TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Didn't the boomerang from Alabama Adventure get sold? Who bought it?

Stingray's probably gonna be a no-go due to capacity. I'd imagine a custom one if he did go with something like it, but I don't see it with the money put down.

They are very busy. There were also people measuring the buildings and probably checking the structure for any repairs. We just walked up to the front gate and the people were very friendly. I was expecting them to tell us to leave, but they didn't. If anyone is thinking of going out there be sure to check the Kentucky Exposition Center's website first and make sure there are no events going on. From past experience, if there are no events going on, there is nobody at the ticket window for parking and it is free.

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy . . .

Just when I thought I could handle the speculation of what type of coaster will be debuting in Kings Island for next season, now we have another coaster speculation war happening at Kentucky Kingdom.

Isn't this just great?

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride.

Yes it is. But at least here we have a price figure hint of 7 million which helps to narrow it down. Also there is a height limit of about 150 - 200 feet because of thee airport. I am not sure exactly what it is.

That sounds about right. I think that the height limit is actually higher on the entrance side of the park and then is a little lower on the waterpark side. Good thing this new coaster is going on the entrance side. Although I don't think it is possible to get a 200 foot coaster for 7 million.

Yes, the highest height allowances are in the front portion of the park. I wonder if the new ride will turn out to be a custom tilt coaster.....would definitely grab GP attention being such an exotic choice. I hate to say it but I actually would be content with one as long as there is a bit more than just a loop and helix. My bet is still on a Eurofighter though.

So, Coasterwise, what is going to be open next year? I know they were talking about doing rehab on Twisted Twins and T2. But the question is, will they be open initially? Personally I don't know that I am excited about a rehab on T2 Vekoma SLC's kinda suck compared the the B&M. Something about being slammed against the restraint in the front car while waiting for last couple to catch up.

I believe its been confirmed that T2 will open in 2015 with Twisted Twins opening in 2016. That would mean Thunder Run, the roller skater, and whatever the new coaster are currently scheduled to open with the park next year.

Sucks to see GL come down like that. It will forever be my "one that got away." I really should have insisted that I get on it last time I was at the park and it was operating. Darn.

Having said that, everyone who thinks the track is too rusty, what do you think is seriously done with exposed roller coaster track in the off season? The answer is that it sits outside. And gets weathered.

Most coaster track doesn't look like that when the season opens because running the trains around the ride track helps to considerably remove the rust look. Early in the season they'll look rustier than later.

It's particularly an issue to parks with inverts that have/ had have unpainted rails, as the rust will actually drip on people. I know of at least one ride where starting in March if it is raining they will send someone out to just cycle it to clear up the rust on the tracks so it doesn't drip on people.

GL didn't look to be in that bad of shape - seriously. I'm sure that it was just the cost for a new launch system versus the cost of new ride were weighed, and the idea of getting something new was far easier to market. Besides that, it helps to fit Ed's group's theme of "everything that Six Flags did didn't work" in it's removal. Win, win, win.

I've also got to say, this park is really fascinating to me right now. I really hope that a go of it can be made again.