TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Entertaining, funny ride ops.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the Ride Operators that I manage have really taken funny guest interactions to a new level this year.

One of my favorites is my one coaster operator will ask riders instead of, "I just have one question for you.........Who's ready to ride!?" he will ask questions like "I have just one question for you..........Edward or Jacob?!" or "Bacon or Sausage?"

As long as no one's safety is compromised, I encourage funny and entertaining ride operators as guests are more likely to listen to someone who is happy and inviting as opposed to monotone and boring.

People always complain about the ride ops at SFOT, but they were really fun and entertaining most of the time despite not being very efficient.

I haven't made it up to SFOT yet but I've heard nothing but negative things about the ride ops there. It can't be as bad as I keep hearing.

People always complain about the ride ops at SFOT, but they were really fun and entertaining most of the time despite not being very efficient.

I haven't made it up to SFOT yet but I've heard nothing but negative things about the ride ops there. It can't be as bad as I keep hearing.

They weren't all fun, but the Judge Roy and Titan ops were fun the days I went. They weren't the most efficient, but the lines were really short so it didn't really matter.

I will give big credit to JRice92 here from the boards. He was doing a great job on Millennium Force during Coastermania. I enjoyed his announcement of the "banana boat train" in regards to the yellow train as well as his "B A N A N A S" chant afterward. He had great enthusiasm.

Holy crap, that guy's on the boards? I just came here to post about him. He's awesome.

Thank you so much guys! I had a blast speiling at coastermanaia!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

A couple of weeks the ago, the ride operator at Mamba brought in a rubber snake and making hissing noises into the microphone. He even wrapped the snake around his neck and started talking to it. It was extremely weird, but very entertaining.

Also, during ERT one year on Prowler, the operators turned off the station/lift hill lights so we could take a ride in absolute complete darkness. They even held the lap bars as the fell down so we would only get one click.

Recently at Hersheypark, as a train was leaving the station on Skyrush, the ride operator did a Simon says game, and he said Simon says clap once, Simon says clap twice, then he said ride Skyrush.

The HersheyPark ops are great, especially on Skyrush. Last season I made a trip out with 4 other operators from Dorney, we had a few awesome experiences on Skyrush. We told one of the ops we were from Dorney, so she put on this seductive look on her face and asked my buddy if he wanted the "HersheyPark Welcome" while leaning on his restraint. He said yeah and she proceeded to *jump* in the air and put all her weight on his restraint.

Towards close we also got the Skyrush crew to do a visual scan (The old Dorney one, where you chase your thumb around with your head)

• 4 weeks later...

When I was working at Wild Thing earlier tonight, my fellow ride op working at controls pulled this joke on the last train of the night:

-Train pulls into station with riders chanting "one more time!"

-Ride Op: You guys wanna ride one more time?

-Riders: Yeah!!

-Ride Op: Okay, come back tomorrow, park opens at ten!

-Riders: Awww

I remember once when I was a kid (absolutely yonks ago - well, okay, probably 20 years), we were stuck in a queue that wasn't moving and somehow they got the Jeopardy music going over the PA system.

Also, at Six Flags Great America a few years back, the guy on V² (why do they say "Vee Two"? It's "Vee Squared!") doing a few amusing-ish lines, such as "Anybody know how fast this goes?" - pause - "I do." before setting the ride off, or "ANYBODY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!? 11:58." and then setting it off.

• 2 months later...

I can think of two specific ones off the top of my head:

When I went to CP in August 2008, the lady who was operating Maverick was really enthused and interacting with the riders. She had a pretty funny-sounding high-pitched voice and made all the normal station announcements more interesting, in particular making double sure we knew to put all our loose belongings including glasses in the bins in the station. "I am not saying this for my health - you will lose them on the ride! I don't care if you're blind without your glasses. It's better to be blind for the next two minutes than for the rest of the day because they flew off your head on the 95-degree drop!"

And on my last visit to SFOT one of the best ride ops was actually the guy on the slow train tour of the park. He advised us against standing up or trying to jump off because the train moves at "a blistering speed of 2 mph!" Also "While the train is in motion, please refrain from throwing items such as coins, empty soda bottles, and younger siblings over the side of the cars, because if you don't want those items, then what on earth makes you think that WE want them??"

I've always had great bellhops at load for Tower of Terror at DCA. One particular one, Travis, liked to make subtle hints at your impending doom such as "no lunch breaks, no water breaks, in fact...no brakes at all!" It's when ride ops get into the spirit of their job that they become awesome.

I totally agree. I loved that ride. I also had Travis the first time and Dan the second, and they were both great. Only ride I re-rode all day, but it was so worth it. For further fawning over Disney's ride ops, see my forthcoming trip report.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

At SFoG when I was like 8, a the acraphobia op started singing 'The Itsy Bitsy Spider' while we were at the top and when he said 'down' we dropped. He was still singing when we got to the bottom. Also at Hershey Park on Stormrunner, there was this op that wild always recite the safety instructions instead of letting the recording play. He said it exactly how the recording sounds

I just had an interesting (and funny) "Guide" in Disneyland's Jungle River Cruise, last Thursday....

The cast member was acting like a teenage girl, who has been suddenly thrown into this job, and cannot - stop - giggling.

At times it just sounded wierd, but then she smacked us with a really great joke in the middle of it, and we'd all guffaw

at once! She was actually a great cast member, playing up what we'd think of her, while landing the jokes, too.

Brilliant!