TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

^ And he wrote one (or more) Broadway scores, too. The main one that comes to mind,

is the adaptation of the movie "Cry Baby." That's the one that he was TONY-nominated, for.

Only 52. Sad.

TONYawardsCouple.jpg.6e3b3a27ce3027a2c24055ff210d3903.jpg

Schlesinger and Rachel Bloom at Broadway's TONYs.

Bill Withers, 81.

Singer of "Ain't No Sunshine," and the classic "Lean On Me," which has

(now) become an international song of hope during the pandemic.

Honor Blackman, who played James Bond's Pussy Galore in 1964's "Goldfinger", dies at 94.

Blackman's family said in a statement Monday that she died peacefully of natural causes at her home in Lewes, in southeastern England.

HonorBlackman.jpg.63ad885aeea0e815582bd5b06e5026c2.jpg

Musician Adam Schlesinger, age 52, from COVID-19. Best known to me as a member of Fountains of Wayne and their hit song "Stacy's Mom".

And TONY-nominated for his Broadway musical score of the movie, CRY-BABY. Speaking of which...

CryBabytheMusical.jpg.eb9c4b5568fd581511794fc9022ee733.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
NASHVILLE — Little Richard, the self-proclaimed “architect of rock ‘n’ roll” whose piercing wail, pounding piano and towering pompadour irrevocably altered popular music while introducing black R&B to white America, died Saturday after battling bone cancer. He was 87.

LittelRichard.jpg.d5c2cd120533c6a03b2e6c2392b83e49.jpg

Good Golly, Miss Molly! )o:

NASHVILLE — Little Richard, the self-proclaimed “architect of rock ‘n’ roll” whose piercing wail, pounding piano and towering pompadour irrevocably altered popular music while introducing black R&B to white America, died Saturday after battling bone cancer. He was 87.

who turned into a raging homophobe (again), a few years ago.

good riddance.

https://www.advocate.com/people/2017/10/06/little-richard-once-gay-now-antigay-again

Wow - I never knew that about Little Richard. Sounds like he definitely had some real conflict going on in his life....or he had a really bad gay experience so decided to come out against us all as a result. Yikes.

Jerry Stiller - dead at 92.

I have been binge-watching Seinfeld during this pandemic and just watched the Festivus episode last week. Too funny!

LINK

• 2 weeks later...

Larry Kramer, Noted Playwright & Trailblazing AIDS Activist, Dies at 84.

Kramer was best known for his play "The Normal Heart" which won a Best Play Revival TONY,

and was subsequently filmed by Ryan Murphy, with the Revival cast, including Jim Parsons,

Zachary Quinto, and Matt Bomer.

And for starting up the Gay Men's Health Services in New York, followed by ACT UP.

^ he was INCREDIBLY polarizing.

but as I said on my FB

"Love him, Hate him, or Despise him. . . he made a difference, and I'll forever be thankful that he was here."

R.I.P. Larry Kramer.

ACT UP! FIGHT BACK! FIGHT AIDS!

• 2 weeks later...

^ We met him, back in 1979, during a New York visit. He was at a table in Greenwich Village, offering info.about "what was happening medically" in the USA. "It" wasn't called AIDS, yet. We also met Cleve Jones (who eventually started the AIDS Quilt and was a good friend of Harvey Milk), during that trip, on the train down to DC, for a massive rally and march in general, for civil rights, etc. Nothing about AIDS, at that time, back then.

And the "International" rep was about 30 or so of us, all there.

• 2 weeks later...
Joel Schumacher. Say what you will about Batman and Robin but Phone Booth is awesome

oh. .any film other than the Batman ones (which, sorry, were dreadful)? he was a brilliant director.

he also did "St Elmo's Fire" and "the Lost Boys". . both of which were also awesome, tho "the Lost Boys" being a genre film, I liked best of his films