TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

mini TR: Holiday World-Friday, June 26

It took my first trip to Holiday World last sunday and it wasn't what I was expecting.

I wasn't expecting what is basically a huge water park and a small amusement park with a dozen rides. Food prices and quality was good, but the 40$ admission is a rip off unless you go to the water park.

Regarding Voyage, I rode it twice and it now sits firmly with my worst coaster ever. The airtime was light and the ride just too violent to be enjoyable. Like Ravine Flyer, I just felt the 90 degrees turns were boring.

Legend was an ok ride with light airtime and rib shattering laterals in the helix.

Raven was too short and ended as soon as the ride got going after the huge drop at the end of the ride.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voyage worst coaster ever? Wow. I must have a high threshold of rough, because I never thought it was bad at all. Just courious, how many wooden coasters have you ridden?

40 Dollars a rip off? Go to any big chain park. Say, Six Flags St. Louis. First off, you will get hit right off the bat with a 15 dollars parking fee. Then 30 dollars discounted entry. Okay. Now onto food and drink prices. Drink prices at SFSTL if you bought all your drinks individually instead of a refillable bottle. 3.50 for water. Food prices are 6 bucks plus. A good meal is 11 dollars at the cheapest. So, if you spend the whole day at thepark, you might drink probably 6-7 bottles.

Holiday World might not have the most rides, but HW is far from a rip off.

Hmmm...interesting comments made about HW and Voyage in this report.

Being "up there" a bit in age, I tend to like mostly smooth as opposed to "jar the hell out of you" death machines. I really thought that something shifted inside of my chest wall on Son of Beast that was not intended to move and I did not like it at all. What is the comparison to Voyage vs SOB in terms of roughness?

Although I would like to go to Holiday World to try them all for my own opinion, I am not quite as excited about Voyage after reading some of the reviews from the older and more experienced riders.

Voyage worst coaster ever? Wow. I must have a high threshold of rough, because I never thought it was bad at all. Just courious, how many wooden coasters have you ridden?

40 Dollars a rip off? Go to any big chain park. Say, Six Flags St. Louis. First off, you will get hit right off the bat with a 15 dollars parking fee. Then 30 dollars discounted entry. Okay. Now onto food and drink prices. Drink prices at SFSTL if you bought all your drinks individually instead of a refillable bottle. 3.50 for water. Food prices are 6 bucks plus. A good meal is 11 dollars at the cheapest. So, if you spend the whole day at thepark, you might drink probably 6-7 bottles.

Holiday World might not have the most rides, but HW is far from a rip off.

Like I said, 40$ for just the ride park is a rip off if you don't go to the water park. The free drinks and "free" parking is instead added onto the admission price of everyone instead of being separate. Add the water park and its an amazing value.

According to coastercounter, I rode 56 wooden coasters. Want the list? Voyage was just too violent and didn't have enough airtime to be in my top coasters. T Express, SFGAm Viper, Colossos, Troy, El Toro, Boulder Dash are my favorites.

I realise that Holiday World is not my kind

First off there is NO REASON for you to pay the full admission price at ANY amusement park that offers discounts. As a coaster enthusiast, you can join a coaster club on the approved list at http://www.holidayworld.com/clubs (RideWorld's club is $10 per year) and get the discounted rate of $26.95. Come in after 3pm and the price goes down to $23.95.

As for the park as a whole, it is a family oriented theme park that has some world class thrill rides. For the coaster enthusiast, I can see where you don't perceive the value at Holiday World versus parks like Cedar Point and SF parks. But, for my family I know that for the price there is tremendous value at Holiday World due to the awesome waterpark and the 10-15 rides my two year old daughter can ride at the park. When she gets 4 inches taller, the number of available rides almost triples!

The water park is so outstanding, you can spend a full day there and still not experience everything on a moderately crowded day.

For those that don't have families, I don't expect you to understand fully what I am talking about. But as for my family, we visit the park at least twice per year and have a fantastic time doing so. For me, the coasters are icing on the cake of a great family get together.

So the guy doesn't like Voyage..big deal. I can't name a single coaster in which there is a unanimous opinion. For all those who dislike SOB you'll find some who love it. You'll find people who love Millie and hate Millie. You'll find people who adore Diamondback and loathe it.

Who the frick cares? Voyage happens to be my #2 coaster (Phoenix is my #1). Does the fact that someone hates Voyage automatically negate how I feel about it? No. Does my high opinion of Voyage mean his low opinion is wrong? No. He feels how he does, I feel how I do.

How I look at it: if someone doesn't like Voyage it's one less person in line, lol.

^Well said. I have pretty much the same feeling. Like all coasters, the Voyage has a certain ride experience. Many love it, and many hate it. It all comes down to the rider and what they think makes a good coaster.