TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Entertaining, funny ride ops.

For teacups...

There was a time where Jungle Cruise skippers could add in (appropriate) jokes to the ride as long as you still mainly kept to the script. Nowadays things are a lot more strict as the public can be offended way too easily by even the slightest "grown-up" joke that would in most cases, fly right over a kid's head. During training, new skippers make their own scripts and have their jokes approved by a supervisor. Completely new jokes are NOT allowed but variations on the existing script are certainly welcomed. Many of my friends are jungle cruise skippers and I give them a lot of credit considering they drive a boat while performing their spiel and keeping everyone safe for 8 hours at a time.

The people that work the jungle cruise WANT to be at the jungle cruise. You either have it in you or you don't to be funny all day while performing your duties. I had the opportunity to learn Jungle Cruise as my second attraction but I made it a point to learn Indiana Jones Adventure as soon as possible, mainly because I prefer to work dispatch-type attractions. I couldn't see myself doing it and I feel much more comfortable at Indiana Jones Adventure and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. With that being said... If you're ever at either of those two attractions (or even my rare appearance as a conductor on the railroad...) you're guaranteed to get themed phrasing with every dispatch. I pride myself as keeping the show as alive as possible.

If you ever want to meet a really entertaing ride op (cast member) track down Maynard. He's easily one of the popular CM's and he knows many attractions on the west side of the park. This guy is hilarious and just a great guy. He even has fan pages! Sadly I haven't seen him around recently. Could be just that he doesn't work Thunder or Indy anymore.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a load of fun when running my rides. Here's a few experiences:

La Revolucion: I worked Halloween last year, and there is a little pathway between the turnstile and the end of the queue. This pathway lines the erimeter fence to the ride, and has a rail on the otherside. I would sneak as far around the corner as possible, and then jump onto the rail, jump off against the fence, creating a loud bang, and then land a couple inches from the guest. Bonus points for someone having their back to me when I did it.

Silver Bullet: There are 2 "fat" seats on the ride. They are identifiable by having 2 seatbelts instead of 1. Whenever a guest asks me why they have 2 seatbelts, I just look at them, and go, "Your special" in the sappiest voice I can muster

The most memorable for me was at Speed: The Ride at Las Vegas.

The ride ops did the safety spiel but didn't launch the train yet due to some mechanical issues. After they got it back up and running, they did the safety spiel again. "Please keep your arms inside the car at all times, and make sure loose items..." *LAUNCH*

It was hilarious because people seemed so worried about being stuck on the launch for so long, and they were so focused on the safety spiel because of that. The expressions on everyone's faces was priceless.

I remember when "The Great Movie Ride" had allowed ride operators to change the script, a great funny ride, they interacted with the guests, talked, joked, and such. I remember one when I was young I was staring at the bad guy and he yelled "WATCHA LOOKIN' AT PUNK!?!?"

All in good fun though

• 2 weeks later...
Silver Bullet: There are 2 "fat" seats on the ride. They are identifiable by having 2 seatbelts instead of 1.

I've never noticed that. Which train has them?

My favorite and also scary ride op. experience was on the dragon swing at KBF. The ride op. acted REALLY gay and on the ride I yelled "We're off to Neverland" in the ride op.'s voice. The op. then said "Heard that!" When we got off he was eying me and my friend all creepily. He made that ride pretty unforgettable.

I was at Knott's on Friday, and some ride operator made this really freaky Jaguar voice in the line for Jaguar, it was especially freaky because the first time he did it, my friend and I were walking in the dark corridors of the queue and it was really freaking loud. The Silver Bullet ride ops always seem to be having fun too

^Yeah. The ride op.'s for XLR8R and Silver Bullet are always having fun. An op. on XLR8R made fun of a girl that I was sitting next to from my church's shirt (a Whittier High School softball jersey) and they were arguing over if La Habra High or Whittier High was better. My friend lost... It was pretty entertaining though!

• 1 month later...

I was at DCA yesterday on Maliboomer, we were getting ready to launch, then the ride op said,

"Hold on we've seemed to encounter an air leak." A second later it blasted off. I found it pretty funny, although sadly, me being a nerd and everything made me know that the "air leak" sound was routine...but it must have freaked the crap out of the other people haha

My best friend is a supervisor on Flight of Fear at KD, and this wasn't as much entertaining, but still funny nonetheless. He grinned at me, and I shoulda known him being the joker he is would do something to me. He said "HEY BUDDY!!" then clicked my restraint down twice (thus stapling me to an insane amount) "Enjoy your ride!"

The ride ops on Gemini at Cedar Point were hilarious and made the wait go by so much faster....one of my favorite lines was "Enjoy your ride on Top Thrill Millenium Gemini XL-200 Wicked Streak!" and "You're about to ride the tallest, fastest, and steepest coaster in the world...in 1917" (or he might have said 1970, I couldn't hear very well)

At Walt Disney World a week ago, it was near close at the Magic Kingdom on a night the extended hours. We hit the Haunted Mansion and walked to the que. We were given one of the red ticket deals for checking the line que time.

Once in the stretch room, we asked who to give it to. The ride op proceeded to tell us "give it to the person who lowers your lap bar" and gave us a evil smile.

After that gem, he then proceeded to pace the room faster and faster. Once the lights we out, he stood by a British woman in her 50's and once the lights came on he just said "helllloo" by her, creating a loud scream. Just made our night better.

I was at Knott's on Friday, and some ride operator made this really freaky Jaguar voice in the line for Jaguar, it was especially freaky because the first time he did it, my friend and I were walking in the dark corridors of the queue and it was really freaking loud. The Silver Bullet ride ops always seem to be having fun too

Yeah, when I went to KBF I noticed that many of the ops were having a great time, I didn't think they were as rude as R&E had always said (though I might have caught the park on a good day).

The only problem is a lot of the microphones in the ride stations at KBF on my visit were turned up really loud! When they dispatch the train, for example, they say "All clear, enjoy your ride on Ghostrider." Only in the station it comes out "(distorted) ALL CLEAR (mic feedback) ENJOY YOUR RIDE ON GHOSTRIDER."

• 3 weeks later...

When I was waiting for The Beast at KI last summer, the ride op said all these amusing things. For example, they said that in one of the tunnels, there was a hose and it became the first ever underwater coaster and they didn't use all the trains because one of them sunk. After that story, they said something like, "clap your hands if you know that was a lie." Whenever a train was dispatched, the op said it's "launching out of the station at 2 mph." All this made up for the extremely slow wait (this was at night).

This crazy ride op on Nemesis kept jumping out on the people on the front of the train when the train was coming into the station. Also as people were walking into the loading bays he would say hello to everyone and then to random people would just shout hello right in their faces, priceless .

The crew on Volcano last sunday were very entertaining. They were about 4 of them having Conversations over the mic. And when one made a joke to those boarding you would hear another go. "Your a funny guy ain't you" " Funnier than you" " You wish your from Queens so be quiet" Basicly just having fun with each other.

Also the crew on the Big Bad Wolf Saturday was cool too. One over heard me and my friends talking about them auctioning off the last seat he responds "Oh they think they will have the last ride when everyone knows we are going to have the last ride"