TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't mind the name change. Bluegrass Boardwalk isn't a bad name, even though I don't recollect Louisville having any actual boardwalks..

If they do take over the park, and if they make season passes available for both Holiday World and "Bluegrass Boardwalk," I'm gonna flip!

I love the name, and still think if done right this place can be a real success.

I'd love to see the "new" park somehow pay homage to the old Fountain Ferry Park that once existed in Louisville. Most guests probably wouldn't make the connection but could be a nice little historical touch.

That has a nice ring to it, and I think "Boardwalk" is such a classic term to incorporate into park names. I agree that it would be nice to add a real boardwalk somewhere in the park (I'm assuming there is none), since I find it a bit odd that Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, as far as I know, is all concrete...

I know people can be very protective of names, in some cases refusing to switch over to new ones, but doesn't Kentucky Kingdom have a bad reputation to shed? I'd think a name change could help with that.

Looks like this is flying along, I just hope the fair board doesn't mess this up too. Good luck to the Kochs!

Koch family reaches tentative deal to run Kentucky Kingdom

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- It appears a deal for the owners of Holiday World to run Kentucky Kingdom could be done this week. WDRB has confirmed that The Kentucky Fair Board has reached a tentative deal with the Koch family to run the park.

The Fair Board is expected to vote on the lease agreement at its meeting this Thursday.

Two weeks ago, the Kochs announced that they had formed a new company called Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc, with the goal of negotiating an agreement to operate Kentucky Kingdom. They've also indicated they may change the park's name to Bluegrass Boardwalk.

The Kochs plan to open the park next year.

Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. has sent us a press release regarding Thursday's upcoming Fair Board meeting and the Koch Family presence there.

Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. hopes to take another step toward re-opening Louisville’s amusement and water park in 2013 as the Kentucky State Fair Board considers a proposed lease agreement Thursday afternoon.

Four members of the Koch* family in Santa Claus, Indiana, have formed a new company – Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated – to negotiate the lease agreement with the Kentucky State Fair Board, secure financing, and apply for economic development incentives from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. No public monies will be requested from the Kentucky Legislature by Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated.

The members of the Koch family involved in discussions with the Kentucky State Fair Board as Bluegrass Boardwalk, Incorporated are Holiday World president Dan Koch, his sister Natalie Koch, their cousin Kathy Kamp, and her husband, Michael Kamp, who is a General Manager at Holiday World. Dan, Natalie and Kathy are grandchildren of Holiday World’s founder, Louis J. Koch, who opened the park (originally called Santa Claus Land) in 1946.

Following Thursday’s Fair Board meeting, Dan Koch will be on hand to speak briefly with members of the news media in front of Freedom Hall at the Kentucky Exposition Center.

As updates about Bluegrass Boardwalk are made public, information will be posted online at http://BluegrassBoardwalk.com, on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/BluegrassBoardwalk and via Twitter: @BluegrassBwalk.

According to Bluegrass Boardwalk's Facebook, they will be tweeting from the meeting with the fair board which is about to begin, and in case you're interested you can follow along: http://twitter.com/BluegrassBwalk . BB is last on the board's agenda, so it might be a while before we see much twitter activity.

This was just tweeted!

Bluegrass Boardwalk @BluegrassBwalk

New name: Bluegrass Boardwalk! Open in 15 months. Jobs: 25 full-time and 800 seasonal. #BB2013

More!

Safety is #1. Pretty, happy park will open May 2013. Dan is quoting his late brother Will: need to create a quality experience. #BB2013

"We'll bring our @HolidayWorld culture to @BluegrassBwalk. Safety. Service. Friendliness. Cleanliness. Value." #BB2013

Free soft drinks at @BluegrassBwalk ... free sunscreen ... free use of inner tubes. #BB2013

"We're here to serve our Guests. They're most important This is going to become a gem. We're going to do this the right way." #BB2013

We have a lease!

https://twitter.com/#!/BluegrassBwalk

Edited by kidcoaster 2

Bluegrass Boardwalk has sent us a press release confirming the approval of their lease for the former Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom property. Under their new management, the park is set to reopen May of 2013!

