TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

It's interesting to me that the video about additions to the park talks about how much Ed and his group did to add coasters, and then downplays the water park angle, but then the plan if Ed does re-open is to double the size of the water park.

To me, the whole land rental thing always smelled funny. If you don't actually own your own land or control your own parking, that makes things interesting. On top of that, what incentive does the government who does control that have to increasing their help with the land and upgrading things? Seems like a horrible deal.

The other thing is that Six Flags under the Shapiro management did seem to really try investing in the park - rides were being painted, the park was being cleaned up, and everything was looking better it seemed. I remember visiting almost by accident in 2007 after I had said that I would never visit again due to the horrible operations earlier in the 2000s, and I was floored by the differences. You could tell the park was really coming together... and then the Superman accident happened. It wasn't just that the park decided to remove the Hellevator like the video about rides being added and whatnot says, it's that they had one of the worst media fiascos for a ride in the last 5 years... and somehow, their attendance more or less stayed the same and it didn't totally bottom out. To me, that says something.

I'd love to revisit Kentucky Kingdom, but I really don't know what it would need to fix it. The height limits with the airport limit monstrous rides that could be added, the layout just flat out sucks, and T2 and Twisted Sisters or whatever they were called were not fun. Thunder Run was good, but with Chang gone and the rumors of Greezed Lightning not returning, there isn't tons that I see to get people in once, much less twice. It takes more than just one good ride to make a patron click the turnstyle, and even a $25 season pass won't help you.

I hope them the best, I'd love to see it reopen again, and I'd love to have as good of a time as I had there in 2007 again!

The other thing is that Six Flags under the Shapiro management did seem to really try investing in the park - rides were being painted, the park was being cleaned up, and everything was looking better it seemed. I remember visiting almost by accident in 2007 after I had said that I would never visit again due to the horrible operations earlier in the 2000s, and I was floored by the differences. You could tell the park was really coming together.

This section alone, I couldn't agree with you more. I remember coming back in 2009 and seeing the park had actually boosted a little in quality. It seemed less run-down and there was more being put into cleanliness and up-keeping, including re-paintings. The Chang repaint wasn't something I was totally for since they went from Purple, to blue supporting, but I got used to it and actually enjoyed the freshness of the coaster. That, and there was a wonderful balance of foliage I noticed in the park.

Just saying, those that hadn't been to the park since, say, 2002 missed out on a noticeable quality boost.

This section alone, I couldn't agree with you more. I remember coming back in 2009 and seeing the park had actually boosted a little in quality. It seemed less run-down and there was more being put into cleanliness and up-keeping, including re-paintings. The Chang repaint wasn't something I was totally for since they went from Purple, to blue supporting, but I got used to it and actually enjoyed the freshness of the coaster. That, and there was a wonderful balance of foliage I noticed in the park.

Just saying, those that hadn't been to the park since, say, 2002 missed out on a noticeable quality boost.

Before that chance happening in 2007 - basically, I went to a business meeting and the people I went with said, "Hey, let's stop in Kentucky Kingdom!" so I went - 2002 was my previous year, and it sucked. Bad. They had the bridge and back section closed off, the ride operators were the worst that I had ever seen, period, doing horribly dangerous things - my "favorite" was watching an employee ride the floor down right in front of me on T2 and then jump out of the way when the train started toward him - and the people were not friendly at all. We were stopping in for a couple hours on the way to Holiday World, and we really only wanted to take a few quick rides and then head to Holiday World... My big memory from that year was getting to the bridge, starting up it and having a Security Guard near us start screaming at us to get back from the bridge or we'd be kicked out. We asked what was going on, and were told that no one was to cross the bridge. It took us about 5 minutes to get it out of him that this was normal, and that 3/4ths of the park opened *an hour* later.

One of my favorite pictures from that trip is the picture we took of my friend in front of the guard as we waited when he was looking the other way. You can see the disgust on my friend's face who was in the picture. We decided to wait out the last 30 minutes only for Chang, and then we were impressed to see giant chunks of the paint peeling off it when it finally opened.

2007 was a few days before the Superman incident, and it was like we were in a whole new park. It looked great, and was a relaxing environment to be in. The employees were all super friendly, and the rides were relatively well run. My only regret was we didn't have much time, and I didn't force my way on Greezed Lightning. I just missed riding Tidal Wave when it was at Great America, just missed it again at Six Flags Over Georgia, and really wanted to ride it. I figured I'd get there next time I went through the area... *sigh*.

