TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Entertaining, funny ride ops.

I'm sure we are full aware that there are many ride operators who bluntly don't take their job seriously. We even have a thread to talk about all the stupid things ride operators do and the bad experiences we have had with them.

However, I thought I'd start this thread. I didn't see anything like it. So I just wanted to know what are some funny things, entertaining things you've seen ride ops do that made your experience an enjoyable one?

I can't recall what ride I was on, this was a while back (I was at Knotts Berry Farm). The ride op would use the loudspeaker to kinda engage the riders. He'd say things like "don't be scurred (scared)!", step up to the plate." Overall he had a good voice for what he was doing and I guess it helped build up anticipation prior to riding.

What are some of your good experiences with ride ops, if at all?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt, the guys at the bumper cars in Knoebels. I find them hilarious; I'm sure they can't say the same LOL.

Anyone who knows what I'm talking about will know that these guys (or guy, never sure if it's the same one...sometimes i swear it is) are hilarious. All's you have to do are two things; either go the wrong way or get out of your car while it's still moving -- they'll flip out LOL. The one time a kid started going the wrong way. I wasn't sure if it was intentional but the ride op got really mad and stopped the cars and yelled, "HEY!!" It was just too funny; I could not stop laughing lol.

There's 1 or 2 simply amazing cast members at TOT in CA. My favorite being one who pointed out the "ejector" seats in the front row on each end to the kids sitting in them. And then told the kids "this is not the scariest ride in Disneyland, I'll give you hint it takes 15-30 minutes to get through, its a boat ride, and its not pirates or splash mountain" Then sent the elevator.

Everytime I ride Stealth with my friend operating, he uses the microphone for the pre launch talk rather than the pre-recorded spiel, really good fun, especially when riding with first time riders and he purposefully launches the train before finishing the speech, good times

Apart from that, just any operator that takes their role at a Theme Park seriously and creates a good fun atmosphere, after all, isn't that what going to a Theme Park is all about?!

The ride ops at Dueling Dragons seem to like having a bit of fun. They sometimes say random things out of nowhere, and I remember the time that DD was stopped because of weather. After some of the lightning and thunder calmed down a bit, this one guy in line said "Why can't we get on the ride now?" So the ride op replied with something like "Well, it's 125 feet tall, made of steel, and there's lightning outside. You can try it if you'd like, I won't tell anyone." Of course, it was a joke, and I had to laugh.

Then there's these two ops for Behemoth at Canada's wonderland. One had his arm around the other guy's shoulders, and he was singing to him as the train was leaving the station.

Last one I can think of are the ops for Jaws. True, the ride is suppose to be serious, but they always throw in some fun here and there, especially at the end of the ride.

The guy operating Kentucky Rumbler during our ERT on the Midwest Trip a few years ago. Not the GCI guy, I have a pic of the guy but its not on my laptop.

Anyway, he riled up the line and trains with coaster trivia like "Kentucky Rumbler goes 100 mph," and the like. He was really enthusiastic and seemed to fire up the crowd late into the night.

I was pretty suprised a few years ago during Fright Fest at SFA. It was late and my friend and I had Mind Eraser all to our selves. The rides Ops weren't being lazy or anything, and they were pretty humerous.

I had a great experience on the flyers at KD last year where the guy running the ride was simply awesome - you could tell he really got into his job!

Another was the ride crew on El Toro a couple of weeks ago. They were allowing re-rides because there was no line and were also trying to break a record for dispatches. You could see they were having a great time (and they were doing it safely), although I think they were pissed when an overweight guy could not get his restraint to lock and he had to do the walk of shame. Probably cost the crew three cycles!

I also agree with Wicked Twister. They always seem to have a great crew working that ride that likes to catch riders off guard at the time of launch.

The people on Xcelerator are really good. They do different things till launch. One of my favorites is " Spaceballs ready? 1,2,3 Ludicrous speed!!" or " Remember no loose articles can be brought on board, keep your head back hold on and good bye." I like the people on Tatsu also. At WCB They said " Enjoy your ride on Tats-oo-oo" And these people were going oo-oo throughout the whole ride.

The guy on the mic when we had ERT on Behemoth was great.

Also, when I was at Dollywood, there was a girl MCing Thunderhead that was just perfect. She was very funny with her Tennessee drawl saying things like, "Please fasten your seatbelts cause we don't want anymore people flying out of the train today. Do not try to get out and run along side the train while it's moving. You will not be able to keep up."

The ride ops on Judge Roy Scream at SFOT when I went in March. They said something like "Enjoy your ride on Judge Roy Scream! Order in the court!" when they dispatched the train.

I wonder if I'll ever see ride ops making the whole loading procedure into something simular to a dance routine (but yet still doing everything properly and safely). I guess I'd call this "Flair train loading"? "Freestyle ride operating"? Or just "showmanship"?

If anyone ever catches a video of that or something, send it to me so I can enjoy too.

I was at SF White Water that is outside of Atlanta last summer, and some of the guys that pushes your raft at the top of the chutes would splash water on the rafts leaving or fling water onto the people waiting in line (if you were waiting on stairs).

one would look at the line, yell out "What are you looking at?" and fling water on them. Made for an interesting wait in line

My favorite would be from Joker's Jinx at SFA when the op countdowns the launch. He would say 5..4...3 LAUNCH!! And then after the ride launches he would say WHOOPS!

Another crew would be from Fahrenheit last time I was at Hershey. They were joking and playing around but getting the job done at the same time.

Does the ride ops for The Jungle Cruise at WDW & DL count? They are usually very funny and are the only reason why I would go on the ride.

I heard that they have a script, does anybody know if this is true?

They do, but they are also allowed to make up their own jokes. However, they must be approved.

Can we nominate ourselves? I always make it a point to have as much fun with my job and the customers as I can while remaining safe and serious. Some examples were from today when I got to work the Pepsi Python (our Galaxi-ish credit). I would speil about it being the biggest, fastest, and only steel (and wood) coaster at Coney Island. I also did all kinds of stuff like making people try to reach for the dispatch button as I walked back to the other one (there are 2 in the station), insisting that KI got the idea for Diamondback from the ride, and eventually rallying guests to officially change the ride's name to "Space Walrus." And thats just to name a few small things I did.

Aside from myself, I think the best ride op I've seen was the Wicked Twister op who kept doing things like countdown launches (Launch in 3...2*launch*.....1*train goes flying back through station*) and all sorts of other stuff.

I was at Carowinds last week and most of the operators were pretty enthusiastic.

It was great when one of the operators on Southern Star (Intamin looping ship) was like "You can pull down your restraints, but only if it's orange" - there are only yellow restraints on the ride lol!