TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney contemplates the possible return of Captain EO.

Just because they get letters saying they should bring it back doesnt mean they are "urged to," and unless theres some sort of split in the universe they wont. While yes it would temporarily increase park attendance they wouldnt take the hit of the news media saying "Disneyland brings back Michael Jackson" after he was in court twice for allegedly molesting children, dont want to unrest the paranoid soccer mom crowd.

I don't know.

Jacko mania is at a fever pitch these days. >1.6 million people registered for a chance to attend his memorial service.

I'm by no means a Jacko fan (quite the opposite actually), but ultimately the man was never convicted. And the second accuser was clearly a scam artist.

I think they should bring back Captain EO. I've never seen it and it seems like a good way to bring in guests during a slump.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been listening to "We Are Here to Change the World!!!!" ever since his death last week. I remember walking out of the show and feeling so inspired! I LOVED IT! I was actually at Disneyland the day he died so we went over and had a moment of silence for MJ.

So yeah, I would be very happy if they brought it back and I also LOVE the idea of a Thriller show at Halloween!

Thanks for the Captian EO. That was my first theme park 3D movie ever. Brought back some good memories.

I think it would be fitting if Michael Jackson did have a permanent attraction attraction built in the Disney parks. Clearly, his popularity remains high and a musical retrospective attraction of some kind would likely be a draw for the Disney parks, especially in Asia & Europe.

I think it's a great idea to temporarily bring this film back. EO was also my first 3-D movie, and I absolutely loved it back in the day. I remember it so much more fondly than HISTA

If you head over to Mousebits.com, one of the users there took a video copy he had of this film, and made a red/blue 3-D version of it that worked with a pair of glasses I had for another DVD. It's obviously not as good as the polarized version, but it still gives you an idea of what it was like in that theater.

I have been "urging" Disney to build Journey to the Center of the Earth in Anaheim. They gave me Radiator Springs Racers. I'm ok with that...

Seriously though, I would love to see Captain EO, I never got to see it (besides on youtube). I hear there's still a place cast members can watch it in 3D but I'm not sure exactly where. If it's at the studios in burbank or elsewhere... must research.

• 1 month later...

Disneyland President Ed Grier and his TDA planners have held a few meetings to consider another element for this years 'Halloween Time' promotion; a return engagement of Captain EO.

The article talks about what Robb and Elissa stated about the popularity of HISTA. "HISTA attendance at this venue has plummeted in recent years to the point where it only hosts a tiny fraction of its daily capacity."

If they bring Captain EO back it would just be a short term run for the Halloween season.

www.examiner.com/x-704-Pop-Media-Examin ... -Halloween

Growing up I was a huge MJ fan and one of the highlights of going to Epcot was to see Captain EO and figment in Journey into imagination. Epcot's future world seemed like a shell of it's former self to me when I returned to Disney World i 2007 after not having been there in over 13 years. I watched HISTA since I skipped it out of protest before and I have to say even with it's age Captain EO was by far better!

It would be cool if Disney brought back if just for a short run. I certainly would love to see it come back and might even consider a short trip just for it.

I have been "urging" Disney to build Journey to the Center of the Earth in Anaheim. They gave me Radiator Springs Racers. I'm ok with that...

Seriously though, I would love to see Captain EO, I never got to see it (besides on youtube). I hear there's still a place cast members can watch it in 3D but I'm not sure exactly where. If it's at the studios in burbank or elsewhere... must research.

Yeah. I'm in the same boat as you, never got to see it apart from YouTube videos. Plus, journey to the center of earth would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

^While I still believe it will be announced at the D23 Expo, the above "announcement" is really a post on the site's forums by a poster quoting Miceage. I wouldn't consider anything 100% official until an announcement is made by the Walt Disney Company...

^Especially since all the tweets I have been seeing from the D23 Expo have Iger saying there are no definate plans as of yet. They are looking into it, but its going to take a bit more work to make it happen the way they want it to.

I just hope they do it correctly with all the effects. Bringing back the fiber optic starfield curtains that enclosed the room might prove to be the biggest challenge IMO. I also wonder if they own the complete rights to the film and music (including the exit music).

^^ Yep:

Disneyland has “no definite plans to bring back” the Michael Jackson 3-D movie “Captain EO,” Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said today during an impromptu news conference at D23 Expo in Anaheim.

“There aren’t plans to bring back ‘Captain EO’ at this time,” Iger said. “We are looking at it. It’s the kind of thing that, if we did it, would get a fair amount of attention and we’d want to make sure we do it right.”

Iger and other Disney brass watched a screening of the 1980s-era sci-fi fantasy film this week and determined that the old music video needed to be further evaluated before it could be brought back into the Anaheim theme park

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/iger-no-plans-to-bri-5337/