TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

I was thinking about the teasing going at at Alabama Adventure, and I'm starting to think that there are too many coincidences going on...

The park produced a video (https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaAdventure/videos/580119943318299/) of Dan Koch standing in an open area next to a large object under a white sheet, with Rampage in the background. It's windy, and despite his best efforts (maybe?) you can kinda make out what looks suspiciously like a Gravity Group Timberliner car. Also the video was conveniently released on Halloween. Recently, in response to a question on Instagram the park said that they would "be revealing more" on Thanksgiving. (Image ripped from Reddit because I'm too lazy to go get my own screenshot, and this one works just as well)

image.png.e17a5cbd2fe8bfde67b4f2c5028bd9af.png

And gee, I can't think of any other independent family (whose last name starts with a "K" and ends with an "H") owned park in the US, that heavily features the holidays, and has a collection of great wooden coasters one of which happens to be built by the Gravity Group that is located in an area themed to Thanksgiving... :lol: (Oh yeah...and that certain coaster notably does NOT run Timberliners...)

This is all purely my speculation, but it just all seems a little too coincidental...

This leads me to believe that they are gonna get a Gravity Group wooden coaster of some kind for next season. I don't think this is the resurrected shuttle coaster from Dorney, I think it might be more of Dan Koch and Co. sticking it to the rest of their family...

Like I said this is just me coaster enthusiast guessing, so take it with a grain of a salt. No matter what it turns out to be we don't have too far to wait at least!

• Like 2

An overhead construction shot of the 2022 construction. Alright I'll say it, I think we HAVE to admit that this is definitely going to be a big project this time. This is a LARGE construction area. This is the former site of Zoomerang so it is too far away from the waterpark to be a waterslide of some sort. Also with its placement on top of a hill, it is kinda obvious that whatever this new attraction is is going to have to be a marquee attraction since they will need to be able to get visitors to want to go up the hill. I'm thinking either a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or a Gravity Group woodie. I will say, I do hope that it is a steel coaster, preferably one with inversions. I love Gravity Group woodies, but with their coaster selection being so small, I really think two woodies in the same park might be a bit... silly. That is unless this could potentially be a shuttle woodie. But above all, I do kinda really hope it is a Eurofighter or any coaster that inverts. 

Alabama Adventure 6.jpg

8 hours ago, LegendLover said:

I love Gravity Group woodies, but with their coaster selection being so small, I really think two woodies in the same park might be a bit... silly. 

So you are saying that it would be silly for the  same people that have presented the world with 3 top tier wooden coasters in one park to up the count to 2 in this park. . .  

spacer.png

• Like 4

Wooden coasters have lower capital costs initially, and the park already has experience and technical capabilities for taking care of their existing wooden coaster. From an operations standpoint, I could see it being very appealing to buy another wooden coaster rather than something completely different. 

Plus, the junior timberliners have proven to be pretty popular and crowd pleasing. Quassy and Kentucky Kingdom seem to have done very well with theirs. 

That's a good point. I'd be happy with a Gravity Group woodie and I'll definitely be excited to go down to ride it if that's what it is, but it would be nice to eventually have a ride that goes upside down at the park. I mean I feel like this new attraction will be a roller coaster, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it is a large-scale flat ride like a Zamperla Discovery or something. But with the site being so big and with it being in such a high-profile location in the park, I guess it would make most since that it is a coaster. I just can't believe that they are getting two back-to-back large additions. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, SteamedHams said:

Well, we have our next teaser

Official announcement on Christmas day, but confirmed not a water slide. (whew)

Also, the gift is not to size, was worried about that for a second.

image.png.6aa394c327a5b03987ecf82e5dba61ea.png

My guess is a Gravity Group shuttle with a barrel roll. 

I think a Gravity Group with a barrel roll will be my final prediction as well. I am just hoping for anything upside down at this park. Someday though, I would love to see a Gerstlauer Eurofighter where the old Shoot the Chutes used to be. I’m glad that this addition isn’t a water slide as well, but I’m willing to bet the next expansion after this one will be a water coaster in 2024. 

This is an interesting development. It looks like the Kochs are planning on lots of expansion in the park for the future. On a recent Facebook post they replied to a comment, saying that they plan on adding new rides every year for the next several years. I remember in one interview, they said that once they are ready, they are planning on heavily investing into the park to grow it. I suppose they are ready now. 

F77CD62B-AA05-4FFA-AC3E-DCB2A7159364.png

• Like 1

It seems to me that the water park is basically funding the dry side. They really built the place up over the years and have a strong following now. I wonder if they got a fresh round of investment lately or if their revenue is simply strong enough by itself to support these expansions. 

I expect most of these rides to be smaller family/kiddie rides, but that would be smart. Keep building the place up over time and eventually the demand and money will be there to support some big coasters. 

1 hour ago, SteamedHams said:

wow, see that comment gives me a lot of optimism I had lost over the past decade under the Koch regime. After how Adol- I mean Dan treated the dry park like a redhead step child, I wonder if this means water park expansion is done for now. 

I mean typically dry park rides are a lot more expensive than water slides. For the cost of a brand-new major thrill ride, you can get a decent-sized slide complex that could offer a few different experiences for guests to try. Plus I would guess that the water park is more popular amongst locals given that previous ownership found it more viable to keep the water park side open and close the dry side. You also have to take into account that they almost had to start from scratch with the dry side since the only ride left was Rampage and a couple kiddie rides. Plus looking at the timeline, it isn’t the worse expansion for a small, family-owned park. In 2014, they opened a handful of kiddie rides, they reopened Rampage in 2015, two kiddie rides in 2016, three family rides in 2018, another family ride in 2019. Now it looks like there is a large addition for 2022. They are expanding their dry park more than half Cedar Fair parks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tndank said:

That's swiss cheese. Seems to confirm a new giga from everyone's favorite swiss designers.

Nah, there's more to it than that.  The four large holes are for the height, one per 100 feet, so we're looking at a Strata.  The 7 medium holes indicate 7 inversions.  The 15 small holes mean it'll have 15 moments of airtime.  And of course, the plain white background means that it'll be a flyer.

(sarcasm, of course)

• Haha 1

There's been L&T Wild Mouse on the market for awhile now for fairly cheap - under half a million. They don't have the best capacity or ride experience, but as a cheap coaster it hits the spot. Either that or one of those cheap fabbri or Reverchon spinners. 

Could be a surprise though and they use a mouse theme for a family wood coaster or something. 

9 minutes ago, tndank said:

Interesting. Been trying to get that credit for a few years now. 

Not sure that brings a bunch of people to the park but better than nothing?

Agree, this feels like a nothing addition. A GG family woodie would have been a better choice for both the short and long term.