TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney vs Hershey

I was originally planning on going to Six Flags Great Adventure, but after having to reschedule more than 3 times due to work scheduling complications and friend/family availability, I decided it isn't going to be worth the hassle. Also I'm sure the crowds will be terrible on a Friday in July.

I will now be going to either Hershey or Dorney this summer. Unfortunately I have to go on a Friday since my brother is taking summer classes. Im having a tough time deciding between the 2 of them. Which would be less crowded on a Friday in July? Which park has a better selection of flat rides? I know Hershey crushes Dorney's coaster selection, but Dorney seems to have more water rides and a better water park.

Overall my main concerns are lines and flat ride selection as the coasters at both parks seem great. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Hershey back in 2005-06 and had very little issues with lines on weekdays.

Storm Runner: 30-45 minutes

Sidewinder: Walk On

Wildcat: 5 minutes

Lightning Racer: Walk On

Roller Soaker: Many Breakdowns & Slow Moving Line (AVOID)

Wild Mouse: 10 minutes

Trailblazer: Walk On

Sooperdooperlooper: Walk On (if both trains are running)

Great Bear: 15-20 minutes

Comet: 20-40 minutes

Fahrenheit: ??

When I went to Dorney on a weekend in 2005, there were almost no lines at all. All of the major coasters were 5-10 minute waits. The park itself was almost completely deserted, while the water park was swamped.

If you're looking for a better atmosphere, I personally reccomend Hershey...plus, you can't beat the chocolate But as Canobie said, their lines can be quite long at times; the park itself can get pretty crowded. Also, I'm also personally think they could have a better selection of flat rides. They've removed some great classics over the years.

Dorney isn't bad either; their crowds tend to be more tolerable. It's really on personal preference.

Both parks have their pro's. Lightning Racer and Storm Runner are amazing coasters, but so are Hydra and Talon.

If I were to choose, I'd go Dorney, as Talon is one of the best coasters I've ridden.

If you’re planning to spend most of your day at a water park definitely go to Dorney. The Boardwalk is below par of even the most average waterparks, even with the "Seaqule" whereas Dorney has a fully established waterpark with enough things to do to disperse large crowds. Typically The Boardwalk will be the most crowded part of Hershey, and while you could probably say the same for Dorney with WWK, Dorney has enough water attractions to handle a crowd twice the size that the Boardwalk is meant to handle (even though on an average day the Boardwalk gets twice as many people than it can handle to begin with.)

But Hershey isn’t a bad place at all, they have great coasters and some great dark rides as well. It all depends what you’re looking for in your day.

If you've haven't been to either, I would probably say go to Hershey; they have a really great, unique selection of coasters, and I really can't imagine having an awful day there.

On the other hand, I do think Dorney is a pretty underrated park; Talon and Steel Force are very good coasters, and Dorney has a great selection of water rides, both in the waterpark and the ride park. And, as many people have said, the lines are nearly always very short, which is virtually the opposite from Hershey (Hershey doesn't necessarily get massive lines; I've just found them to be consistently long).

Hershey is better, since it isn't a giant concrete block. All of their coasters are at least good; trailblazer is alright since you can walk on all of the time. Their water park is terribly small and has lines that go on forever. Don't even think about going on roller soaker, you will have wasted a 5th of your time in the park in that line. Dorney is meh.

Mr. Bebe would recommend Hershey over Dorney.

Better ride selection and better atmosphere in general.

Both Parks have good BM inverts.

Both parks have stupid wild mouse.

Dorney has a great hypercoaster; Hershey does not.

Dorney has a good LIM U-shape launched coaster, Hershey has a launched comlete circuit phenom (StormRunner).

Dorney has an old coaster called Thunderhawk & Hershey's is Comet.

Dorey's Hydra is the worst of the Floorless models i've ridden (still a decent ride), albeit the most unique. Hershey's Fahrenheit & Lightning Racers are awesome.

Dorney doesnt have anything else. Hershey Does.

One thing I'm curious about (and have been for a while) - why is Hydra one of the worst Floorless models? Nearly everything I've heard about it is that people don't like it. Personally, it's intrigued me, as it seems to have a very unique layout. I've never ridden a floorless coaster, but to me the only thing I see that can hurt the ride is the fairly short layout. Is there something (or several other things) that I've missed that make it so "bad?"

Starting around 2008, Hydra has had a vibration problem. Not like a Vekoma vibration problem, but nowhere near as smooth a ride as you'd expect from B&M. Depending on your size and shape, you may be able to mitigate it somewhat by sitting in a center seat instead of an edge seat.

I don't know why people complain about the shortness of the ride. It's compact, but it's twisty and works really well with the terrain. I quite like the design, I just don't like the way it rides.

Not to mention that it isn't that big, most Beemers have large inversions, smoothness, and speed. Hydra isn't that fast, the transitions between inversions are quirky and not that smooth, and it honestly loses pacing immensely after the cobra roll. I still like it but have to agree that it's one of the worst floorless coasters out there (I even like Batman: The Dark Knight at SFNE better).

As for the park, Hershey. You can do Dorney in a few hours, Hershey you can do all day plus Chocolate World, it's just a beautiful place with honestly one of the best selection of coasters anywhere. Love Dorney but they need some more attractions still.

As far as Hydra goes, it doesn't hold many g's. But as far as thrill and level of excitement goes, it's awesome. The barrel roll right out of the station is pretty cool, too.

About Hershey vs. Dorney: If you have the whole day to ride and explore around the park, Hershey would be the place to go. If you have something else you want to do during the day, head to Dorney. Both have amazing rides though.

I'm gonna be a Hershey in a few days, and I will be there from opening to closing. I just want to know what rides I should do first, and what would be the best order so that I can make the most of my day.

I got a basic idea of what I'm gonna do, I just thought it would be smart to get some other opinions.

No matter what general preferences are (unless you're going JUST for a waterpark) I can't imagine calling Dorney over Hershey for anything.

For me, Hershey is absolutely one of the best parks out there, and Dorney...I almost hesitate to say but I don't care much for at all. Some OK coasters, but not a single one remarkable, and just really generic, drab atmosphere for much of the park. The only real gripe I have with Hershey is the occasional long lines.