TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

It was around 1:30pm, so the ride had already been running for half the day. I spotted the gap on the train's first lap around the track (the train rolled right over it fine at first), then the derailment happened on the second lap. I still can't believe I actually watched it happen. I really hope everyone was ok.

^ That's good to know, but it's still inexcusable that it happened in the first place. That isn't an axle that happened to break. It's an unsecured joint on the track. Furthermore, both this coaster and the swing ride don't seem to be properly secured to the ground at all. I mean the coaster is sitting on some wood planks! The swing ride looks like it was just the metal structure sitting on the asphalt! It's absurd.

^ That's good to know, but it's still inexcusable that it happened in the first place. That isn't an axle that happened to break. It's an unsecured joint on the track. Furthermore, both this coaster and the swing ride don't seem to be properly secured to the ground at all. I mean the coaster is sitting on some wood planks! The swing ride looks like it was just the metal structure sitting on the asphalt! It's absurd.

The Dragon coaster is secured to the ground at every base where the track meets the ground, there are huge bolts/stakes holding each of the footers to the ground. Also there are huge bolts in the ground which has metal wires which also hold the track to the ground.

That's actually a very common way of securing small coasters like this in carnivals/small parks. I'm really surprised that maintenance did not catch this in morning inspections. The whole footer looks shifted and the anchor bolts for the ride aren't even in good from the looks of the picture.

> It looks like SFOGdude25's pic made the local news.

> There's one other pic out there but it's from the other side, so less illustrative. It's credited as "photo by Wes Shipley via Twitter" in the article linked below.

> The "damage control" comments below from the park manager are egregiously flippant and sour-tasting. Neither of the recent incidents are routine or excusable. No injuries is besides the point. Withholding detailed comment "during the investigation" and hoping the story fades from public view would have even been a more respectable route.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/beech-bend-ride-malfunctions/article_876e2e09-75f3-5f7a-b119-be7d7206139c.html

Beech Bend ride malfunctions

By SIMONE C. PAYNE Updated Aug 16, 2015

As children and parents made their way around the tracks of the Dragon Coaster at Beech Bend Amusement Park on Saturday afternoon, they were jarred when the ride came to a sudden stop.

“It just came to more of an abrupt stop than normal, but everything’s cool,” said park manager Charlotte Gonzalez. “There was some people on it, no injuries, it wasn’t a big deal.”

The ride is being examined and undergoing routine maintenance, and Gonzalez said she is confident it will be back up and running soon.

“Actually, they’ve got to do a little welding and we don’t do that until when the park’s closed for that,” Gonzalez said. “Anytime we have any kind of a situation where welding’s required on anything we do, the state does a normal routine inspection.

“We should be back up and running in the morning,” she said.

On July 25, the Jitterbug Swing ride at Beech Bend toppled and 12 people were treated for injuries. The amusement park faces a lawsuit related to that incident.

Both of these situations are disappointing and I am glad there were no major injuries. There could have easily been notable injuries.

I really enjoyed this park a few months ago and was impressed by the overall operations and some very friendly employees. I hope this is a wake up call and they can pull themselves out.

That response was literally the worst thing they could have done in this situation. "Oh no big deal, our children's roller coaster just LITERALLY FELL APART with people on it. We'll just slap some welds on it and get it back open in a couple weeks."

I'm straight up avoiding this place from now on. It's a shame, because I was thinking about stopping through to get some rides on the Rumbler next year, but I won't darken the door of any establishment that puts kid's lives at risk so nonchalantly. What a stain on the industry.

That response was literally the worst thing they could have done in this situation. "Oh no big deal, our children's roller coaster just LITERALLY FELL APART with people on it. We'll just slap some welds on it and get it back open in a couple weeks."

I'm straight up avoiding this place from now on. It's a shame, because I was thinking about stopping through to get some rides on the Rumbler next year, but I won't darken the door of any establishment that puts kid's lives at risk so nonchalantly. What a stain on the industry.

Making such a nonchalant response to the incident, especially after having another accident with the swing ride not that long ago, really makes me question how this park operates. Could you imagine if it was on a higher section of track?

I operated the Dragon coaster that morning, but not at the time of the accident. I have rode every single ride that I can at Beech Bend, and I trust all of the rides. (I can not ride air race or Vortex due to the restraints not green lighting) If I do not feel comfortable in riding it I will not put a guest on that ride. I have rode the Dragon coaster countless times, along with the rumbler and the mouse. I know all of the maintenence employees personally and I see them every day, and they check EVERY ride EVERY day.

Beech Bend takes good care of the rides, there may be paint or light issues but they are structurally and mechanically sound. The rides are so much better than what I have seen at Holiday world, I can tell you all kinds of horror stories from when I worked there...

I operated the Dragon coaster that morning, but not at the time of the accident. I have rode every single ride that I can at Beech Bend, and I trust all of the rides. (I can not ride air race or Vortex due to the restraints not green lighting) If I do not feel comfortable in riding it I will not put a guest on that ride. I have rode the Dragon coaster countless times, along with the rumbler and the mouse. I know all of the maintenence employees personally and I see them every day, and they check EVERY ride EVERY day.

Beech Bend takes good care of the rides, there may be paint or light issues but they are structurally and mechanically sound. The rides are so much better than what I have seen at Holiday world, I can tell you all kinds of horror stories from when I worked there...

Thank you for the update, Floyd!

Promote this guy immediately. He just made a statement 1000x better than the actual manager(?) of the park. The amusement industry could use more employees like this.

> It looks like SFOGdude25's pic made the local news.

> There's one other pic out there but it's from the other side, so less illustrative. It's credited as "photo by Wes Shipley via Twitter" in the article linked below.

> The "damage control" comments below from the park manager are egregiously flippant and sour-tasting. Neither of the recent incidents are routine or excusable. No injuries is besides the point. Withholding detailed comment "during the investigation" and hoping the story fades from public view would have even been a more respectable route.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/beech-bend-ride-malfunctions/article_876e2e09-75f3-5f7a-b119-be7d7206139c.html

Beech Bend ride malfunctions

By SIMONE C. PAYNE Updated Aug 16, 2015

As children and parents made their way around the tracks of the Dragon Coaster at Beech Bend Amusement Park on Saturday afternoon, they were jarred when the ride came to a sudden stop.

“It just came to more of an abrupt stop than normal, but everything’s cool,” said park manager Charlotte Gonzalez. “There was some people on it, no injuries, it wasn’t a big deal.”

The ride is being examined and undergoing routine maintenance, and Gonzalez said she is confident it will be back up and running soon.

“Actually, they’ve got to do a little welding and we don’t do that until when the park’s closed for that,” Gonzalez said. “Anytime we have any kind of a situation where welding’s required on anything we do, the state does a normal routine inspection.

“We should be back up and running in the morning,” she said.

On July 25, the Jitterbug Swing ride at Beech Bend toppled and 12 people were treated for injuries. The amusement park faces a lawsuit related to that incident.

Got to it before I did! Here's another local news story that used my pic. They also interviewed me, too, through Skype. First time I've ever been on the news haha.

I was honestly surprised that they said it was inspected and passed, which tells me this incident really shouldn't have happened. Thank the lord there were no injuries as it could've been way worse.