TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney contemplates the possible return of Captain EO.

The folks at Disney have been receiving many requests for a perhaps limited engagement performance of Captain EO. The 3D show had a long run before being replaced by the current "Honey I Shrunk the Audience"

Even though it would take a bit of work to return it to Disneyland, the effort would probably be worthwhile for Disney. (In terms of of increased park attendance)

I personally always enjoyed Captain EO, and there are probably many people out there who have not seen it. (Other than on U-tube)

Most likely it won't happen, but after ten years of "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" I wouldn't mind the return of this Disney classic.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/a-clockwork-orange/eo/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**ANYTHING** is better than "Honey, I Bored The Audience."

Seriously. I'm amazed that it's been allowed to run for THAT long. I think I'd rather have back Magic Journey's over that film.

I've seen it once at Disneyland. Once at Walt Disney World. And that's twice more than I needed to!

Please! Bring back Captian EO. Not that I'm a Jackson fan, but because I hate HIBTA that much!!!

--Robb

^LOL!

Totally agree. It would be a nice tribute to bring it back for a few months or something. I know Michael Jackson always had a special relationship with Disney and it could be done nicely and tastefully.

^^I agree, the only Honey attraction that is possibly good is the playground at DHS and even THAT has not much to do.

I'm all for the Captain EO temporarily returning thing. Not permanent or anything of course, nostalgia over an influential celebrity can only last so long before its old. Now if only Disney could make a new show a million times better than Wayne Szalinski's Bore-dome.

^ Agreed. I really don't mind Stitch if I *have* to go see it. Any attraction that can make kids scream and cry and run away in horrific terror is actually pretty entertaining in itself, and *LOT* more entertaining than Honey, I Bored The Audience.

--Robb

Not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination, but I heard that there was A LOT of legal red tape to sort through. If true, it goes beyond just MJ and onto other people involved in the production.

^ Agreed. I really don't mind Stitch if I *have* to go see it. Any attraction that can make kids scream and cry and run away in horrific terror is actually pretty entertaining in itself, and *LOT* more entertaining than Honey, I Bored The Audience.

--Robb

Actually, when I was about 7 I cried hysterically during HISTA and had to be taken out of the theater.

Just because they get letters saying they should bring it back doesnt mean they are "urged to," and unless theres some sort of split in the universe they wont. While yes it would temporarily increase park attendance they wouldnt take the hit of the news media saying "Disneyland brings back Michael Jackson" after he was in court twice for allegedly molesting children, dont want to unrest the paranoid soccer mom crowd.

^ I don't think paranoid soccer moms would be worried about bringing an old attraction back from the dead (no pun intended) to honor MJ.

I see this as a great idea if Disney can get past all the legal stuff. They can rake in a few extra dollars and guests can re-experience an old attraction. I'm pretty sure it would make MJ fans happy as well.

Actually, when I was about 7 I cried hysterically during HISTA and had to be taken out of the theater.

My request for the next season of "The Bryan and Adam Show" is for you to recreate this historic event!

While I agree this would be a worthy endeavor--and I'd be beside myself if I got to experience "Captain EO" during the West Coast Trip--I suspect that the Kodak sponsorship, probably among many other variables, likely would preclude this from happening.

My request for the next season of "The Bryan and Adam Show" is for you to recreate this historic event!

Just go stand in the exit of Tough to Be a Bug, youll see at least one parent dragging out a screamin child every 7 minutes.

Just because they get letters saying they should bring it back doesnt mean they are "urged to," and unless theres some sort of split in the universe they wont. While yes it would temporarily increase park attendance they wouldnt take the hit of the news media saying "Disneyland brings back Michael Jackson" after he was in court twice for allegedly molesting children, dont want to unrest the paranoid soccer mom crowd.

Yeah, they would be unrest knowing that some man may come back from the dead and cause "alleged" harm to their kids...

If they do bring it back I maybe tempted to venture out west. I have never seen it in person and, well, never been out west so it would be just caused for me!

Not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination, but I heard that there was A LOT of legal red tape to sort through. If true, it goes beyond just MJ and onto other people involved in the production.

I figure Wes, Joey or Robb could probably answer this:

Don't things like this have a LOT to do with SAG, and the royalties that need to be paid out to all involved??

I only think that because I know a girl who was in the BTTF preshow, and she collected royalties quite often. (She still might for all I know, as BTTF is still at USJ)

JJ