TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Greezed Lighting does have problems. I worked at the park its last summer and Greezed Lighting had the most downtime in it's rides history at Kentucky Kingdom. However, the ride is one of the few remaining in the world and it's also in the best condition than other shuttles around the world.

I'm Sure starting in April Twisted Twins will be the first ride to start being refurbished.

Can any of you imagine the flags that will go on top of Thunder Run as well as Twisted Twins just like Holiday World Coasters? It's still hard to believe this is happening.

It feels wrong for me to question this, but did they even announce that they were going to open the entire park? For all we know, they clean the park this year, open the park the next, then fix TT and Mile High Falls afterwards. $20 mil is a lot of money, but how much of it is going into caring for a coaster that has had weeds growing up it since 2008?

(If this sounds stupid in any way, then it is because I have no sense in how much $20 million can cover in an amusement park.)

^Who knows what their plans are at this point. We haven't had many success stories lately with reopening parks, but if anyone can pull it off, it's the Koch family! I don't care what they do as long as they bring back Starchaser and The Squid.

Just look at Legoland, they took a closed run down park with a bad rep, reopened it with a new look, new standards and it has been a success so far. If anyone can do that with KK its the Kochs.

This is great news! I'm happy that the park will be re-born.

But I can't help but feel that the $15-20 million figure is rather low... Given how the park has sat idle, I feel like it's going to be pretty costly just getting things back to an operational status. I don't feel like that will leave much cash for anything new (which seems like a bummer considering how SF gutted the place).

^They still have 25+ rides to work with, and I'm betting most of the additions they make up front will be to expand the waterpark. That's the money maker for Holiday World, and supposedly was for SFKK too.

25+ rides that all need a few years worth of maintenance to be caught up and allowed to open! That's at least a few million dollars right there.

Can any of you imagine the flags that will go on top of Thunder Run as well as Twisted Twins just like Holiday World Coasters? It's still hard to believe this is happening.

I'm pretty sure Thunder Run already had flags.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Thunder Run reopen. It has the potential to be a great ride.

What great news! I'm probably one of the few people who were fans of both SFKK and bluegrass music, so this makes me very happy. It was a shame to see such a decently run Six Flags park suffer the fate SFKK did. I've never been to Holiday World, but their management seems to be one of the best in the industry. I wish this park the best.

15 to 20 million really does seem like not much, especially if the want to put in an adequate replacement for Chang.

However, weren't there rumors that HW is supposed to get a new major ride in the not too distant future?

If that was the case, they could do a package deal and get both parks a nice coaster at an affordable price.

Looking forward to the park reopening!

I'd like to see the footbridge over Circle of Champions replaced with a much wider, more people-friendly wooden foot bridge. Something like "boardwalk" might help their theme too. This is actually really exciting, because there is LOADS of potential at this park, just interesting to see what they're take will be.

^They still have 25+ rides to work with, and I'm betting most of the additions they make up front will be to expand the waterpark. That's the money maker for Holiday World, and supposedly was for SFKK too.

Hmm..... looking at the satellite view, Chang's old location would make a great location for a water park expansion. It's right next to the rest of the water park area, and lots of land.

^They also have the option to expand the waterpark into the go-kart area.

I think that's what will happen. I agree with everything stated above. Unlike...

The one positive out of this is it's creating jobs. Otherwise, it just seems to be a bottomless money pit. Hopefully it works out for them.

Not trying to "troll". I just don't understand why there are some enthusiasts that think they know more than the people who:

1) run a VERY successful park in the region already.

2) have put together funding outside of, and in addition to Holiday World's.

3) have secured city/state tax breaks.

4) have surely thoroughly researched the opportunity prior to approaching the Fair Board.

Holiday World is not purchasing this park. They've created a separate company, Bluegrass Boardwalk Inc., to enter into an agreement with the Fair Board to operate it. Bluegrass pays the lease to run the place, and make money. They may share profits - we don't know the details of the agreement. One thing for sure, there looks to be relatively little risk involved.

That's especially the case when you consider all of the new business opportunities. Look for a much improved resale program. I would expect to see a combined season pass and two-day flex tickets between Bluegrass and Holiday World.

Even if it does not pan out for Bluegrass Boardwalk Inc., that small company folds up. Holiday World remains unscathed, having lost maybe a small investment.