TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beech Bend Discussion Thread

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Just got back from Beech Bend, and things are really coming along nicely. I snapped a few shots to share with you guys and get you pumped for Rumblefest (which is May 28, remember?)

Enjoy!

Jeff

DSC00312.thumb.JPG.589eaae1d4d8a8ff01f9dc07df40ec79.JPG

I think this is a cool element...

DSC00376.JPG.84e7c474c5d37c61617ad46d9da4787b.JPG

A neat view of the twisted track.

DSC00375.thumb.JPG.797f2a7299fd175976fee83bd0668533.JPG

This is the "Roll in" side of the station building.

DSC00381.JPG.99b5980ab733d5abe51ae09bf91864c7.JPG

Here's a look at the "Roll Out" end of the station. You can see the unique exit ramp under construction. It hugs the track and does a circular zig-zag down.

DSC00399.thumb.JPG.d96383e153f8791b0aa5b70acd79e6a8.JPG

A look into the station from the "Roll out" end. The Q-gates are installed but you're looking at the exit platfrom so you can't see them.

DSC00395.thumb.JPG.774c98e25271554154fc4595c1146a0f.JPG

This is looking at the "Roll Out" End of the station building, which is complete. Notice how the station is just sort of "part" of the rest of the ride.

DSC00369.JPG.a03d1d241a08336f088c0a53d8d2675d.JPG

Fun little run to the lift with a bunny hop!

DSC00370.JPG.6c9cc9b87fb6b932fe5e826057b4c797.JPG

A view from inside the park

DSC00341.JPG.40f2ced4837e54a53065b0fb78f496c4.JPG

This greets you from the entrance road

I think GCI projects get overshadowed by bigger coasters on spec, but I really love the quality of these rides from the structure to the trains. This will be another ride that proves bigger isn't better.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Anyone know of any special elements going into this ride?

Three station fly-by's or something to that effect.

Rumber looks sweet, I'm actually looking forward to this one more than those other woodies for this year simply because GCI kicks so much butt in my mind! 8)

- Joe

• 1 month later...

Hey, this is my first post, but I thought I'd give you somw photos from the construction tour at Beech Bend Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

On march nineteenth, 36 of us made the trek down to the middle of cows and caves in Bowling green, Kentucky for a tour of the Kentucky Rumbler, GCI's newest masterpiece in the United States. None of us expected any ride time of course, but the tour was going to be worthwhile. The park was very receptive and excited about the new coaster, which dwarfs the parks other two major coasters: a zamperla spinning mouse and a pinfari looping star. Jeff and Clair of Great Coasters were also on hand to conduct tours and answer any questions we might have. Let's get to the pictures! (more to come on actually riding the coaster, I'm waiting for those pictures at the moment.)

Testing.JPG.2df88e09c627c949c0dba89d042c162f.JPG

During lunch, the lift chain started going and we all cheered as the train began to run test cycles, soon I'll have another update with pictures of us riding!

Trains.JPG.464e0dc0791ed2f6f8dce24f63743bcc.JPG

Like all their rides, the GCI flyers are back for the unbelievable smooth ride and surprising airtime (more than thunderhead IMO)

2104174509_1stdrop.JPG.97248d956bdf1d0f6d456e0e05aa3bc3.JPG

the diving first drop is awesome

Layout.JPG.d71035ec76fa19f2ded102ea03e0b077.JPG

Some twisted, crossing track of the Rumbler, something GCI does so well.

Deadman.JPG.cfd06dcc53f56d6b9810ec4a0fa369f7.JPG

For those of you familiar with other GCI's like Thunderhead, this is the deadman for the kentucky rumbler. Clair explained that it is a solid block of concrete that goes 6 feet under the ground!

1224868380_Clairandtrack.JPG.cf8053bb2eb94b4f813859a92c782768.JPG

Clair, President of GCI, gives us a guided tour up close and personal (sometimes downright invasive) of the Kentucky Rumbler's twisted layout.

Station.JPG.b524b38ed1a16ce5e1a85a8aa80a22e7.JPG

The station for this ride, if you haven't heard already, is buried in the middle of the coaster, with track abutting it on 3 sides!

okay, still waitin on some pics, but let me tell you about the ride. There is an animation out there for those who are interested, but let me say it doesn't do this ride justice. Not even close! The closest ride I've been on to it is of course Thunderhead at Dollywood, but the airtime over the hills on this ride is much longer, albeit not quite as intense in spots. The first drop is great, especially from the back seat as you get whipped down the drop. Immediately after that is the first of 3 station flybys. This is probably the most identifiable feature of the Kentucky Rumbler, with one being right parallel to the ride's exit platform, almost even with the track of the station. As people pass by on this one there's a nice bit of airtime, so it's quite cool to hear the riders screaming and see their hands as they pass the people waiting to get on. The top speed is around 50 mph, and Jeff and Clair assure me when it hits the brakes you're still going 25-30. This thing starts whipping you around from the drop and doesn't quit until you hit the brakes. Speaking of the brake run, the coaster isn't designed for 2 trains, even to add them later. Clair had a wonderful anecdote from the parks owner when he asked him about possible 2train operation for the Kentucky Rumbler: He said the park owner's view was that if the lines get too long, he'll just have to build another coaster! I don't know about you, but I love this guy's way of thinking. Beech Bend Park was extremely receptive of us, buying us Papa John's pizza, brownies, cheesecake, cookies... a nice spread. The tour was great, and talking to the family that owns the park you really get a feeling they're just as excited about opening day as we are. Holiwood nights is memorial day weekend, and everyone who can should go for an awsome time on raven and legend (not to mention the new giant at HW, Voyage). For those of you making the trip, that Sunday, do yourself a favor and drive down to beech bend for Rumblefest. This is one coaster you won't forget!

-James

I hope the UK can get a simular coaster to this in the near future, I'll have to start saving to visit this park.

Thunderhead and this are the best design's for a Woodie.

What company is going to be the 1st to do a "Corkscrew" inversion on a woodie as SOB has the loop.. I recon it will be S&S Power.