Lease Approval moves Bluegrass Boardwalk closer to re-opening Louisville park in 2013

800 seasonal and 25 full-time jobs projected

This afternoon’s unanimous vote by the Kentucky State Fair Board to approve a lease with Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. moves the reopening of the 57-acre amusement and water park closer to reality.

“We can’t wait to get started!” says Bluegrass Boardwalk’s Dan Koch*. “We’ve got a lot of work to do to get the park reopened in just 15 months, but we’ll get it done. We’d like to thank the Fair Board for putting their faith in us and the community at large for their tremendous cheers of support.”

Following today’s lease approval, Bluegrass Boardwalk's next steps are to secure financing and continue the application process for economic development incentives from Kentucky’s Tourism Cabinet. Bluegrass Boardwalk will not request public monies from the Kentucky Legislature.

Bluegrass Boardwalk’s plans are to invest $15-$20 million to reopen the park in May of 2013, with continued investment in future years.

“We’re bringing our business model of exceptional safety, cleanliness, friendliness and value for families,” says Natalie Koch. “That means free soft drinks, free sunscreen and free use of inner tubes.”

Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. is a partnership of four members of the Koch family in Santa Claus, Indiana: Holiday World president Dan Koch, his sister Natalie Koch, their cousin Kathy Kamp, and her husband, Michael Kamp, who is a General Manager at Holiday World. Dan, Natalie and Kathy are grandchildren of Holiday World’s founder, Louis J. Koch, who opened the park (originally called Santa Claus Land) in 1946.

Bluegrass Boardwalk updates will be posted online at http://BluegrassBoardwalk.com, on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/BluegrassBoardwalk and via Twitter: @BluegrassBwalk.

6837396591_621c0ebbb9_z.jpg.08cd844ea086db4dd496f4d8eb276100.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

This was just tweeted!

We have a lease!

https://twitter.com/#!/BluegrassBwalk

Also:

"Thanks to the Fair Board. Professional. And you drive a hard bargain."

Very interesting step for the Koch family - hopefully they manage to pull this expansion of their business off in flying colors!

(also hoping this doesn't distract/detract from capital plans and quality at Holiday World)

It will be interesting to see what happens with some of the existing attractions especially Twisted Twins. I know the trains are no longer on site and honestly it wasn't that great of a coaster when it was in operation. That section of the park also seems like an area that would be perfect for an expansion and complete overhaul.

I'd love to see the water park expanded to possibly include the old Blizzard River and maybe even Mile High Falls as rides the could be possible be wet/dry water park/amusement park rides.

Can't want to see this thing develop.

Here's another article from a local news station:

Koch family approved to take over Kentucky Kingdom

LOUISVILLE, KY. (WDRB) -- "A wonderful partnership that we are super excited about." That was Holiday World President Dan Koch's reaction to the Kentucky State Fair Board's decision to allow the family behind the successful Holiday World amusement park to take over Kentucky Kingdom.

The State Fair Board made that decision in a vote Thursday afternoon.

Koch says the park will be renamed Bluegrass Boardwalk and will be considered a "sister park" to Holiday World. He also promised it would open in May of 2013. "We're going to bring to Louisville the culture and guest experience" people have at Holiday World, he said. "We bring with us a core value of understanding families," he added.

Koch says the park will bring 800 seasonal jobs and a number of full-time jobs to the community. He also emphasized the hard work it will take to get the park ready for next year's opening, saying painters and carpenters have to get busy, and that workers are going to start work on the rides and make them safe.

Koch says, "We're going to make that park shine out there," and adds it will be something that Louisville "will be proud of."

The Koch family has already secured a website and a Facebook page under the Bluegrass Boardwalk name showing children's rides and scenes from a waterpark.

Koch family members have said they will apply for state tax incentives to help with financing, but won't ask lawmakers directly for money. Those incentives could include tax breaks to recover one-fourth of the Koch family's costs over ten years and allow a rebate of state sales taxes.

Earlier this week, Mayor Greg Fischer said as part of the deal the city won't receive a payroll tax, but he approves of that, saying, "Well, if that's what it takes to help them get it open, we do that for different deals from time to time that create jobs and help the community. So our goal is to keep this open and get people employed and get our community enjoying it."

www.wdrb.com/story/17003266/koch-family-approved-to-take-over-kentucky-kingdom