TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mega Dead Celebrity Thread

I'm just wondering why everyone is saying that Steve Jobs changed their lives. For me, Steve Jobs did nothing for me, I never bought an Apple product and when one of my relatives had an iPod, it was nice but it got way too small where there is only a screen. I'm really big for innovation, though for me, Steve Jobs did nothing. This is my opinion that I'm expressing and I respect every opinion posted, just some I don't agree with.

^I don't like Apple either, but your opinion is wrong.

The work Steve Jobs did in bringing GUI to the masses on the PC changed everyone's lives.

LLO...you can't say someone's opinion is wrong, that's just not how it works. The guy said Steve Jobs did nothing for him. How is that wrong? I agree with him in respect that the Apple company didn't really do much for me; much of it was overpriced, under-performing equipment. I see Steve Jobs as an innovator in marketing. That's pretty much it. What did he do besides trick people into buying a barely different product every six months? He made a slight difference in interface design, but that's hardly a reason to make the guy a deity. Taking a step back and looking at it objectively, all he did was put a touch screen on something which really only paid off because they were such a huge company that had the money to make it plus the cult following after the iMac 1 and the classic iPod. Those were basically huge products all because of the product design lifted straight from dieter rams 40 years ago.

I'm just annoyed at the throngs of people who sweat apple so hard just because they make some phone that does pretty much everything every other phone makes, just a clever advertising scheme.

Apple revolutionized the music industry, there's no denying that. With the addition of iTunes, although I don't like it, where you could buy individual songs legally at a relatively cheap price, Apple exploded.

I give him credit however for financing Pixar when no one else would. I appreciate that. Possibly my favorite thing to come from Jobs.

I'm not diminishing him as a human, there are just some people who have a huge hard on for Steve Jobs because of his 'revolutionary' tech ideas. I disagree. He knew how to market his products. That's about it.

Rest in Peace

I'm not diminishing him as a human, there are just some people who have a huge hard on for Steve Jobs because of his 'revolutionary' tech ideas. I disagree. He knew how to market his products.
Jobs is listed as either primary inventor or co-inventor in 338 US patents or patent applications related to a range of technologies from actual computer and portable devices to user interfaces (including touch-based), speakers, keyboards, power adapters, staircases, clasps, sleeves, lanyards and packages.

How many patents (and subsequent market share of such devices as the iPod, iPhone and iPad) does it take to be a revolutionary innovator?

I'm not crazy ab out the Mac hysteria either, and I do agree he is a hell of a marketer, but I won't deny him his due praises for his innovations.

I'm just annoyed at the throngs of people who sweat apple so hard just because they make some phone that does pretty much everything every other phone makes, just a clever advertising scheme.

I'm not one to "sweat the guy," but this comment is rather shortsighted. What came first, the iPhone "revolution," or every other smart phone on the market that is trying to eat into Apple's market share?

I'm not diminishing him as a human, there are just some people who have a huge hard on for Steve Jobs because of his 'revolutionary' ideas. I disagree. He was a marketing genius. That's about it.

Personally, this is what I'd rather focus on. In my personal opinion, just based on what I've read over the years, the guy seemed to be kind of a douche. His micromanaging skills, while they certainly produced results, are rather questionable. And while we're on the subject of pioneers that "changed the world," Bill Gates runs circles around the guy when it comes to philanthropic endeavors. That, in my opinion, is the true mark of a great human.

Personally, this is what I'd rather focus on. In my personal opinion, just based on what I've read over the years, the guy seemed to be kind of a douche. His micromanaging skills, while they certainly produced results, are rather questionable. And while we're on the subject of pioneers that "changed the world," Bill Gates runs circles around the guy when it comes to philanthropic endeavors. That, in my opinion, is the true mark of a great human.

Yea, look at this:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/28/steve-jobs-car-has-no-license-plates/

Here’s a random fact of the day: Steve Jobs drives a Mercedes SL55 AMG, with no license plates. Instead there’s just a plate frame with a little barcode in the middle (apparently the bar code is standard on Mercedes). I guess Steve really doesn’t like the look of the license plate, his car has been spotted frequently around the Silicon Valley and for at least two years now it has been missing the front and rear plates. Failure to display license plates is a $250 fine in California, which makes you wonder how often he gets pulled over and ticketed for the infraction.

^I don't like Apple either, but your opinion is wrong.

The work Steve Jobs did in bringing GUI to the masses on the PC changed everyone's lives.

LLO...you can't say someone's opinion is wrong, that's just not how it works. The guy said Steve Jobs did nothing for him. How is that wrong?

Sure you can and I just did.

Unless you are a member of an indigenous tribe who has never had access to the outside world, Steve Jobs affected your life. This is a FACT!!!

The original poster is clearly not in that category as he is using technology to access the internet. This is a FACT!!!

How people interface with the internet was influenced by Steve Job? This is a FACT!!!

Therefore, the original poster has been influenced by Steve Jobs.

Unquantifiable opinions can not be "wrong", but that is not the case here.

Now if you want to argue that the original poster's opinion is not really any opinion, but just another example of someone speaking before thinking, I can not argue that.

^Absolutely agree. Macintosh revolutionized the home computer. Have you never owned a PC in your life? Steve Jobs himself revolutionized the MP3 player, which was a near-dead breed when he created the iPod and the iTunes Store, where he convinced artists to sell single songs for only a dollar. Have you never owned something that played music?

Oh, and while we're here, have you ever watched a Pixar movie? Steve Jobs was the director, and after selling the company to Disney in 2006 was its largest stockholder as well. So really, you can't tell me that he hasn't done something for you.

After all...remember that time you posted on this forum from your computer?

Posting on this site on a computer? Thank Steve Jobs. (partially anyways)

Posting on this site from an iPod Touch? Thank Steve Jobs.

Posting on this site from a smart phone? Thank Steve Jobs.

Watched a Pixar movie? Thank Steve Jobs.

I can say he has affected everyone's life in some way or another.

My opinions on Steve Jobs himself lie similar to schotj, however, I do believe that Jobs has made large improvements in the area of mobile computing and smart phones, easily more so than anyone else; as well as several important improvements to the modern computer. Although something I've been noticing as a reoccurring theme on the news is people calling Steve Jobs the next Tomas Edison, Henry Ford, or Alexander Graham Bell, which I believe it a total exaggeration. As I said I believe he did some great things, but to list him among the most important inventors of all time isn't right.

RIP Steve Jobs

I see Steve Jobs as an innovator in marketing. That's pretty much it.

Categorically untrue. Try doing some research before you post dumb stuff to the Internet.

I did do research. What part of my statement don't you agree with?

At least I supported my opinions with evidence. You make outlandish claims without anything to back it up with. That's rich. Hat's off to you man.

Okay, it's time for us to move on from talking about each other and back to talking about dead people. Thank you.

Haha, knew it. Run away back to your hole.

And schotj, no more posts like this please. Your posts in this thread seem to only be focused on stirring the pot.

Edited by ernierocker

Okay, it's time for us to move on from talking about each other and back to talking about dead people. Thank you.

Haha, knew it. Run away back to your hole.

And schotj, no more posts like this please. Your posts in this thread seem to only be focused on stirring the pot.

How so? I disagree with how some people see Steve Jobs. Then a dude comes along saying I'm trolling? I feel like it's the other way around.