TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

Well, may as well mention the death of Iron Mike Sharpe, "Canada's Greatest Athlete."

Here's a video with two dead professional wrestlers: Iron Mike and Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Iron Mike Sharpe used to run a wrestling school in New Jersey and my friends occasionally ended up at the same bar as him. They said he was the nicest guy.

^ It always seems, to me, that that's the case with a lot of wrestlers.

Look mean as hell, and "wrestle" like-wise, but thoroughly sickly

sweet teddy bears when they're not throwing each other around.

And they're family guys too, who really love their families.

Abe Vigoda, the beloved actor known for playing Det. Fish on Barney Miller and mobster Sal Tessio in The Godfather, and for weathering years of mistaken reports about his death, died in his sleep in New Jersey on Tuesday, January 26, at the age of 94.

He was awesome on Barney Miller! RIP

I found some more on Vigoda...

Character Actor Abe Vigoda Dead at 94

Stage and screen favorite Abe Vigoda died in Woodland Park, New Jersey, on January 26, aged 94. According to the AP, the cause of death was old age. Perhaps best known for his portrayal of an ill-fated Mafioso in The Godfather and the detective Phil Fish in the 1970s TV show Barney Miller, Vigoda made his Broadway debut in 1967 in The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat… His additional Main Stem credits included Arsenic and Old Lace and Tough to Get Help. Vigoda is survived by his daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs, grandchildren Jamie, Paul and Steven, and a great-grandson.

Seriously, he 'debuted' on Broadway in Marat/Sade? Call me very impressed.

This was on Tuesday but Colin Vearncombe AKA "Black" died due to injuries sustained in a car crash earlier in the month. Link.

I had kind of forgotten how the music video of one of his songs (probably the most known one) features a park.

• 2 weeks later...
Record producer Sir George Martin, known as the "fifth Beatle", has died, aged 90.

His family thanked "everyone for their thoughts, prayers and messages of support" after his death at home on Tuesday, his manager said.

Beatles drummer Ringo Starr broke the news on Twitter and led tributes, saying Sir George "will be missed".

Sir George signed the Beatles and produced more than 700 records.

He also worked with artists including Gerry and the Pacemakers, Shirley Bassey and Cilla Black.

Probably should add Ray Tomlinson to this list. He may have not been a celebrity, but he created that wonderful communication tool we all take for granted today: email. It's crazy that the first emails were in 1971! It didn't hit mainstream culture until twenty years later.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Howard, AKA The White Shadow.....

Kenneth Joseph "Ken" Howard, Jr. was an American actor, best known for his roles as Thomas Jefferson in 1776 and as basketball coach and former Chicago Bulls player Ken Reeves in the television show The White Shadow.