TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Entertaining, funny ride ops.

^That reminds me of something funny, actually.

I went on Maliboomer when it was still at California Adventure, and one of the ride ops started on the usual "Launching in 10...9..." spiel that you always hear on launch/drop towers. The thing that made this different is that he would send them up after 8 and would "finish" the countdown as they came back down to unload. To an 11-year-old me, it was absolutely hysterical.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^When I went to Hurricane Harbor at SFGA a couple years ago and the ride ops loved to do that with the trap floor slides. They would drop the floor sometimes in the middle of the countdown or wait a second or two after they reached one.

On Wicked Twister, since the train launches directly out of the station, the countdowns have plenty of opportunity for hilarity. One one occasion I recall the ride operator saying "Launching in 5... 1." It took my dad and I completely by surprise and it made the ride one of the better ones of the night.

Launching Wicked Twister is probably the funnest thing you can do working at Cedar Point. No question.

Of course, it takes a lot of technique because the ride doesn't launch the instant you push the button...you have to learn to time it correctly.

This summer a lot of people responded to "you'll go up..up..up..up..then straight back down just like Charlie Sheen's career."

A lot of people don't really know that the inspiration can go both ways. There are a lot of guests that can crack up the ride hosts, and that's always what made my days much better! Although, we've pretty much heard it all, so you've gotta be clever

On Wicked Twister, since the train launches directly out of the station, the countdowns have plenty of opportunity for hilarity. One one occasion I recall the ride operator saying "Launching in 5... 1." It took my dad and I completely by surprise and it made the ride one of the better ones of the night.

Launching Wicked Twister is probably the funnest thing you can do working at Cedar Point. No question.

Of course, it takes a lot of technique because the ride doesn't launch the instant you push the button...you have to learn to time it correctly.

I also remember when I went to dorney and was riding possessed, the ride operator would usually say: "You will be possessed in 3,2,1" and then launched the train but when it was our turn she just said: "You will be possessed .. . . now!" and there we went.

I also remember when I went to dorney and was riding possessed, the ride operator would usually say: "You will be possessed in 3,2,1" and then launched the train but when it was our turn she just said: "You will be possessed .. . . now!" and there we went.

I remember them doing that also, except when I went on it they said, you will be possessed in no time. The operator had the creepiest voice too which really added to the experience.

I remember the last year that paddle wheel was at cedarpoint. we watched the crew try to capture a snake in the que line. It was hilarious trying to watch them capture the snake. I think I may have a few pictures somewhere If I can find them, we will post them.

Holy crap. Yesterday I was at my homepark Castles-n-Coasters, and towards the end of the day, the park was really vacant. I don't really know what started it, but my group ended up on the bumper car cycle about twenty times in one sitting. We were with about ten other people and we were just high fiving each other while the ride op was shoutcasting the entire thing. It was a blast.

• 9 months later...

The most annoying ride operators are those at the Dark Knight (SFNE). I want to punch the person who decided to incorporate the "Whoop Whoop" into every dispatch. I actually enjoy the ride, and try to ride it on every trip to the park, but I only ride it was. I thought it was OK the first time I heard it years ago, but know I can't stand that useless noise.

All the ride ops that led us in stretching before riding in China were entertaining.

Edited by larrygator

If have to say the ride ops at Worlds finest Shows based in Ontario.

They've done countless amazing things over the years, and really respect enthusiasts.

Here's just a few things they've done:

-Given double/tripple long rides, most notably the 10 minute Zipper ride, where they lined up the cage to cause it to constantly spin.

-Letting people on rides for free

-Being entertaining/pumping up the crowd in line

-Giving private tours of the midway before it opens, and opening rides as early as they are allowed to.

Keep in mind these are simply carny ride ops, not well paid permanent park employees... Pretty kicka$$ if you ask me!

Edited by canadianparkfan

I remember when I was at Six Flags Great Adventure, I would re-reserve Batman The Ride, and the person checking Q-Bots was all like, you again?

I used the pass thingy on superman at Warner Madrid several times in a row and the woman checking it would laugh and be like: "Yay!! It's you! Again!"