Well, according to the reports, at least I can tell that something is going on in that park. I did see pictures of the Roller Skater trains, but what about the track? Is it still there? Am I the only one who cares too much about the Roller Skater? I do know that they had a great carrousel that included bench seats that rocked back and forth, and my favorite type of flat ride that was called "The Flying Dutchman". Are those two rides still inside the park?

Well, they've got less than a year to reopen this park, and should I find this park to be a "must-visit-or die" attraction, then I might consider revamping next year's summer plan and go to Kentucky. Otherwise, I won't be singing "Blue Moon of Kentucky" nor "My Old Kentucky Home" anymore.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

Who all believes, THIS TIME Kentucky Kingdom will reopen? It is now the month of June so now the park has less than a year until its proposed reopening.

I don't believe it will open in the springtime. I'd say the earliest it could open is late June/early July.

It doesn't look like any new major attractions will be added until 2015.

The park will open with a kids coaster, flat rides, and possibly the inverted coaster.

The wooden coasters and Greezed Lightnin' are not ever going to be run again from what I hear.

The park needs to be cleaned and repainted. The process needs to be started in July to get the park running next year.

Who all believes, THIS TIME Kentucky Kingdom will reopen? It is now the month of June so now the park has less than a year until its proposed reopening.

I do.

The wooden coasters and Greezed Lightnin' are not ever going to be run again from what I hear.

The park needs to be cleaned and repainted. The process needs to be started in July to get the park running next year.

Says who? With the exception of Greeted potentially due to parts, rehabbing wooden coasters isn't by any means impossible, and it would be WAY cheaper than building new ones. As for needing to start painting now to open next June, I can't imagine it would take a full year to paint. It doesn't take a full year to build a huge ride when they put enough people on it, and you would hire painters as outside contractors.

Honestly, they could open within three months or less of figuring everything out. It depends on how fast management wants to go and can afford to go - or not go.

Says who? With the exception of Greeted potentially due to parts, rehabbing wooden coasters isn't by any means impossible, and it would be WAY cheaper than building new ones. As for needing to start painting now to open next June, I can't imagine it would take a full year to paint. It doesn't take a full year to build a huge ride when they put enough people on it, and you would hire painters as outside contractors.

Honestly, they could open within three months or less of figuring everything out. It depends on how fast management wants to go and can afford to go - or not go.

I think it would take longer than three months to remove all imposing plants and weeds, repaint pretty much every ride and fix them up, rehab the wooden coasters if needed, get new trains for Twisted Sisters, test the rides, clean up the trails, fix up the food stands, etc. Lots of stuff needs to be done to fix the park. Yes, it can be done by next summer, but not if they start later than September/October, and that would still be pushing it.

I seem to remember seeing a video where he commented that Twisted Twins, at least, would be opening a year after the park, not with it. Figuring on that, and not being ANYTHING NEAR an expert, I would imagine someone like RMC, GCI, or GG could probably get Thunder Run completely refreshed in 3-4 months (it's only 2,850 ft of track). Outside of that, it could all be done in 3 months, it's just a question of whether or not Ed Hart wants to drop the kind of money it would take to get the manpower to do it that quickly.

I seem to remember seeing a video where he commented that Twisted Twins, at least, would be opening a year after the park, not with it. Figuring on that, and not being ANYTHING NEAR an expert, I would imagine someone like RMC, GCI, or GG could probably get Thunder Run completely refreshed in 3-4 months (it's only 2,850 ft of track). Outside of that, it could all be done in 3 months, it's just a question of whether or not Ed Hart wants to drop the kind of money it would take to get the manpower to do it that quickly.

Twisted Twins might be opening later because Six Flags already deemed them expendable, so if they weren't needed then (and the attendance drop off wasn't that major), maybe they run without them and try to replace them. They are that metal supported wood that seems to age like garbage, and I remember them being horrible last time I rode them. Why not see if you can do without, and then open with something different the following year?

Beyond that, and not claiming myself to be an expert, but knowing some sort of similar workings, if you get a property like this, you're paying for it whether it is open or not. Security, upkeep, if it takes you 12 months to pull all the weeds, you're going to get a lot more weeds, etc. Any business that is growing or re-opening needs to balance those costs (of how much being slower would take) versus the cost of going quicker. While bringing in teams to work 24/7 would be extremely costly and probably stupid, bringing in a decent sized staff, you could get it done pretty darn quickly. I would guess the park would want maybe 4-5 months to ramp up a full time maintenance staff so they are prepared to deal with the ride issues immediately because they are very familiar with it, but beyond that, none of the other stuff that needs to be done (excepting full ride refurbishments / replacements) would need to take place longer than a month or two if they are willing to do it.

