TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

I'm so glad to see that Dan and his team are working so hard to bring back Rampage. It is one of the most memorable wooden rollercoasters I've ever been on (mostly because of the beating I took riding it for ERT for 1.5 hours on the Deep South trip). The layout is really fantastic as it is, so I can only imagine what the ride will be like when it is fully retracked!

I just found out that the 104-year-old Dentzel Carousel in Seasiden Heights is now facing the possibility of being dismantled and auctioned off in parts.

The current owners are trying to find this historic and spectacular carousel a new home, but if they are not able to achieve that, the other option would be to auction it off piece by piece. This means it would no longer and forever operate as a carousel, but would rather be 58 figurines in 58 different living rooms.

It would no longer be the great piece of American history it is, which is truly one of the greatest carousels ever made and is also certainly one of the greatest to have survived this long."

Today, the Dentzel Carousel is one of only approximately 150 vintage carousels still in operation in the United States. And at about 25 feet tall, 54 feet wide and 51,000 pounds - and featuring a Wurlitzer Military Band Organ in its center - it is without question one of the grandest ever made.

How wonderful it would be if this national treasure were to find a new home here at Alabama's own Splash Adventure Park!

So I am asking for all of my family and Alabama friends please contact the new owners of Alabama Splash Adventure Park...The Koch Family...and encourage them to look into bringing this treasure of a carousel to Alabama.

They could build a big Monolithic Dome to house the carousel and protect it from the weather...especially tornados.

It could be the centerpiece of the whole amusement park. They could then start looking for other old rides that need to be saved. People love amusement park nostalgia. Parents and Grandparents enjoy being able to show their children & grandchildren what they used to ride when they were young!

I so hope The Koch family will look into getting this carousel.

What a crown jewel that carousel would be for the Koch Family's park!

Thats a cool idea, but id rather see the park spend money on new, modern and thrilling rides... This looks like something that birmingham zoo should get because the already have a canopy and a generic mary go round, or possibly the galleria because its indoor.

local news reports on music fest.

http://www.abc3340.com/story/26004819/alabama-splash-adventure-hosted-christian-music-fest

in the article it says the attendance so far is at 75,000 for the season, and dan is pleased with the numbers so far. I cant decide is this good or bad considering the size of the park as it is right now; any body have any opinions on that?

http://www.abc3340.com/story/26004819/alabama-splash-adventure-hosted-christian-music-fest

in the article it says the attendance so far is at 75,000 for the season, and dan is pleased with the numbers so far. I cant decide is this good or bad considering the size of the park as it is right now; any body have any opinions on that?

I'm no expert but that sounds really low. Probably everyone (Including me) is waiting until Rampage reopens next year. Next year will probably see a huge boost.

I would say that those are good numbers, and also with August coming up they could maybe reach up to 130-150 000.

All they really have right now is a pretty crappy water park and some children rides, the coaster should boost up the attendance pretty nicely next year.

I'll echo what the previous two have said. I can see a good surge in visitors once Rampage opens, though it'd probably be wise for them to include other thrilling dry attractions for big kids and young adults to enjoy by next year for good retention/more repeat visits.

In my mind it's good considering the size of the park. I think the park might get 150,000 ish people because of Rampage reopening.

Does anyone think Dan might try to make the park a more generic "Holiday World." No theming, but just some nice rides, staff and a great atmosphere and some top-notch roller coasters?

In my mind it's good considering the size of the park. I think the park might get 150,000 ish people because of Rampage reopening.

Does anyone think Dan might try to make the park a more generic "Holiday World." No theming, but just some nice rides, staff and a great atmosphere and some top-notch roller coasters?

Agreed; reopening of the rampage will be huge! I am hoping that they plan to add several thrilling dry rides for adults, and not generic carnival style rides like they had in the passed, if they really want to keep numbers up. There are so many people that want to see this park succeed. Im glad that the zoomerang and the other old dry rides are gone, this will make room for better rides that keep interest. I would see advertisements for the state fair and think that its sad that they had better rides than our theme park. I just hope that dan doesnt get discouraged, hes done a great job so fa; can't wait too see what 2015 brings! I wished they would at least hint around about what will be new for adults besides the rampage for next year.

Yeah, thats my opinion there has never been a whole lot of theme to this park other than naming some of the celebration street shops after a few local businesses, but thats ok as long as the customer services is great, rides are great, nice landscaping and cool logos for the new rides.

Dan just tweeted out that Rampage will be back up and running in 15 days (August 3rd). Hurray for them!

Technically what he said was that the track work would be completed in 15 days, which I'm assuming means they will be done with the wood work, still waiting on the trains and the chain he ordered a new chain last month from some where in england, and the train is currently being refurbished in philladelphia

Untitled1.png.b74f9baee4e3ba4d59db4dd78fcceced.png

I would absolutely love it if they could get Rampage up and running for a few days before the end of this season. I know they have said 2015 but maybe, just maybe they will preview it before next season. I would probably visit the park if they did.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so glad to see that Dan and his team are working so hard to bring back Rampage. It is one of the most memorable wooden rollercoasters I've ever been on (mostly because of the beating I took riding it for ERT for 1.5 hours on the Deep South trip). The layout is really fantastic as it is, so I can only imagine what the ride will be like when it is fully retracked!

That was an amazing trip, and an amazing day!

I saw where Six Flag's Magic Mountain is taking down the amazing woodie 'Colossus'.

I rode 'Colossus' and it was an amazing experience. I wish I could have done so once again before it comes down.

It is a shame it could not have been moved here.

Sorry I wasn't intending to yell.

I made it large so I could read/see it before I submitted it. I forgot to switch it back to normal before I hit the submit button.

Sorry, some of us do not see as well as others.

Edited by Sandra-A1

• 1 month later...