TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

I attended the event last night and it was great!

First, I'd like to say that Dan, Pat and the entire team from the park involved in the event were so nice and very passionate.

As for Rampage...

WOW. I rode Rampage back in 2008 and thought it was a pretty good coaster (maybe top 10 worthy for a lot of people that don't have a ton of wooden coaster credits). Last night was a new experience. Rampage was absolutely insane! I've been on almost every wooden coaster on the east coast, Midwest, Texas, Florida and California and Rampage is very easily near if not in my top 5!

Anyone who can get down to Birmingham should stop by the park, support it and experience Rampage! Hey it's only and 2.5 hour side trip from SFOG!

I don't know when I'll ever come by the area (probably coming from Atlanta to hit this and Spring Valley Beach water park someday), but I'd love to get a ride on Rampage. It looks like an epic coaster considering its location! Sounds great!

I attended the event last night and it was great!

First, I'd like to say that Dan, Pat and the entire team from the park involved in the event were so nice and very passionate.

As for Rampage...

WOW. I rode Rampage back in 2008 and thought it was a pretty good coaster (maybe top 10 worthy for a lot of people that don't have a ton of wooden coaster credits). Last night was a new experience. Rampage was absolutely insane! I've been on almost every wooden coaster on the east coast, Midwest, Texas, Florida and California and Rampage is very easily near if not in my top 5!

Anyone who can get down to Birmingham should stop by the park, support it and experience Rampage! Hey it's only and 2.5 hour side trip from SFOG!

I'm so glad that Rampage is running so well. Looks like I've got to go to Alabama next year and ride it!

Yeah, it was running really well. It's much much smoother than before (but not glass smooth - still has some jolts here and there). It's crazy intense though, especially the laterals in the last part of the ride. The back seat has a few drops with ejector air time. Definitely a top 15 or 20 woodie, about on par with rides like Thunderhead, Boardwalk Bullet, and Kentucky Rumbler.

And great to see Dan and Pat Koch back in action! They have such passion, and I think they'll make the park successful.

I got back from a Weekend Trip to Rip Roaring Rampage and rode Rampage (#492) and Centi-Speed (#493). I rode Centispeed 2x and Rampage 26x Including 16 Times Nonstop Marathon. I'm pretty sure that was a record there but don't quote me. Other Fun Facts:

- Free Soda in 2015

- They considered RMC to retrack it but it fell out. They went with a Company in Mexico

- Dan's favorite song is Cotton Eye Joe

- Pat Koch wants a Scrambler (She loves how kids love riding it)

- Centispeed came from Gillian's Fun Land in New Jersey. It still has the Wacky Worm name on the station.

- Pat also didn't ride Rampage as far as I saw

- They were giving away Dippin Dot Tube things

- They spent $1 Million dollars refurbishing Rampage

- All the Seatbelts on Rampage are Different Lengths

- They were supposed to only go until 10pm but because I wanted to ride it 26x (Pure speculation) they extended it to 10:16pm

- The Waterpark still has alot of internal problems regarding water pipes

- Rampage has a new logo with a Rhino. I prefer the original logo. See my Avatar and You be the judge

- They were only running the red train and I didn't see the Blue train anywhere

- Still offering Pepsi Products

- He wants to hold another event in the Spring

- The turning point before the ride goes under the supports of the U-Turn is the slowest part of the ride

- There is roughly 13 moments of airtime on Rampage (Varies depending on Seat)

- I Got to ride it with Dan Koch in his Purple Suit Glory for my 9th Ride

- Rampage finishes stronger than it starts. It has a drop I like to call "The Raven Drop" that turns it from Legend to Raven

- Pat Koch recently went to Machu Picchu, Peru

- Robb, The ride has at least 5 moments of "Hairtime"

- Also got to ride it with Dan Koch's Daughter

And I made 3 ride suggestions for them to add in the future:

1. Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster (Perfect Middle Coaster between Centispeed and Rampage)

2. Sally Interactive Dark Ride (Good ride for older people who can't handle thrill rides/ Handicapped but are too tall for kids rides)

3. Proslide Hydro Magnetic Water Coaster (Marketable?)

Edited by Rollercoaster Rider

Pretty awesome that Dan gave so much info about the status of the park. Can tell they really care for the park and it's getting the much needed TLC.

