TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Even if Hart does re-open the park, don't you guys think it will be hard to keep it over the years? He's investing in a lot to re-open the park, and to install a new roller coaster which I'm guessing would possibly replace Chang. Over the years, he will still need a lot of money to keep the park operating well. Do you think that the park will be as good as it was when it was still a tourist attraction?, or will it go back to the way it was from 2006-2009?

Even if Hart does re-open the park, don't you guys think it will be hard to keep it over the years? He's investing in a lot to re-open the park, and to install a new roller coaster which I'm guessing would possibly replace Chang. Over the years, he will still need a lot of money to keep the park operating well. Do you think that the park will be as good as it was when it was still a tourist attraction?, or will it go back to the way it was from 2006-2009?

Did he have any problems with Magic Springs?

Also, Ed Hart's investment group includes very wealthy BIG TIME people. One of the investors was willing to put up 20 million (I believe that's the correct amount) before the first deal with the fairboard had came to a failed with Mr. Hart.

Even if it goes back to the way it was in the last few years, it really wouldn't be THAT bad. I went in 2009, and with the exception of Twisted Twins being infuriatingly SBNO, I had a great time at the park. The coaster selection is pretty good and Deluge is excellent, but the lack of people was very evident in '09.

I do think Ed Hart has a good plan though, add to the waterpark and a new Chang replacement. However, with the waterpark taking up Chang's spot, I'm not sure where the new coaster could go. Honestly, I'm wondering if any of the coasters are still operable, as the woodies and Greezed Lightnin' can't have held up well. That would make T2 and Roller Skater the only remaining coasters. Yikes. I'd also like to add that a replacement for the drop tower would be highly appreciated. It's spot was well-camoflaged when I went, but it was obvious there was a space there, and it's right at the park entrance.

On NewsPlusNotes, I heard that they are keeping the two Woodies, having a lot of money spent on Renovating the Greezed Lightnin, Building an B&M Floorless Dive, & an Family Wooden Coaster like Wooden Warrior, sincerely I hope this park will reopen, not like Circus World/Boardwalk And Baseball!

I do think Ed Hart has a good plan though, add to the waterpark and a new Chang replacement. However, with the waterpark taking up Chang's spot, I'm not sure where the new coaster could go.

If they don't want to use Chang's old spot for the water-park, I don't think they have to. I looked on Google maps the other day, and it seems Chang's footers are still there today. Nothing for the water park expansion was ever built, and the spot can be still used for a new coaster if they want. I would also like to see a Tower of Power replacement, they could possibly put a ride similar to SkyScreamer there.

I really want this park to re-open, it seemed like an awesome little park. Hart really loves that place. If they do re-open it, I will make sure I visit the park. It would be really cool if they added a B&M dive machine, that would bring life back to the park. As much as I would to see this park re-open, sometimes I just lose hope, because this has been going on since 2010. If they really try hard enough, they can make it as good as Dollywood IMO. SF looks like they did a decent job with KK too, to me it looks like the fair board was being a dick.

Edited by ArundelHigh Coasters

As a matter of fact, I'm in Houston being frickin screwed over Earthquest for nothing!

That sucks . IMO, SFKK didn't really seem like they sucked in 09', it just seemed like it wasn't living to it's full potential. Even though the former signature coaster at the park was planned to be removed for a waterpark expansion, there was probably a good reason behind it. Maybe Kentuckyer's are more fond of water parks than roller coasters. Maybe SF was going to add a newer coaster in a different location in the future. SFI wouldn't do something that would be bad for business. Sure, if everyone was enthusiast, then they would be pretty screwed, but with most of the world being GP, they probably made the decision based on that.

I do think Ed Hart has a good plan though, add to the waterpark and a new Chang replacement. However, with the waterpark taking up Chang's spot, I'm not sure where the new coaster could go. Honestly, I'm wondering if any of the coasters are still operable, as the woodies and Greezed Lightnin' can't have held up well. That would make T2 and Roller Skater the only remaining coasters. Yikes. I'd also like to add that a replacement for the drop tower would be highly appreciated. It's spot was well-camoflaged when I went, but it was obvious there was a space there, and it's right at the park entrance.

