TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/maurice-sendak-obit/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Maurice Sendak, author of Where the Wild Things Are passed away. It's so strange reading this because he was on the Colbert Report a few months ago, and he was so lively. But his book is such a piece of creativity. He will be missed.

I had just started getting into Beastie Boys literally about a week or two ago.. And hearing this just as I'm starting to really like them is very strange.. Tragic is well. Hard to see it. Listening to their new album MCA still sounds so young!

Carroll Hall Shelby, the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/auto-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1

Sad day for the auto industry. He has done so much and was one of, if not the only designers to have significant impacts on each of the Big 3 Auto companies here in the US.

http://jalopnik.com/5909688/the-probably-true-story-of-how-carroll-shelby-really-died

Carroll Hall Shelby, the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia.

Donna Summer died today of Cancer.

Legendary disco singer Donna Summer died Thursday after a battle with cancer, sources close to the singer confirmed to FoxNews.com.

Summer, 63, was a 5-time Grammy winner whose hits dominated the charts in the 1970s. Her songs like “Last Dance,” “Bad Girls” and “Hot Stuff” were among the decade’s most successful.

She continued topping charts into the 1980s, with hits like “She Works Hard for the Money” and“This Time I Know It’s for Real.”

She is survived by her husband, singer and producer Bruce Sudano, their daughters, Brooklyn and Amanda and Summer's daughter, Mimi, from a previous marriage.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/17/disco-queen-donna-summer-dead-at-63-report-says/#ixzz1v96Ileo0

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/17/disco-queen-donna-summer-dead-at-63-report-says/

Bad week for disco!

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died following a lengthy battle with cancer, his family have said.

British-born Gibb, 62, had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.

In a statement, Gibb's family said they were announcing his death with "great sadness".

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini described the singer as "one of the major figures in the history of British music".

The Beegees notched up record sales of more than 200 million since their first hits in the 1960s.

'Monumental accomplishments'

"Everyone should be aware that the Bee Gees are second only to Lennon and McCartney as the most successful songwriting unit in British popular music," said Gambaccini.

"Their accomplishments have been monumental.

"Not only have they written their own number one hits, but they wrote huge hit records for Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, the list goes on and on.

"What must also be said is Robin had one of the best white soul voices ever. He was singing lead on his first number one when he was 17, that was Massachusetts."

'With sadness'

Gibb's family said in a statement: "The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

Gibb's twin brother and band partner Maurice died in 2003 at the age of 53 following complications from a twisted intestine.

Last month, the singer fell into a coma after contracting pneumonia but a week later he regained consciousness.

Gibb's son Robin-John said at the time: "They (doctors) gave him an under 10% survival chance and he has beaten the odds... he really is something else."

The singer was diagnosed with cancer of the colon after having surgery on his bowel 18 months ago for an unrelated condition.

He was later diagnosed with cancer of the liver, and underwent chemotherapy and surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3b9gOtQoq4

I remember me and David seeing the very first screen run of

"Saturday Night Fever" in Seattle. We had to line up outside

the theater 'back then,' when most movie theaters only showed

their films evenings. Usually a 7pm-something and

a 9:30 or ten-ish showing. But no afternoon showings, yet.

You could feel the lineup's anticipation of this movie. It was

Travolta's first big screen role since his Welcome Back Kotter

tv and Broadway days. And he got the Oscar nom for Best Actor too!

But the movie was the Gibbs' music, all the way. We were

never one for disco, but we certainly enjoyed this new

sound score of theirs, on the big screen. And I believe they

won the Oscar for Original Score. It sure was original, back then.

RIP Robin.

• 2 weeks later...

The list of 70's stars keeps rising...

Richard Dawson, the British actor and comedian best known for kissing every female contestant he could get his hands on in the television game show "Family Feud," has died his son said Sunday.

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered," Gary Dawson said in a posting on Facebook.

Dawson hit fame playing a British prisoner of war in the the bizarre 1960s comedy show "Hogan's Heroes," which made out his Nazi captors as benevolent bumblers. He later became a regular on game shows, titillating audiences with just-this-side-of-dirty innuendos on "Match Game" and then, most prominently, as host of "Family Feud," in which two families competed to see which one could more accurately predict Americans' answers to odd survey questions.

Dawson hosted "Family Feud" from 1976 to 1985 and again from 1988 to 1995. He won an Emmy award in 1978.

Dawson, who lived in Beverly Hills, Calif., married one of the contestants he met on the show, Gretchen Johnson, in 1991. She survives him, as does their daughter, Shannon. He is also survived by two sons, Gary and Mark Dawson, from his previous marriage to Hollywood starlet Diana Dors.

Ray Bradbury died today--he was 91. I had the pleasure of hearing me speak at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo back in my old college days, and he was hilarious and fascinating to listen to. I doubt we'll see another writer quite like him again.

^Late last night, I spent some time researching and reading Ray Bradbury. He's my favorite author, but it's been several months since I last completed any of his works ("Somewhere a Band is Playing," which I think I need to revisit soon, and "Leviathan '99"). Apparently I did all my searching before the news broke.

It may be cliched to suddenly give someone lots of attention and appreciation following their death, but I think I'll rededicate myself to reading (and re-reading) more of his books and stories. I'd been planning to, anyway.

Rest in peace.

Cotton Owens Dead: NASCAR Hall Of Famer Dies At 88

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- NASCAR Hall of Famer Cotton Owens died Thursday morning. He was 88.

Kimberly Meesters of the NASCAR Hall of Fame confirmed Owens passing through his family. Meesters only said Owens died peacefully. She says there would be additional details this afternoon.

Owens, who lived in Spartanburg, was a NASCAR pioneer who was part of the Hall's class of 2013, announced two weeks ago in Charlotte. He'll be inducted along with Rusty Wallace, Leonard Wood and the late Buck Baker and Herb Thomas.

Owens won nine times on NACAR's top circuit. He was perhaps better known as an owner, fielding cars for Hall of Fame drivers like Junior Johnson and David Pearson. In all, Owens had 41 wins and 38 poles in 487 races as an owner

RIP Cottom Owens,a true legend and early pioneer of Nascar.