TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Alabama Adventure has been saying that they have a big announcement for later this week. I don't know about you guys, but I feel like they are about to add a new ride or slide, or maybe both. Maybe they picked up a couple flats from either Kennywood, Lake Compounce, or Idlewild. I could totally see them getting the Wipeout from Lake Compounce. It would definitely look great being set in the center of the plaza at the end of Main Street. 

Note: I don't know how heavily impacted the park was due to COVID. They did postpone their opening by a week (since they normally don't open until early Summer), but I didn't know how attendance levels may have dropped or not. 

3 hours ago, WolfBobs said:

^There is also the much smaller freespin version that we've seen pop up at Adventureland in Iowa. 

Whoa, I just realized there are 3 variations of the freespin coaster currently built.  The one in World Fairy Tale Land looks really stretched out. . . 

It is also important to note that an S&S Triple Launch coaster also fits within those specs. I do believe that it will be a coaster. It is no surprise that as of right now, the waterpark side is the more popular side of the park. It would be nice to see them add something substantial to the dry side to really attract more crowds over to that side of the park. Plus it'll be nice to see that kinda abandoned-looking area of the park cleaned up for this new addition. Whether it is a triple launch coaster (I really hope it is a Gale Force-style coaster), or an S&S Free Spin, or a Raptor from RMC, it will look impressive whenever guests get to that plaza and see the new coaster peek out of the trees like what the Ferris Wheel did when it was still there. 

If it isn't a roller coaster, I could see it being a taller water coaster similar to Massiv at Schlitterbahn. 

4 hours ago, domirellativegal said:

What about that new compact Intamin launch coaster?

That's a good point. Do we know the price range on those? I just figured that would be too expensive. Plus I thought that they might be turned off of an Intamin due to the higher maintenance costs. But yeah I'd love to see something like Sandy's Blasting Bronco, though I've heard that it has a nasty rattle. 

• Like 1

Theme Park Predictions just released a pretty fun video talking about what they could be adding. Something fun that he pointed out is that on the same day that Alabama Adventure released that teaser, Premier Rides sent out a post that had two large objects wrapped up under a tarp with the caption "Who doesn't love a mystery?" I think they'll be getting a Sky Rocket II. It definitely would look imposing on the skyline. 

• Like 1

As a coaster enthusiast, I would prefer the Gale Force-style coaster just since it feels more unique and different, but either would fit perfectly at the park! The closest Sky Rocket II to Alabama Adventure is Tigris at Busch Gardens. I think that this new coaster will finally start bringing more crowds from the water park to the dry park. Plus it will overall just start making the park feel more well-rounded with two major coasters, four adult family rides, and then plenty of small rides for the children. 

• 3 weeks later...

The park just confirmed via their most recent post that the new addition will be an addition onto the waterpark. At first, I was a little disappointed, but this will be great for the park! I don't feel like the addition will be long and slender like the box, rather I feel like the box is supposed to show the general area that the attraction will go in. I feel like this addition either has to be a water coaster or a massive slide complex since it will be the largest addition in park history. Personally, I hope it is a large waterslide complex. I don't necessarily hope that it is a drop box slide complex since the park already has a straight-down speed slide, so I think there are some more gaps to fill before another large thrill slide is added. I'd like to see a complex like the ProSlide one at Beech Bend that has a bowl slide, a small wall slide, a tantrum slide, as wall as one with saucer turns. 

It makes sense that a waterslide would be the addition for 2021 since, as of right now, the waterpark is still the main draw. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an off year in 2022, and then a roller coaster in 2023. I'm still thinking that the former site of Buzzsaw Falls will be the location of the park's next coaster, and I'm still thinking it will be a Hydrus-style Eurofighter. 

