TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Ed hart is all about the cutting edge of rollercoasters. I think a boomerang would not be very smart. Also, the park said that the new rollercoaster would at least partly be in greezed lightnin's spot. No one in their right mind would buy a new boomerang, and theysaid the rollercoaster would be new. Also kings island has an inverted boomerang.

Complete speculation: there's a B&M looping coaster in South Carolina that might fit in the space they have ... my guess is they could buy it cheaply, if it's for sale.

I rode it when it was still open at Freestyle Music Park. If KK wants a GREAT coaster, this is not it. It wasn't bad, but it has the worst B&M rattle and it banged my head a lot. Plus it's been sitting there for over 3 years

^I don't think Kennywood ever released financial information for Sky Rocket, but according to RCDB, it's 2100 feet long and YOLOcoaster is 2200 feet long, so I would guess they would be in the same ballpark with regards to price.

Wait - a massive Premier LSM coaster costs LESS than a cliche Boomerang, has a more flexible layout, and can be adapted into compact spaces (see Superman at SFDK)... why is the Boomerang more popular? If the GP like going backwards, Premier has proven themselves to be able to do that. Maybe electricity costs?

On another note, Superman at SFDK's layout could probably be easily jammed into Greezed Lightnin's olf plot... just saying

^ hence my reason why nobody in their right mind would buy a new boomerang.

Maybe if Vekoma gave parks an option to cutomize a boomerang-esque shuttle coaster, there would be more Boomerang designs and maybe the style would become less cliche. Well, its too late for that, really.

I would love to see a ride like full throttle rather than superman ultimate flight because full throttle still goes backwards (which the gp will love), and it still has good capacity (2 trains of 18 each). With only two major rollercoasters in the park the lines would be long.

Where did this $7 million figure for a Boomerang come from?

That's my fault. I said they were "about" $7 Million. Probably closer to $6.2 Mill. Some of the older ones were in the $4-5 Mill range, but those were built over 10 years ago, so you figure the higher costs now for inflation and Quantitative Easing (QE3)

^Or maybe they cost less from advances in engineering/fabrication/construction? Who knows. Ride pricing is extremely variable depending on all sorts of factors.

I don't think they'll be getting a boomerang...but maybe something else from Vekoma (like a custom mine train or big air coaster) is in their price range...

Edited by Jew

I seriously doubt it would be a Boomerang as well, but lets hypothetically say that it is:

• The space of the former Vampire is available (even though they said the new coaster is going in GL's space)

• Ed loved the Vampire, and the public did too until it started getting stuck

• With the new trains and refurb going on with T2 and the refurb with the Wheel and Carousel, I would suspect he still has a relationship with Vekoma

• Boomerangs do a helluva lot with a tiny space

• GL was a shuttle as well as a Boomerang

• Everybody knows that coaster enthusiasts can't get enough Boomerangs

• There isn't another one around for hundreds of miles (Invertigo is different enough to fool the GP)

• The ride is still made (brand-new ones in China in '12 and '13 according to rcdb.com) and the new trains are said to be better

So, don't panic, kids. It's all for fun.

I seriously doubt it would be a Boomerang as well, but lets hypothetically say that it is:

• The space of the former Vampire is available (even though they said the new coaster is going in GL's space)

• Ed loved the Vampire, and the public did too until it started getting stuck

• With the new trains and refurb going on with T2 and the refurb with the Wheel and Carousel, I would suspect he still has a relationship with Vekoma

• Boomerangs do a helluva lot with a tiny space

• GL was a shuttle as well as a Boomerang

• Everybody knows that coaster enthusiasts can't get enough Boomerangs

• There isn't another one around for hundreds of miles (Invertigo is different enough to fool the GP)

• The ride is still made (brand-new ones in China in '12 and '13 according to rcdb.com) and the new trains are said to be better

So, don't panic, kids. It's all for fun.

Vekoma made the carousel? And If we're going with a Vekoma with a compact layout, How about this http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/experience-thrill-coasters/stingray

Don't mean to derail this too much but I was browsing YouTube and came across some awesome old school footage from the park. I don't believe these have ever been posted in this thread, if so my apologies. The first two are of the lovely hang and bangs T2 and Vampire. It's neat seeing T2's all red scheme on film; and wtf is up with the sound Vampire makes on the second lift? No wonder the Chinese thought it was haunted ..... Perhaps the most interesting footage is of Thunder Run during it's opening year, which I'll bring up in a sec.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

So if you watched the TR pov you'll notice something I never knew....Thunder Run had a double up! I always thought that straight-a-way was weird and misplaced. Looks like they were removed prior to 1995, does anyone have any info on why? Anyway, seeing the park fill out over the years in those videos is pretty neat!

After going by a few weeks ago here are my thoughts.

I-This place has a odd layout to be honest the walk way I feel just separates it. Although in my later analysis I will share more on what I feel is neccesary.

II-The place is in dire need of restoration and I feel that our man Mr. Hart will be the "reclaimer".

III-The space in the whole Kingdom just looks crammed and with a few "extractions" being made, I can see a much better KK.

IV-If Mr. Hart could buy out existing areas around the Kingdom, I could see it becoming a very good competitor with the already present Holiday World just north of there.

V-Whenever this place is back with the coasters in great condition, I could see it as a must do when it comes to visits in that region for moderate family thrills.