Chang''s replacement will go in the sport of the Thrill Karts (Go Carts).

I do think Ed Hart has a good plan though, add to the waterpark and a new Chang replacement. However, with the waterpark taking up Chang's spot, I'm not sure where the new coaster could go.

If they don't want to use Chang's old spot for the water-park, I don't think they have to. I looked on Google maps the other day, and it seems Chang's footers are still there today. Nothing for the water park expansion was ever built, and the spot can be still used for a new coaster if they want. I would also like to see a Tower of Power replacement, they could possibly put a ride similar to SkyScreamer there.

I really want this park to re-open, it seemed like an awesome little park. Hart really loves that place. If they do re-open it, I will make sure I visit the park. It would be really cool if they added a B&M dive machine, that would bring life back to the park. As much as I would to see this park re-open, sometimes I just lose hope, because this has been going on since 2010. If they really try hard enough, they can make it as good as Dollywood IMO. SF looks like they did a decent job with KK too, to me it looks like the fair board was being a dick.

The fair board definitely does deserve a share of the blame; however, Six Flags did not do a decent job. Yes, the dynamics of economies will effect attendance, but Six Flags record was removing one attraction after another and added very little. On top of this, the incident with the girl's feet being severed S:TOP was clearly poor management. They also didn't keep the rides in the best of shape. Hart also deserves some of the blame being that some of his selections were duds. Holiday World has managed to have 3 high ranking rollercoasters on the poll lists, KK hasn't had one. Hopefully, he has learned from those mistakes and will be successful should this go through.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2013/01/22/fair-board-to-consider-kentucky.html?page=all

At its regular monthly meeting Thursday, the Kentucky State Fair Board — as has been widely speculated — will address the future of the shuttered Kentucky Kingdom amusement park.

An advisory released Tuesday evening by the board said it will consider a resolution to approve a lease agreement with Kentucky Kingdom LLLP.

The Kentucky Secretary of State’s Web site lists the principal office of Kentucky Kingdom LLLP as 1401 Bardstown Road, the same address used for other business entities associated with Louisville businessman Ed Hart.

Hart is the former Kentucky Kingdom owner and operator who has been trying for nearly three years to reach a deal to operate the park.

Kentucky Kingdom, located at the state-owned Kentucky Exposition Center, has been closed since 2009 and didn’t reopen after former owner Six Flags Inc. abandoned its lease amid bankruptcy proceedings.

In a statement released Tuesday night, Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear endorsed an agreement with Hart.

"If it is approved, this lease agreement is a fair deal for both the operators and for Kentucky taxpayers," he said. "It protects the state's investments without putting taxpayers on the hook for private debt and accelerates the park’s opening. After the vote, all that remains is for the investors to secure the final private funding, and then the countdown begins to the long-awaited opening day."

The fair board also will consider a settlement with another Hart-led entity, Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment Co. LLC.

Hart and Kentucky Kingdom Redevelopment tried unsuccessfully to reach a deal with the fair board to run the amusement park.

He later sued the fair board to try to recover $1.4 million he said he spent in the failed bid.

Hart’s latest proposal calls for a $120 million investment that would allow Kentucky Kingdom to reopen in 2014.

His partners in the venture are Bruce Lunsford, his partner in Hart-Lunsford Pictures LLC; Ed Glasscock, chairman emeritus of Frost Brown Todd LLC law firm; and Mary Moseley, president of Al J. Schneider Co.

The Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau and Louisville-Jefferson County Metro Government both have approved incentives packages for Hart’s group if he is able to reopen the amusement park.

^^Also, since we know that the Twins and Greezed Lightnin' aren't doing very well, and Thunder Run might not as well, the only coasters that might be opened would be the two Vekomas.

Ed Hart is opening just about everything. He's going to reopen Twisted Twins. Greezed Lighting is long gone though. It may be gone in 3 to 4 weeks.