Personally, what I have always wanted to see at this park is a huge water fortress that features multiple large body slides, kinda like the one at Cowabunga Bay Utah. The current water fortress they have is old and small. A new, larger fortress in that corner of that park would give that area a nice anchor attraction that could keep guests busy for a long period of time. Plus they could convert the old queue for the log flume into some cabanas for people to watch their families from. In the place where the former water fortress was, they could build a new bar with a covered patio and such. Profits on alcohol-selling locations at theme parks are crazy, and putting one right in that high-traffic area could be beneficial to the park. 

All that being said, it probably won't happen, and I'm willing to bet that this'll be a water coaster, which will no doubt be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Who else woke up early to catch the announcement of the new attraction? I'm not gonna post anything about the name or exactly what it is just in case an admin wants to make an official post for it, but I would just like to say that I think a lot of people will be disappointed with this announcement. It did seem rather hyped up. They've been teasing this addition for over a month, touting it as the largest addition since the park's opening, and what came just seems a bit.... small. Not a roller coaster, not a thrill ride, and not a water coaster. At least this does open up the park to a new area of expansion. Plus it will be a fun, family-thrill slide and it will probably keep guests in the park for at least half an hour longer since it does have that reridability factor. Not to mention that it is bold of them to be doing any investing in the park when there is so much uncertainity right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Rocket Racer, the new for 2021 waterslide complex, will very likely be the Twisted Six waterslide from Hydro Adventures in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. The slide is a White Water West Whizzard Mat Racer that was first built at Hydro Adventures in 2014. Just a couple months ago, the park posted on Facebook that current ownership was looking for a new owner for the park. Kaspersetz Slide Studios on YouTube posted the promotional video for the slide with the caption that it was originally from Hydro Adventures. Earlier today, the park posted a promotional video of the slide, and one Facebook user mentioned that their husband was on the team that "went north" to disassemble the slide to bring to the park. 

That being said, along with this being the largest addition in the park's history, then I am willing to believe that the park is adding some other amenities around the area of Rocket Racer. It'll be fun to see what else comes to that part of the park! 

Yeah I noticed that comment and wondered where it was coming from. I was kind of shocked when they confirmed the slide was from White Water West since the Koch's have bought so much from ProSlide over the years. I guess the slide being used makes sense. 

21 hours ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

Yeah I noticed that comment and wondered where it was coming from. I was kind of shocked when they confirmed the slide was from White Water West since the Koch's have bought so much from ProSlide over the years. I guess the slide being used makes sense. 

Now I thought the same exact thing as you in regards to the White Water West/Proslide thing. Honestly, I really did think after Fantasy Island closed that they would pick up that Proslide Mat Racer from their waterpark. I am glad they got this Whizzard since it has more elements as well as it has more of a visual appeal. That slide from Hydro Adventures definitely still looks pretty fresh, but I wonder if they'll do any work to repaint it or anything to make it look brand-new? It doesn't feel like you see waterslides get moved around as much as coasters.

While it may not be catered for us enthusiasts, this will be a nice addition for them. The water park is their bread and butter, and it is good that they are capitalizing on that as much as possible.

The new roller coaster will come someday - when it makes sense for them financially.

Yeah the water park to amusement park ratio is probably what it should have been from day 1. I cannot believe they opened with the two kids water areas, the lazy river, and the 4 tube slides and didn't expand it until it was sold before 2003. That's what should have got Larry Langford arrested 🤣

image.png.e50daf5149ac95a0ba33f8254a15d93f.png

All I saw at the end of that video.. 

Honestly this is a great addition for this park and helps them with their core business.  Also, if they saved a bunch of money by getting this used good for them too.  

1459079087_TreeMeme.thumb.png.4f800edae1d927e4587fb2a096b47e4a.png

If we are doing memes now: ^^^ Dan Koch every time an amusement park/water park closes.

Examples:

1. Various kiddie rides from Gillian's Funland in 2014
  2. Scrambler and Tilt-A-Whirl from Lakemont Park in 2018
  3. YoYo from Lake City Amusement Park(?) in 2018
  4. Galleon from Bowcraft in 2019
  5. Rocket Racer from Hydro Adventures in 2021

I'm still hoping that they pick up Scandia Screamer.