TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

We lost one of the true originals from this world today.

holly.jpg

R.I.P. Holly Woodlawn

(for those who aren't familiar, she was one of Warhol's Superstars, and was also one of the subjects (along with other Warhol Superstars Candy Darling and Joe Delleasandro) of Lou Reed's hit song "Walk on the Wild Side"

Holly came from Miami F.L.A.

Hitch-hiked her way across the U.S.A.

Plucked her eyebrows on the way

Shaved her legs and then he was a she

She said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side,

Said, hey honey, take a walk on the wild side.

Scott Weiland - singer of Stone Temple Pilots is dead at 48.

I don't listen to much of his kind of music; had barely heard enough STP to know that I probably would like them, and have somehow skipped over Velvet Revolver. But I noticed a lot of fans' posts on Twitter, and their sadness made me sad. At my last show, one band dedicated their set to Scott, and another orchestrated a surprisingly successful moment of silence. Many shoutouts went out last night to enthusiastic applause, for whatever it's worth.

^ Laura - it looks like you and I like a lot of the same types of music so I would bet that you would probably like a lot of STP tunes!

I had a chance to see STP in Niagara Falls back around 2011 when they got back to together, but I decided not to go for whatever reason. Probably a good thing, because the review stated that Scott was wasted and he really stunk the place up, which was sad.

So much talent, but yet so many problems with drugs & booze. Just sad to see such talented musicians fall from grace like that. Scott, Jimi, Janis, Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon, Kurt Cobain...the list goes on and on.

While I don't care for ALL of STP's stuff, they certainly cranked out a lot of gems - many of which were never played in heavy rotation on the radio or MTV (back in the day). My personal favorite album is 'Tiny Music - Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop'. Also, their 'Thank You' greatest hits CD with the bonus DVD is good as well as their "comeback" self titled album.

I really like a lot of their videos and still watch them on occasion - some are very artistically & beautifully done.

Fave vids (all on You Tube):

* Hello, It's Late

* Lady Picture Show

* Wicked Garden

* Trippin' On A Paper Hole In My Heart

* Interstate Love Song

* Plush (Acoustic version)

* Sour Girl

* Big Bang Baby....just to name a few

Capture.JPG.56c80fe2ba3efea16aa8f3a878af61ee.JPG

RIP Scott Weiland

One of the American Horror Story casts recently passed away.

Rose Siggins, American Horror Story: Freak Show actress, dies at 43

Many postings from her AHS:Freaks family. RIP Rose.

rose-siggins.jpg.017a2d062807f9aa25fc008123d52c68.jpg

Rose Siggins -a wonderful actress on that version of AHS.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news. He was in rough shape, and not an age that most people would call "young," but this still hit me. I'm still learning about what a fascinating person he was, and I love the heavy dose of rock'n'roll in Motorhead's music. It's too bad, but more than understandable, that the band is over.

^^ I wasn't either, but you are right in that he had an icon-like status in the music world as he paved the way for a lot of heavy/speed/thrash metal bands in the 80's & 90's.

I found it amazing that he was still doing tours just weeks before he died.

^ Yes, I recall reading an article that said that he really liked his Jack Daniels and I think that he was quite a heavy smoker too. So I guess that 70 isn't too bad for the amount of partying that I heard that he did along the way.

Natalie Cole {Grammy winning singer and daughter of the late Nat 'King' Cole}

RIP

And Wayne Rogers {from the first years of tv's M.A.S.H}

RIP

NatalieCole.jpg.99462227821212fa100b0f3dc858b28b.jpg

Natalie Cole, off to ride that Pink Cadillac in the sky.

• 2 weeks later...
So sad. He just released a new album, too.

apparently, the album was complete in early 2015, and he worked on the videos and album release knowing he was terminal.

he planned them as a "goodbye gift" to his fans, hence the release 2 days prior to his death.

(that's per the Bowie management)

apparently, the album was complete in early 2015, and he worked on the videos and album release knowing he was terminal.

he planned them as a "goodbye gift" to his fans, hence the release 2 days prior to his death.

Hadn't heard this. Warren Zevon released an album called "My Ride's Here," which rather eerily preceded his being diagnosed with cancer (the title song has to do with dying). But he lived long enough to record "The Wind," as well.

We were lucky, we got to see him in three shows, here:

Thin White Duke Tour

Serious Moonlight Tour

Glass Spider Tour

And he liked Vancouver so much to perform in, he actually started a couple of these tours in Vancouver.

And later came back to a smaller venue and filmed the concert for the (then) VHS tapes. Now in DVD and Blue Ray I'm sure.

Hadn't heard this. Warren Zevon released an album called "My Ride's Here," which rather eerily preceded his being diagnosed with cancer (the title song has to do with dying). But he lived long enough to record "The Wind," as well.

here's the link (and info was provided to the Telegraph by Bowie's estate)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12092542/Bowies-last-album-was-parting-gift-for-fans-in-carefully-planned-finale.html?fb_ref=Default

Such a sad, shocking day for rock & roll.

I just read the review of his new album in the Buffalo News last weekend and was thinking that this sounded like something that I might like. I wished that I could have gotten the chance to see one of his live shows as I had heard that he was an amazing live performer.

Ha! I just realized...

Every holiday season, like clockwork, no matter which radio station (except all news) you listened to, there was at least one playing of Bowie and Bing Crosby's tv version of "The Little Drummer Boy" (with "Peace on Earth" as Bowie's alternate duet piece) for a Christmas special.

Gets me every time. Now next time - I'll be sad, but glad they did it, as wierd as it first sounded.

bowiecrosbyXmas.jpg.9c5efe4197fde8b87933e98036038755.jpg

They weren't too sure of the other when they met for tv. 1977 - And it was broadcast three months after Crosby's passing.

Edited by Nrthwnd