TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mysterious 'Interruption' of a Texas Giant Cycle at SFOT

Articles: http://watchdogblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/they-wont-talk-six-flags-over.html

http://watchdogblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/07/post-1.html

Six Flags Over Texas now says the Texas Giant roller coaster will remain closed all day today -- the third straight day of a mysterious safety problem at the Arlington amusement park.

But spokeswoman Sharon Parker won't talk about what's wrong, beyond saying that staff "detected an error with one of the cars on the track."

What kind of error? "I haven't been given that information yet," she told me. "I'm just holding tight until the engineers provide me with that information."

Why aren't they telling people more? Parker's response:

"Our priority right now is getting to the root of it and making sure that we get it up and running safely. To me that's the No. 1 priority. I'm in constant communication with them. When the time is appropriate they will let me know, and I will convey that information to you guys. Until that time there is nothing else to share."

The ride is scheduled for a $10 million renovation next year, as my newspaper reported in March.

No major injuries were reported on the ride last year, according to this terrific searchable database published by the San Antonio Express-News. It covers all injury reports that Texas amusement parks must make to the state Department of Insurance.

A few employees were posting on various sites that the last car of a train on the ride derailed mid cycle. I'm sharing this because some of you guys will be visiting soon. Hopefully the Giant will be up and running for you guys!

-Cody Thomason

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the last car left back wheel derailed and slowed the train to a stop, I was E stoped on the lift when it happened, askedthe maintence guy what happended after they closed it down.

Yeah--I'm actually really looking forward to this ride on the trip in a couple of weeks. Hope it's running then.

It's open now, rode it today. Not surprised it happened, the thing rocks like a b#$%

I will only ride that coaster in the very front seat and probably won't even bother riding it when we're there in a couple of weeks. It's rough and pretty pointless.

The renovation can't come fast enough! I only hope the 'renovation' involves burning it to the ground and replacing it with an Intamin Woodie!

Texas Giant is rough. However, if you ever get a chance to ride it right after the offseason on opening weekend, the ride is simply amazing!

I will only ride that coaster in the very front seat and probably won't even bother riding it when we're there in a couple of weeks. It's rough and pretty pointless.

The renovation can't come fast enough! I only hope the 'renovation' involves burning it to the ground and replacing it with an Intamin Woodie!

Do you know how much El Toro cost?

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not double post. If you wish to reply to a thread in which you were the last poster, please edit your previous post. Thank you.

Wow that cannot be good! I would hate to be in that last car during the accident, now that would be a horrible ride! I do hope the renovation restores this ride to its formor glory as I heard it used to be really good!

As for the 10 million, it makes sense, most of the track is going to have to be replaced, the turns rebanked and some of it I heard has to be resupported. (Something about the way Dinn supported its coasters)

Kinda sounds like what happened on Raging Wolf Bobs a few weeks before GL was closed for good. Except that RWB derailed on the first car. I'm wondering where on the track it ended up coming to a rest? Did the derailing slow it down on a hill and the train rolled back down to the valley, or something else? Whatever happened, its good to hear that its back up and running - kudos to maintenance for getting it fixed quickly.