantern/Insane.

God I hope Not. Hopefully a Premier Rides LIM coaster to offer inversions, airtime, and be able to be under the airport height limit.

I'll second that. Green Latern hurts more than a sledgehammer to the nuts.

I liked the Zacspin in Grona Lund, but Magic Mountain's is a POS thanks to their method of weighing/operating it. I'd rather do just about anything else than ride that pile of future scrap metal again. And because of that, it is pretty difficult for me to get a hard-on for seeing one go up at Kentucky Kingdom. I'd seriously rather see them try to resurrect Quake.

Quake was alright as a ride, but as I look back to the many times I've enjoyed it as a little kid, I realize it was nothing special other than being the first of its kind (I think). It never inverted, and it was pretty noisy. Bringing it back would be kinda pointless, in my opinion. Now, if they brought in one that inverted, I wouldn't be against it at all.

Also, is Green Lantern that bad?

Quake was alright as a ride, but as I look back to the many times I've enjoyed it as a little kid, I realize it was nothing special other than being the first of its kind (I think). It never inverted, and it was pretty noisy. Bringing it back would be kinda pointless, in my opinion. Now, if they brought in one that inverted, I wouldn't be against it at all.

Have you ridden Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland?

Have you ridden Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland?

Never been to the park, nor been on a ride like it. But isn't Shockwave a Top Scan though?

This was Quake, if you don't know:

img source

Edited by Midgetman82

^ it pains me to think you've experienced both.

Probably less painful than Green Lantern. Shoot, I'd take Colossus 100x over Green Lantern again. I might even consider Ghost Rider over Green Lantern

Call me a masochist but I actually loved both Ghost Rider and even Green Lantern! I've riden it twice and had similar results on each ride. They really aren't what people make it out to be (when it comes to being awful). I had far better experiences on those 2 coasters compared to my "credit" ride on Revolution at SFMM.

Ready to ride GL (or any ZacSpin) again...preferably unbalanced!

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I had a bit of dread before I rode Green Lantern for the first time (WCB 2013), but when I rode it it wasn't that bad and I actually liked it. However, I am saying this keeping in mind that I could've lucked out on my ride and have yet to experience the pain that others claim it dishes out in spades.

As for the new coaster in Greezed Lightnin's spot, I think an LSM launched coaster (with a layout custom made to fit in that spot) from Mack or Premier would be nice.

FTR, I wasn't being serious about bringing back Quake. It might have been good when it operated, but it probably also only operated maybe 10-15% of the time it stood on that location. Green Lantern is horrible because, being that it is designed to flip over and has been altered to not do so, it often ends up dropping riders in Screaming Squirrel-like inverted positions rather unnaturally.

And man, I'd rather ride any Top Scan, even the tamest park version, than any ZacSpin. Not even close.

^NO!!! GL is not that bad well IMO I happen to love the ride and think it's one of the most intense craziest rides on the planet

Yeah! I loved Green Lantern a lot during my visit to SFMM back to 2012.

It depends, I've ridden GL a few times, and once or twice it was *pretty* good, but then other times it just destroyed me.

Ed Hart showing off progress at Kentucky Kingdom

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/2013/09/take-a-look-behind-the-gates-of.html

"Sep 26, 2013, 3:05pm EDT Updated: Sep 26, 2013, 4:09pm EDT

Take a look behind the gates of Kentucky Kingdom

John Karman III | Business First

The target reopening date for the long-shuttered Kentucky Kingdom amusement park is still eight months away, but that didn’t stop park operator Ed Hart and his investment partners from showing off the progress they’ve made in restoring the venue to media members and other guests on Thursday.

Hart proved quite the tour guide as he took reporters and members of the Kentucky State Fair Board through the 60-acre park. The fair board manages the state-owned Kentucky Exposition Center, where Kentucky Kingdom is located.

Hart reaffirmed his promise that Kentucky Kingdom will reopen May 24, 2014, with new and refurbished rides and attractions.

He also said that information about pricing and new rides and features will be announced in November.

Hart said he and his investment partners have invested about $10 million to date on improvements at the amusement park.

Workers were on hand today, painting, doing landscaping work and making other repairs.

Kentucky Kingdom closed in 2009 and never reopened after former operator Six Flags Inc. walked away from its lease. Hart and his partners finally reached a deal with the fair board earlier this year to manage the venue after several previous bids failed.

The owners of the Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari amusement park in Santa Claus, Ind., also made a run at reopening Kentucky Kingdom as an attraction called Bluegrass Boardwalk but later backed out of the project.

Hart’s partners in Kentucky Kingdom LLLP are Bruce Lunsford, his partner in Hart-Lunsford Pictures LLC; Ed Glasscock, chairman emeritus of Frost Brown Todd LLC law firm; and the Al J. Schneider Co., led by president Mary Moseley.

All of the partners were present for today’s tour.

Hart has said he and his partners intend to spend $43.5 million to reopen Kentucky Kingdom.

About 60 employees currently are on the amusement park’s payroll, according to Hart. And several contractors are on site daily doing repair work and upgrades.

“We’re fully mobilized,” Hart said. “There’s a lot to be done. But we’ve accomplished a lot already. It’s starting to have the feel of a theme park, but we are just beginning.”