TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

Scott "I still don't understand how this comes as a shock to anyone" B.

The answer....

The only shock that came to me was hearing he died, not the way he died.

Here here Eric!!! Yes and that is why I was shocked too! The other reason to support that was he did seem invincible! Knowing what he does and to survive this long gave him that superhuman persona. So yes it was a shock hearing he died.

On the other hand like I wrote before it was no SURPRISE because of his lifestyle. The way he died was no shock or surprise to me. Especially if he was doing a show on "oceans deadliest". It most proved deadliest for sure.

Well it is sad esp. for his kids but like many said Stingrays are not dangerous animals in the least. So it is very shocking that that is how he died considering all the "extremely dangerous" animals he encounters everyday.

kind of like a stuntman falling down the stairs at his home and dying.

JEFF

I always said there were two things I wouldn't be shocked about if I turned on the TV in the morning and saw:

1. Crocodile Hunter dies in some animal related accident.

2. Catastophic failure of one of the rides on the Stratosphere Tower.

I can cross one off the list!

--Robb

Jesus, Robb, have some compassion!

I wouldn't think anyone's death is a ......

I find it sad and actually somewhat amusing that he died like that, filming a show called The Ocean's Deadliest or something similar to that and that he was an expert in that field, but it is sad to see him go. Few TV personalities also had the actual experience and knowledge to back up what they say, but he was one of them.

Steve Irwin was an idol to me. When I first watched his show, it was to see all the crazy antics he did with the animals, avoiding injury each and every time. Over time I began to appreciate his work and his message he was trying to bring forth on his show. I really am upset I will never get the chance to meet the guy, but I know his memory will live on in reruns and his cheesy, but yet hilarious motion picture from 2002.

It's obviously not a shock that this had happen. But the simple fact that he is gone it very hard to swallow. This is a very sad day for me.

Rest in Peace mate! Crocs Rule!

I posted back at the beginning of this topic only on what had happened, not how I felt, as I was still trying to figure that out.

Let me start by address some of the things posted in the last 7 pages...

First thing is I think that Steve is laughing his arse off at the "Thumbs" picture. He was well know for his humor, and I think that one he would have liked enough to want a copy.

Second thing, is that Steve himself said in one of the last interviews he did, that he fully expected to die on the job, but he always stated he would die for the animals, as he loved them that much, second only to his family.

As for the "Baby Bob in the croc pen" incident a couple of years ago, what the media did not state or show, is that he was surrounded by helpers in that pen, and when feeding the croc, there was one within arms reach of Bob, should anything go wrong. (This was shown on home video of ppl there about 4 days later). I think if anything did happen on that day, Steve would have gone first and let nothing happen to Bob.

On a personal note, I think that Australia has lost one of it's favorite sons and while he will be missed for years to come, his ideals and legacy will continue for decades into the future.

As for those who did not like him, that is your right as a free minded person, he often said that he was not out to make friends, but to open our minds to animals and the environment around us, and that is all that matters.

P.S I forgot to mention, he was in the area filming a doco for the world deadliest marine creatures, but due to poor weather, they stopped and Steve went looking for some footage of the "Pussycats of the Ocean" (Sting Rays) for his 8yr daughters series on the Discovery channel. According to reports, there have only been 20 deaths worldwide by stingrays, only 2 in Australia.

^ Excellent post. Thank you for that.

The answer....

Here here Eric!!! Yes and that is why I was shocked too!

If anything, I'd say it's just the opposite of that. If there's any shock associated with this this story, it comes from the manner of death, and not the fact that he died on the job.

Those of you making crass remarks about how this should have been expected should damn well read about what happened... This is a freak accident and people film around rays without worrying about it plenty. The sad fact is that had the barb of the stingray hit anywhere else the guy would have almost certainly been living... Have a freaking heart please... Especially for his children Bindi 8 and Bob 2... Now they have no father...