Really sad to hear how bad some of the infrastructure is. I knew the ride side was obviously in rough shape, but wasn't expecting to hear that the water park has issues. Guess the previous owners really did cheap out when they were building their attractions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the park manages to pick up a couple more flat rides for next year, obviously Pat will get her wish and wouldn't be surprised if they order a brand new Eli Bridge Scrambler.

Also does anyone know if the old Cedar Point bubble fountain survived the park transition? I didn't hear what happened to it after the park went water park only.

Pretty awesome that Dan gave so much info about the status of the park. Can tell they really care for the park and it's getting the much needed TLC.

Really sad to hear how bad some of the infrastructure is. I knew the ride side was obviously in rough shape, but wasn't expecting to hear that the water park has issues. Guess the previous owners really did cheap out when they were building their attractions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the park manages to pick up a couple more flat rides for next year, obviously Pat will get her wish and wouldn't be surprised if they order a brand new Eli Bridge Scrambler.

Also does anyone know if the old Cedar Point bubble fountain survived the park transition? I didn't hear what happened to it after the park went water park only.

Pat Koch also gave some info as well (Maccu Picchu, Waterpark Infrastructure)

If you can tell me where the bubble fountain is, I can probably answer. The Weather rock is still there.

Edited by Rollercoaster Rider

Great to hear all of the great news regarding Rampage as well as the turnaround of the entire facility. The Koch Family Magic is indeed working here as it did with Holiday World. I really hope that my career in this industry puts me in touch with this family sooner rather than later, as their dedication and passion is an inspiration to everyone within the Attractions Industry.

Regarding the company behind Rampage's refurbishment:

- They considered RMC to retrack it but it fell out. They went with a Company in Mexico

They are no slouches when it comes to wooden coaster maintenance and refurbishments. Waldameer Park has contracted them for the past three years to make annual adjustments and perform re-tracking on Ravine Flyer II with their most recent work completed a few weeks ago. I'm sure Rampage has its best years ahead of itself being in the right hands of this company.

Alabama Splash Adventure is easily on my bucket list of small parks to visit someday.

It was at the end of Main Street right next to the old carousel, so I'm gonna guess it's gone now since it looks to have been replaced by some sort of structure according to Google Maps. It still shows it though on Bing Maps.

The park bought the old "afro" fountain, as some people called it, when Cedar Point removed it for the splash pad fountains that are there now. Was a nice way to get a little piece of park history, I'm just afraid that the old owners may have scrapped it when that structure (not entirely sure what it was) was built at the end of Main Street. It was a pretty cool looking feature piece, even though AA used some fairly weak pumps on it so it didn't look as spectacular as it did when it was at Cedar Point.

Yes they did. In fact when Splashdown (bowl slide) opened back in 2004 it was only open for a couple of days before its pump malfunctioned. In the short time between the purchase and opening this season they replaced several pumps in the water park but they still have a long way to go.

It was removed when the Whitewater Aqua Course was put in. I don't know how it was removed so I don't know if it would even be reusable at this point.

It was a pretty cool looking feature piece, even though AA used some fairly weak pumps on it so it didn't look as spectacular as it did when it was at Cedar Point.

It was actually built using the original plans Cedar Point had, so it used the same kind of pumps. The cause of the weaker looking flow could never be pinpointed though.

1. Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster (Perfect Middle Coaster between Centispeed and Rampage)

2. Sally Interactive Dark Ride (Good ride for older people who can't handle thrill rides/ Handicapped but are too tall for kids rides)

I would rather take a Maurer Sohne or a Mack Spinning Coaster over the Gerstlauer because you are back to back instead of face to face.For the Sally dark ride, I just don't see that coming in the next 5 years but many in 10-15 years? It just seems something that everyone would enjoy, but they really need to do other things before a dark ride. Also, for the water coaster idea, I really think that's a good idea and it is easy to market. I loved Mammoth and Wildebeest at Holiday World, so I think these will do well at the park.