My uncle is a painter with a small crew of three other guys. They were hired to paint a 100,000 square foot warehouse top to bottom with paint (walls, ceiling, beams), including being up on manlifts a lot. There was tons of details. The four man crew finished it (working overtime) in under five days.

If this park does open, it will be like a small park. Most riders and amusement aprk flyers seem to forget that all major theme parks began their lives as a small park. When Kings Dominion first opened up in 1974, the only three attractions they had at the time were the Monorail for their African Safari, the Scooby Doo Roller Ghoster, and a center to display the upcoming attractions in 1975. Today, Kings Dominion got more rides than you can shake a stick at. In other words, for Kentucky Kingdom to get back to the park it once was will take many seasons and a lot of $$$!

One way for this park to grow up will be tons of visitors coming into its park year after year. I still wish Ed Hart to best of luck to get this park off the ground and back onto its feet again.

BY the way, Midgetman82, many thanks for the pictures showing that the Roller Skater is still standing. All they need to do is clear away the weeds, grease up the wheels, repaint the track, run some tests, and it'll be all systems go!

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

The Saga Continues....

Metro Council approves financial support for Kentucky Kingdom

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The effort to bring back Kentucky Kingdom takes a big step forward as city leaders approve a plan that gives it public financing.

The ordinance passed almost unanimously during Thursday's Metro Council meeting. Only one member abstained from the vote.

The city will pay $100,000 in financial support for Kentucky Kingdom as long as the park meets specific, yearly job targets - including creating more than 700 jobs within three years of opening.

"This is bringing back a lot of summer jobs, as well as permanent jobs, and will help the local economy in terms of the conventions as well," said Councilwoman Marianne Butler.

The ordinance requires annual reporting to the council to show the park meets those requirements.

But Councilman Dan Johnson says job creation is not the only reason to support the reopening of the park.

"It's not for us -- it's for our children to enjoy. It will be our children who will be working there. It will be a great thing that we've been missing for years and it needs to be brought back soon, and we certainly have the right person to bring it back. And it's coming next Memorial Day and I can't be more proud," Johnson said.

The park closed in 2009 when Six Flags backed out of renewing the lease.

Developer Ed Hart plans to reopen the park in May 2014.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved."

Great news! I've been following up on news about the park since Ed Hart originally wanted to reopen the park. I really hope that Ed Hart brings the park back to the way it was before Six Flags took over. Though I've never been there it seemed like a cool little park.

^I have to agree that it's great news, plus knowing that I won't GET BURNT AGAIN by promises that they'll open a park and either have it fail again or not even opened on time.

Come On, Ed Hart; all the riders and amusement park flyers are counting on you to get Kentucky Kingdom open and running again. I'm sure there will be tons of kiddies that want to ride THE ROLLER SKATER!!![/color]

"WE WANNA RIDE, WE WANNA RIDE!!!

I'm still waiting for the bank to approve the whole loan. Nine more days to see if Hart comes through. I'm thinking something scaled back or another delay. If it is a delay, this park is toast for next year and probably fore ever.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22694922/kentucky-kingdom-confirms-it-has-secured-financing

Kentucky Kingdom confirms it has secured financing

Posted: Jun 26, 2013 2:38 PM EDT

Updated: Jun 26, 2013 2:50 PM EDT

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- Ed Hart and his business partners say they've secured the private funding needed to reopen Kentucky Kingdom.

It will spend $43.5 million to get the park up and running. Part of that will include refurbishing rides and buildings that have deteriorated since the park closed in 2009.

The goal is to reopen it in May of next year. The group will talk about those plans on Thursday after the monthly meeting of the Kentucky State Fair Board, which is considering the plan.

"Kentucky Kingdom has been closed for four long years," Hart said in a news release. "My partners and I are proud to announce our plans to spend $43.5 million to return the park to its former position as Kentucky's number one paid tourist attraction."

Of the $43.5 million, $36 million will be spent in the first year, and $7.5 million in the second and third years as the park "ramps up to its full potential."

Kentucky Kingdom is expected to open in May of next year.

Copyright 2013 WDRB News. All rights reserved.

Someone posted this on the park's Facebook Page: Linky to FB Page

Just a update...

I was on my way home from work on Taylor Blvd and passed three trucks with cranes on them. The truck in the middle had a huge brand new sign that said "Kentucky Kingdom - Hurricane Bay Waterpark"

Others mentioned people hammering away on Thunder Run.