TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Entertaining, funny ride ops.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, Boulder Dash's ride ops got dressed up for Halloween, which was really cool. One of the girls had an amazing Freddy Kruger costume.

Other than that, the best I've seen was the operator for Darien's Ride of Steel. He kept having really original and funny safety spiels. For example:

"Once upon a time, there was a ride called the Ride of Steel. Everyone stuck their hands and feet outside of the train and died. The end. Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle ladies and gentlemen."

At Valleyfair, most of the ride ops just say everything by the book, but the Corkscrew crew can be funny sometimes. Earlier this year, the main ride op said: "Once you are seated, please pull down your safety restraint, buckle your seat belt, and then help us out by pulling up on your seatbelt. That's right. For once, you can actually help us do our job."

Also, at Six Flags Great America last summer, the V2 crew was being pretty creative with what they said right before they launched you.

YOLOCoaster/Full Throttle at SFMM is always a good experience. The RO will not let you know when the train is going to be launched: you'll hear "3-2-..." and then POW, on "2" he'll let you go! Not being "primed" is one of the things that makes a ride exciting. I only wish they would get rid of the recording at the top of Lex Luthor so you don't know when you'll be dropped!

I remember riding Mean Streak, and the ride op was trying to get the riders excited. He was saying "You will be going upside down not once, not twice, but zero times!" When the train was cleared for dispatch, he was saying "Sit up right, hold on tight, and enjoy your frigid ride on 23 year old Mean Streak!" Ride ops can be really funny.

Other than that, the best I've seen was the operator for Darien's Ride of Steel. He kept having really original and funny safety spiels. For example:

"Once upon a time, there was a ride called the Ride of Steel. Everyone stuck their hands and feet outside of the train and died. The end. Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle ladies and gentlemen."

I do not think death will ever be an appropriate joke or reference on that coaster.

To add to the discussion: As much as Kennywood irritates me in 95% of their operations, there was a hilarious moment on Black Widow this past fall. The controls operator asked one of the platform operators to do something, and in-between each word she she made a brief tongue blowing sound referencing a well-known Spongebob Squarepants episodes. Absolutely Hilarious.

I don't know who it was, but there was a really funny ride op on Griffon at BGE. I think he said "Remember, on Griffon, screaming is not only allowed, it's encouraged. So when you reach the top of that first hill, don't be afraid to let out a nice big SCREAM! EEEEEEEEEEKKKK!"

At LC, Boulder Dash's operator was apparently willing to start a war Sunday night.

"Loose objects of any kind are not allowed on Boulder Dash! Hats, glasses, bags, and cell phones should go in the blue and green bins before the ride, unless it is an iPhone! If you have an iPhone, put it in the brown bin where it belongs!"

The brown bin would be the trash barrel next to the other bins.

*I own an android device and an ios device - I am in NO way taking sides in this one! It was still amusing listening to the cheers and jeers from both sides every time he made that announcement.

The same night, one of the actors from the Haunted Graveyard came up the exit ramp and got onto the ride in his costume without the people in the row in front of him noticing. As he left the station, he was pointing to the clueless people in front of him and grinning towards the ride ops. I wish I could have seen video of that ride..

Today at VF, the Renegade crew was pretty entertaining. While the train was out running the course, they would lip-sync to whatever song was playing, and they also made some funny announcements.

-Right before train enters station: "This next song playing is called Welcome Back Riders."

-As people get off: "As you leave, don't forget to wave hello to our oncoming riders."

-Right before dispatch: "Clear, scanning... hashtag all clear (#allclear)!"

I wish more ride ops were this entertaining.

Today at VF, the Renegade crew was pretty entertaining. While the train was out running the course, they would lip-sync to whatever song was playing, and they also made some funny announcements.

-Right before train enters station: "This next song playing is called Welcome Back Riders."

-As people get off: "As you leave, don't forget to wave hello to our oncoming riders."

-Right before dispatch: "Clear, scanning... hashtag all clear (#allclear)!"

I wish more ride ops were this entertaining.

I saw these guys! They were singing along with the music, and they were DEFINITELY NOT reading the script. One of their names was Drew, not sure who the others were... Anyway, they made all the other rides' announcements seem boring, and they made my day!

We need more people like this.

"Please place your loose articles in the bin... That we built... During lunch... Yesterday. Check out that craftsmanship"

Edited by GCI Wooden

Dale at I305. During slow days with one train running, he keeps the line energized with a comedy routine. For example (even though these are classic jokes):

I like to take the toll roads into work, but I don't understand why they call it a freeway, it's expensive!

That type of thing. They may not be roll on the floor funny, but he really does lighten the mood.

• 7 months later...
Dale at I305. During slow days with one train running, he keeps the line energized with a comedy routine. For example (even though these are classic jokes):

I like to take the toll roads into work, but I don't understand why they call it a freeway, it's expensive!

That type of thing. They may not be roll on the floor funny, but he really does lighten the mood.

I second this. You aren't getting the full I305 experience without Dale. If you ride in the first or second rows, you can even talk to him - and he knows me as "I saw you here yesterday/last weekend".

"Where do you find a dog with no legs? Right where you left it. What do you call a cow drinking coffee that lost her cub? Decaffeinated. " (etc)

I will give big credit to JRice92 here from the boards. He was doing a great job on Millennium Force during Coastermania. I enjoyed his announcement of the "banana boat train" in regards to the yellow train as well as his "B A N A N A S" chant afterward. He had great enthusiasm.

I will give big credit to JRice92 here from the boards. He was doing a great job on Millennium Force during Coastermania. I enjoyed his announcement of the "banana boat train" in regards to the yellow train as well as his "B A N A N A S" chant afterward. He had great enthusiasm.

Holy crap, that guy's on the boards? I just came here to post about him. He's awesome.