That said he was always fun to watch because he was so enthusiastic about everything he did. Heck Robb's enthusiasm for coasters is largely the same sort of thing... I guess that is probably why I am here in the first place...

This is a horrible accident and it is very sad that we have all lost an amazing personality and a caring if occasionally misguided father to two very cute kids... My heart goes out to all that are involved in this... Thanks for all the fun Steve and may your memory go on...

Thank you for saying that. Most folks probably don't have the slightest idea of Steve Irwin's skill set. He might have looked half crazy doing what he was doing , but he knew what he was doing, and in his mind he was definately on guard. Now if it was myself out there playing with snakes and crocs, my number would be up to be drawn.

^ Excellent post. Thank you for that.

The answer....

Here here Eric!!! Yes and that is why I was shocked too!

If anything, I'd say it's just the opposite of that. If there's any shock associated with this this story, it comes from the manner of death, and not the fact that he died on the job.

It's cool man I respect your view on this. We all have our ways of seeing things. As you can see some are more hurt then others and some are like ok it's just another death! It really truely doesn't matter how or why it was shocking or not but what does matter is that he died. He died doing what he loved best! To me that is the way to go!! Like for Robb or Elissa dying on a coaster. (Intamin preferably )

Despite his onscreen persona, he was a very intelligent and educated man. I'm sure he also had fun with the image he created, and was willing to laugh about it, as we are here. You guys trying to defend him to the death need to simmer down a bit. We poke some fun, but yet, none of this is mailcious in any way. It'd be a completely different story if the guy went around bragging about how he defied death, now wouldn't it?

Actually that 'on screen persona' that you are referring to was not an act at all. Reading and listening to the many tributes that have been flowing in across the media over the last couple of days, one thing that I have become aware of that I was not before, is that that was his personality. Seems to be one of the defining characteristics that made him so unique.

I didn't think much of him tbh. The crowning moment when I lost faith in his mental-stability was the incident with his son and that crocodile at feeding time. I thought his shows were abissmal and his attitude was just so cringe-worthy.

South Park hit the mark with their parody

The crowning moment I can think of was when he dropped some film down an old mine shaft in the middle of the outback. Instead of letting it go he puts on a climbing harness to go get it. On his way out the whole shaft collapses, nearly killing him. Then he shows the camera these lizards he saved, as blood is streaming out of his hand.

I'm baffled how he could survive crazy stuff like that, and yet die in such an innocent way.

I'm kind of bummed by all of the flowers and balloons at his zoo. I would have hoped that his family/managers would have setup a fund to donate to Animal Conservation or something like that instead of wasting money on flowers.

If anyone hears of something like that, be sure to post it!

Those of you making crass remarks about how this should have been expected should damn well read about what happened... This is a freak accident and people film around rays without worrying about it plenty. The sad fact is that had the barb of the stingray hit anywhere else the guy would have almost certainly been living... Have a freaking heart please... Especially for his children Bindi 8 and Bob 2... Now they have no father...

That said he was always fun to watch because he was so enthusiastic about everything he did. Heck Robb's enthusiasm for coasters is largely the same sort of thing... I guess that is probably why I am here in the first place...

This is a horrible accident and it is very sad that we have all lost an amazing personality and a caring if occasionally misguided father to two very cute kids... My heart goes out to all that are involved in this... Thanks for all the fun Steve and may your memory go on...

Very well said. Steve Irwin wasn't "The Grizzly Man" who had no clue what he was doing and thought he could be friends with bears....

Elissa, Steve and Teri had set up www.wildlifewarriors.org , and the local media are asking that any donations go to this site. Please don't worry if you find it down, as it has crashed many times over the last couple of days.

While my family and I visit Australia's Zoo at least 5-6 times a year, it will not seem like the same place without been able to bump into Steve running around the park, even though I am sure his spirit will live on in that place well past my time on this planet.

And to confirm what people have said, when you have had the chance to meet Steve away from the park and the camera's, as I once did, you realise it is no act on the TV...that's just Steve.

Thanks Bloke for the memories.