I would rather take a Maurer Sohne or a Mack Spinning Coaster over the Gerstlauer because you are back to back instead of face to face.For the Sally dark ride, I just don't see that coming in the next 5 years but many in 10-15 years? It just seems something that everyone would enjoy, but they really need to do other things before a dark ride. Also, for the water coaster idea, I really think that's a good idea and it is easy to market. I loved Mammoth and Wildebeest at Holiday World, so I think these will do well at the park.

What rides do you suggest then?

Edit: Also I suggested the Dark ride cause I have a family member that has a terrible back so I try to find stuff for them to ride.

Some other things that were at least discussed (how serious I do not know)

The last GM when it was being managed by Alfa Smart Parks was interested in building a Wave Pool, Shoot the Chute (both of which would be built years later), a Mammoth slide, and a Vekoma SLC or similar ride.

The first GM when the park reopened in 2003 was really interested in a Vekoma family inverted coaster.

When Zoomerang was built it came down to either the Boomerang from Wonderland Sydney or the original Invertigo from Liseberg. The decision was made based on the Boomerang still being functional and they were able to see it running in person and the Invertigo had already been disassembled. When the park announced Zoomerang they also inflated the dollar amount they spent on the ride (sadly that particular ownership fudged several figures they released to the media).

At one point there was a member of management that was really pushing for the park to build a Skycoaster.

Both Adrenaline Family Entertainment and General Attractions looked into building an Aqualoop at various points.

The idea behind Buzzsaw Falls started when Intamin was trying to sell a small (~60 feet) version of Pilgram's Plunge had been cancelled after manufacturing had begun. When the park was able to get approval to move forward with the project the ride had already been sold. They then attempted to find a used Shoot the Chute elsewhere. This was done because they had several projects they wanted to complete at once (such as re-routing the entrance to the waterpark, add new deck area by the lazy river, etc.) and buying a used ride would allow more of these projects to be completed. None were found in decent enough shape so they then looked into finding used boats to use. Eventually the decision was made to build a new ride with new boats.

When the park was sold in January 2012 it was sold for roughly the same amount they had spent on Buzzsaw Falls in 2011. Yeah, it was that bad. If the park had not been sold there would have been big budget cuts in 2012 which could have included reducing the daily operating schedule down to six days and removing up to six rides from the theme park side, among other things.

- Rampage has a new logo with a Rhino. I prefer the original logo. See my Avatar and You be the judge

Seems you may not have been the only one, from their facebook:

OK Rampage fans, the rhino logo is OUT, and we need your help. We want YOU to design a new logo for our favorite wooden coaster. All you have to do is create a logo and email it to RampageLogo@AlabamaSplash.com. If your logo is chosen, you will receive 4 season passes or 8 one-day tickets for the 2015 season. The deadline for submissions is December 12, 2014. Thanks and good luck!

source:

• 2 months later...

Back to Splash Adventure news: over the weekend Dan Koch tweeted that the park's website had been updated with 2015 pricing, hours, etc. This includes the new park map that has Rampage back, but I noticed it does NOT have Acapulco Drop (freefall slide) on the map anymore. It is also no longer listed under attractions either.

ASA2015ParkMap.thumb.jpg.feed359a5eceb7450bf8edf9325800ea.jpg

^ Am I the only one that thinks this feels a little odd? It's mostly a water park, with a few kiddie rides, and a giant wooden roller coaster. Don't get me wrong, they gotta start somewhere and I think there are baby steps to be taken, but 2015 feels a bit "un-balanced" for the park. I do hope this is part of the longer-term plan because I'm a fan of Rampage and would love to see this park be successful!

Edited by robbalvey